Springfield’s SA35

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
brian10x
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Springfield’s SA35

Post by brian10x »

h8pvmnt wrote: December 7th, 2021, 2:13 pm A more available Anaconda would be a nice thing! I watched Garand Thumbs review on the SA35. Interesting stuff. I have an FN High Power i bought from a member on here a long time ago. I truthfully have not shot it much so don't know what the reliability is. Probably should take it out soon. I also have a Tisas Regent Stainless copy. The Tisas i bought as a project just for fun. I installed some of the BH Spring Solutions upgrades including the SFS trigger kit, new pins and springs, extended slide stop, adjustable Guide rod, thicker Grips and whatever other cool HP part i could find and fit. I begin having failures to extract similar to the SA35 issue at about 3-400 rounds. I assumed it was my amateur gunsmithing, perceived poor quality of the Turkish parts, metallurgy etc. or just my typical Luck with new things. I talked to Kingjoey about it and he suggested an extractor change and tune. I had read that the Tisas Extractors had dubious heat treatment and were a good upgrade item, sounds like maybe the first one most should consider. I also had a Lone Wolf Threaded Barrel i wanted fitted, just for the hell of it. So Kingjoey took it and installed an upgraded extractor that he procured, tuned it and Hand fitted the LW Threaded barrel. He may have performed some other magic on it as well i am not sure. It has been running 100% since the extractor replacement and tuning. Both with the Lone wolf barrel and the original barrel. Joe challenged me to run some wolf steel case ammo thru it. I did procure some wolf and the now custom Tisas runs the wolf and any other ammo i have tried just fine. So it may be that the HP design has some inherent issues, or it may be that SA has shipped guns too quick before the bugs were worked out or both. With the Tisas i had low expectations for the less than 500.00 price tag that it would be perfect. It ran fine out of the box for the 100 or so rounds i ran thru it before customization. After the customization i have almost as much invested as an original uncustomized FN HP would cost on the used market today. So that may or may not be too smart. But it is a cool Stainless HP clone that shoots very well. To my knowledge the only Stainless HP type gun out there so far. I have slightly less than 1000 rounds thru it so maybe other issues will crop up. I would like to see Springfield address some of this and for the 700.00 price tag ship a gun that has as few issues as is possible. Sounds like the SA35 with a little work will be a fine HP clone and made in the US which is a plus in my book. As others have said you never want to be the first in line for something new to the market. Slow down and see what happens. Most will buy and not shoot much so the issues may never even crop up. Hopefully they will sell well, more testing is done and more models and options emerge.
Nice post, good info, but dear God, paragraphs man.

h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

Yea sorry about the rambling, ill go back to lurking.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

brian10x wrote: December 8th, 2021, 7:05 am
h8pvmnt wrote: December 7th, 2021, 2:13 pm A more available Anaconda ......Hopefully they will sell well, more testing is done and more models and options emerge.
Nice post, good info, but dear God, paragraphs man.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:
Dat_Ginga

Post by Dat_Ginga »

delta6 wrote: December 8th, 2021, 6:26 am
Dat_Ginga wrote: December 7th, 2021, 8:12 pm I have been hearing a few of the SA-35’s have been having some extractor issues. Either not working correctly or shearing off completely. If you have one make sure to inspect your extractor. I think it’s happening even with a relatively low number of rounds down range.
Where has this been reported??
I’ve had one customer come in and tell me personally that his extractor sheared off after one magazine. The gun is already back at Springfield. Garand Thumb on YouTube is also reporting some extractor issues around the 800 round mark.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

The video I posted goes into quite a bit of detail of issues with the two SA-35s they had.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

paulgt2164 wrote: December 8th, 2021, 11:20 am
The video I posted goes into quite a bit of detail of issues with the two SA-35s they had.
I get it... the statement was there were a few reports and I was interested in the other reports. We know the guns that were tested in the video were delivered many month before the actual release of the production guns.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

GarandThumbs issues, and a few other reviewers issues had made me decide to wait till the fancier version comes out. I am sure it will be called the Champion Range Officer Elite TRP Loaded Elite EMP GI Operator model - but hopefully when they release the ones that are like ~800 it will have a nicer finish and maybe a few doo-dads like an extended beaver tail or something. They should have the issues sorted by then.

Guns and Ammo review had issues with a ~300 serial numbered gun - but their replacement "seems" fine and they proclaim new guns "will run" lol. (typical gun magazine - don't lose those advert dollars.)
https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/s ... iew/453228

It will be curious to see what happens when other reviewers post up their videos that actually put more than a few hundred rounds through them. I think we will be seeing more problems (if they exist) soon as the guns have been in people's hands a bit longer.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

paulgt2164 wrote: December 8th, 2021, 11:37 am GarandThumbs.....called the Champion Range Officer Elite TRP Loaded Elite EMP GI Operator model ........
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:
Longhair1957

Post by Longhair1957 »

I will find out if mines troubled. While I typically won’t buy a just released firearm. I figure, it’s not a new design really. Springfield is a reputable maker.
I still have my 1st gen stainless Delta Elite. I bought it new in the mid 80’s. It has seen 10,000 easy. About 25 years ago the nose broke off extractor. Replaced it.
So,
While 1st runs are risky, they are not an absolute failure either.
Of the last 50 or so firearms I’ve bought. The only with issues have been with new Marlins. I’ve sent 3 back, unfired!
was21

Post by was21 »

Just my observation

In the last 10 years of smithing only had to fix 3 broken BHP’s. 2 were the old style 1911 style extractors…. 1 was cracked FP stop( still ran though)

In the last 3 months have had 6 SA 35’s in….. 5 for extractor issues…. 2 hammer problems…. 1 trigger.

Still will get one to be the baby of my BHP family…. Hope I won’t need to fix it too! LOL

YMMV
Longhair1957

Post by Longhair1957 »

was21 wrote: December 15th, 2021, 7:40 pm Just my observation

In the last 10 years of smithing only had to fix 3 broken BHP’s. 2 were the old style 1911 style extractors…. 1 was cracked FP stop( still ran though)

In the last 3 months have had 6 SA 35’s in….. 5 for extractor issues…. 2 hammer problems…. 1 trigger.

Still will get one to be the baby of my BHP family…. Hope I won’t need to fix it too! LOL

YMMV
Does it use the same extractor?
Are they too brittle? (Extractor)
Longhair1957

Post by Longhair1957 »

Just in case, I ordered a C&S extractor and spring
was21

Post by was21 »

Longhair1957 wrote: December 17th, 2021, 9:47 pm
was21 wrote: December 15th, 2021, 7:40 pm Just my observation

YMMV
Does it use the same extractor?
Are they too brittle? (Extractor)
Just saw this….
More dimensional problems than material or heat treat.
You may still have to do some fitting but the C&S is top quality.
Longhair1957

Post by Longhair1957 »

Thanks,
I’ve got some more things coming. And I want to get a another few hundred rounds through it. (So far it’s had zero problems with extraction or injection or feeding.)
Then I’ll change out parts
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

There is one for sale on Armslist right now if anyone is interested. Seems like a decent price

https://www.armslist.com/posts/13730066 ... mory-sa-35