Parents of Michigan shooter charged

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
Jack Dupp
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Parents of Michigan shooter charged

Post by Jack Dupp »

I'd have bailed if I were them also. The justice system has totally jumped the shark.

Flash

Post by Flash »

OTOH, Michigan does have laws on the books about this sort of thing, as do around 40 states.

https://www.grabellaw.com/section-750-1 ... ature.html

Section 750.145 - Michigan Legislature
750.145 Minor; contributing to neglect or delinquency
In the state of Michigan, contributing to neglect or delinquency is a misdemeanor offense. Any adult who contributes to delinquent activities by those who are younger than age 17 may be held responsible. For example, a parent or other adult may host a party where teenage drinking is allowed for those in attendance who are under the age of 17. In essence, this may be considered neglect as allowing underage individuals to participate in activity that could potentially lead to delinquency in the future is illegal. Adults who encourage or allow illegal behavior in those under age 17, or who place minors in a situation, which exposes them to behavior that is illegal, may face criminal misdemeanor charges.
Dauph

Post by Dauph »

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1466 ... aign=daily

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... prosecutor

Mother texted 'don't do it' to suspected Michigan school shooter: prosecutor
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Suck My Glock wrote: December 4th, 2021, 8:17 pm Despite claims that they were en route to surrender, they were apprehended 500 yards from Canadian border.
getsmart.jpg
getsmart.jpg (10.57 KiB) Viewed 3528 times
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

If they are charging the kid as an adult, how can they go after the parents?

Seems like the DA would have to pick one or the other.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

XJThrottle wrote: December 5th, 2021, 3:13 pm If they are charging the kid as an adult, how can they go after the parents?

Seems like the DA would have to pick one or the other.
Not really. Imagine their adult son said "Hey Mom and Dad. I want to go shoot up the shopping mall. Can I borrow the gun?" They said, "Sure, son; here you go." Then the son would be liable as an adult, and the parents would be liable for facilitating. Or, their adult son says "Mom and Dad, I keep hearing voices in my head telling me to shoot people at work." Mom and Dad say "Don't do it, son," but they don't lock up the gun.
pvreb

Post by pvreb »

Flash wrote: December 5th, 2021, 6:52 am OTOH, Michigan does have laws on the books about this sort of thing, as do around 40 states.

https://www.grabellaw.com/section-750-1 ... ature.html

Section 750.145 - Michigan Legislature
750.145 Minor; contributing to neglect or delinquency
In the state of Michigan, contributing to neglect or delinquency is a misdemeanor offense. Any adult who contributes to delinquent activities by those who are younger than age 17 may be held responsible. For example, a parent or other adult may host a party where teenage drinking is allowed for those in attendance who are under the age of 17. In essence, this may be considered neglect as allowing underage individuals to participate in activity that could potentially lead to delinquency in the future is illegal. Adults who encourage or allow illegal behavior in those under age 17, or who place minors in a situation, which exposes them to behavior that is illegal, may face criminal misdemeanor charges.
According to that, it appears they can be charged with only a misdemeanor, not what the media is saying.
Manitu

Post by Manitu »

So they try and convict the 15yr. old as an adult, long sentence if not permanent stay. Parents are going to have big lawyer bills, they can argue their case, the son is just paperwork from now forward.
aroyobob

Post by aroyobob »

Manitu wrote: December 7th, 2021, 12:48 am So they try and convict the 15yr. old as an adult, long sentence if not permanent stay. Parents are going to have big lawyer bills, they can argue their case, the son is just paperwork from now forward.
Truer than you know (or maybe you did know.)

The parents of Michgian shooter Ethan Crumbley, 15, have retained the services of big-shot lawyers - included one who represented Larry Nassar - while their son has been left with a public defender.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rneys.html
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

aroyobob wrote: December 7th, 2021, 6:43 pm
Manitu wrote: December 7th, 2021, 12:48 am So they try and convict the 15yr. old as an adult, long sentence if not permanent stay. Parents are going to have big lawyer bills, they can argue their case, the son is just paperwork from now forward.

The parents of Michgian shooter Ethan Crumbley, 15, have retained the services of big-shot lawyers - included one who represented Larry Nassar - while their son has been left with a public defender.

Kids fubared, caught red handed, and way too many witnesses to get him OFF, but only thing they can do is maybe get the death penalty if it applies off table,
Now the parents on the other hand have a chance at exoneration of sorts, why not, it could become a landmark case
rj
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

knockonit wrote: December 8th, 2021, 6:11 am

Kids fubared, caught red handed, and way too many witnesses to get him OFF, but only thing they can do is maybe get the death penalty if it applies off table,
Now the parents on the other hand have a chance at exoneration of sorts, why not, it could become a landmark case
rj
Michigan doesn't have death penalty abolished in 1963. So the kid will spend the rest of his life in prison.

Waste of taxpayer money. A rope, a tree, and a pick up truck is far cheaper imo.
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

I would erase my kid from my memory if he did something like that. Without hesitation, especially the fact that this kid had zero remorse.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

mtptwo wrote: December 4th, 2021, 9:46 am I think this could be a horrible president.
I agree, the current resident IS a horrible president, those who voted for him can kiss my fat white middle aged a$$...

oh damn...wrong thread, rant over (yes, I am a grammar nazi) :lol:
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

This is a result of liberal racism

https://www.city-journal.org/school-sho ... -the-media

On April 19, 2021, McDonald’s CEO Chris Kempczinski suggested in a text to Chicago’s mayor that the parents of two children recently killed in Chicago’s gang activity had “failed those kids.” Kempczinski’s text became public in November 2021, prompting widespread accusations of racism and calls for his resignation. Kempczinski confessed to his white privilege and apologized profusely for holding parents responsible for the fate of their children.

On December 3, a district attorney in Michigan filed involuntary manslaughter charges against the parents of Ethan Crumbley. The 15-year-old Crumbley allegedly killed four fellow students during a shooting rampage at his Oxford, Michigan high school on November 30. The prosecutor based her indictment of Crumbley’s parents on the fact that they had allowed Ethan to access a legally purchased handgun and ought to have known that the boy was primed to kill his classmates. The press, Democratic politicians, and gun control advocates greeted the homicide charges against the Crumbley parents with ecstatic approbation.

The divergent reactions to the Kempczinski text message and the Crumbleys’ indictment illuminate the different standards to which minority parents and white parents are held. When black juveniles perpetrate street violence, the press and public officials almost never ask: where were the parents? The less involved a parent is in a child’s life, the less society expects of him. These double standards may have a benign intent, but they enable a cultural dysfunction whose effects are thousands of times more lethal than school shootings.

Kempczinski made his ill-fated suggestion of parental responsibility after seven-year-old Jaslyn Adams was gunned down by her father’s gang rivals. Jaslyn and her father Jontae Adams were parked in a McDonald’s drive-thru lane on Chicago’s West Side on April 18, 2021, when two gunmen jumped out of a car and unleashed at least 45 shots at their car. Jaslyn was struck six times and died; Jontae was seriously wounded. A convicted heroin dealer, Jontae knew that his gang’s enemies were out for his blood. The day before the shooting, he tweeted: “Opps probably downstairs waiting on me.”

Read the whole article at the link
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

well this could be one ugly precedent set if it goes away for parents, i'm on fence, no one really knows how or why, i don't trust any freaking news source none of it is about truth, its about headlines, and drama, even the so called conservative jts, there will be plenty of bullshiat to wade thru once this gets under way.
i sincerely hope these parents were not at fault, and had no idea the kid was wacked, but .....................