SCOTUS reverses lower court on firearm pocession

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
xerts1191
ArizonaShooting.org Member

SCOTUS reverses lower court on firearm pocession

Post by xerts1191 »

mtptwo

Re: SCOTUS reverses lower court on firearm pocession

Post by mtptwo »

I have to agree with this one. A felon just carrying a gun doesn't mean they intend to cause harm with it. They still get hit on the felonious possession though.
curt1950
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by curt1950 »

I always wondered about this, where in the Constitution does it say once your time in jail is done you still can't have a firearm ? Do we need to amend the Constitution to say this ? Just wondering what others feel about this.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

curt1950 wrote: June 11th, 2021, 12:05 pm I always wondered about this, where in the Constitution does it say once your time in jail is done you still can't have a firearm ? Do we need to amend the Constitution to say this ? Just wondering what others feel about this.
I've always been of the belief that in order to get folks back into "normal civilization", the rights they lost while imprisoned should be reestablished once out of prison and off parole.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
mongo45acp

Post by mongo45acp »

So you screwed up and transgressed against society. You were sent to jail. You served your time and were released. So why aren't your full rights restored to you? Afterall, you paid your debt to society.
Watch yer 6!
Mongo

PS: does not apply to repeat offenders; you had you second chance and blew it!
oldslurrydog1

Post by oldslurrydog1 »

mongo45acp wrote: June 11th, 2021, 12:37 pm So you screwed up and transgressed against society. You were sent to jail. You served your time and were released. So why aren't your full rights restored to you? Afterall, you paid your debt to society.
Watch yer 6!
Mongo

PS: does not apply to repeat offenders; you had you second chance and blew it!
This
A_C Guy

Post by A_C Guy »

kenpoprofessor wrote: June 11th, 2021, 12:22 pm
curt1950 wrote: June 11th, 2021, 12:05 pm I always wondered about this, where in the Constitution does it say once your time in jail is done you still can't have a firearm ? Do we need to amend the Constitution to say this ? Just wondering what others feel about this.
I've always been of the belief that in order to get folks back into "normal civilization", the rights they lost while imprisoned should be reestablished once out of prison and off parole.

Clyde
Justice Amy says the same thing, except for voting.

Watch any old western, the bad guys always got their guns back when leaving prison. If it were not the case, the earliest western stories would have not gotten away with such a noticeable error in the storyline.
A_C Guy

Post by A_C Guy »

deleted double tap
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I agree that some felons should have their rights fully restored, but not all. Especially felons that have a proven track record of violence. If your felony was for tax evasion or something less nefarious than assault, murder, etc., you should have all your rights restored the second you leave prison. As Justice Roberts pointed out, 59% of violent felons are back in jail within 8 years, but I would bet that is more of a problem with re-inserting back into normal society.

As Red once pointed out, they became “institutionalized”. They all don’t find themselves fixing up an old fishing boat in Zihuatanejo.
tripletap

Post by tripletap »

ive done restoration of rights for felons
and some misd. for going on twenty years.
the process restores most and sometimes all rights- there are a few qualifying situations-
*edited* ive never been told no until 6 months ago- 3X offender guns involved kidnapping, drugs, stolen car etc.
on the 1st submittal he got everything but gun rights- talked to the clerk today- same judge restored all his rights-
once you paid ur debt i believe rights are rights-
Last edited by tripletap on June 12th, 2021, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
sonofbp

Post by sonofbp »

If someone cannot be trusted with a firearm in public they shouldn't be released back into public.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

QuietM4 wrote: June 11th, 2021, 4:45 pm
As Red once pointed out, they became “institutionalized”. They all don’t find themselves fixing up an old fishing boat in Zihuatanejo.
Ahhh, yes. One of my faves...

Would you any of you want to bet this is just one more facet of CONTROL aimed towward our Black citizens? I would not be the least bit surprised....

"Well Mr. Brown, you're now a free man. But, never forget you DID steal them groceries off of those white-folks porch....'n that's how you ended up in here with your felony." :roll:
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

sonofbp wrote: June 11th, 2021, 9:45 pm If someone cannot be trusted with a firearm in public they shouldn't be released back into public.
Yep, kinda the way I see it. I've been saying this for twenty years, but hard headed folks have been brainwashed to believe it's OK to deny other's their rights simply because they made a couple of mistakes in life.

Clyde
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

kenpoprofessor wrote: June 12th, 2021, 6:02 pm
sonofbp wrote: June 11th, 2021, 9:45 pm If someone cannot be trusted with a firearm in public they shouldn't be released back into public.
Yep, kinda the way I see it. I've been saying this for twenty years, but hard headed folks have been brainwashed to believe it's OK to deny other's their rights simply because they made a couple of mistakes in life.

Clyde
Agreed and I personally know people who DID violent things, went to prison and have turned their lives around to where they was unrecognizable to the crowd they used to hang around with.
jledman

Post by jledman »

Felons with firearm rights, the horror of it all. Let them carry a knife or a stick or pick up a rock.