Review: AimShot Laser Boresight Kit

This is the place to post your news and reviews on anything that's firearm related (rifles, magazines, ammo, barrels, holsters, training classes, optics, etc). Please try to make the reviews as thorough as possible and include pictures, or links to pictures if possible, as well as price(s). Some syndicated content will go here as well.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Review: AimShot Laser Boresight Kit

Post by admin »

I recently bought one of these kits with the arbors for various calibers I have: https://www.aimshot.com/product-page/kt-rifle-green

Given the cost of ammo lately, I figured it would be a good investment and make things that much easier when going to the range with a new gun, or gun with new optic. Yes, I know there are a lot of other methods to get on paper without spending $150 on a kit, but I thought there was value in using the same method for a 50BMG, to a 12G, to a C&R rifle, to an AR, a 308 or even a .22. I ordered the basic rifle kit with the green laser and external power pack. It came a few weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality. I decided to put it in a gun that I knew was already sighted in to see how accurate it was and much to my surprise, it was spot-on.

So I moved on to my .50 BMG and sighted the scope in enough to get it on paper at 100Y, then moved on to some other rifles. The way it works is that the laser is built into a 5.56 size case that you insert into arbors of various sizes so that it fits into the chamber and is centered. The back of the 5.56 laser has a wire that feeds to an external 3x AA battery pack (if you use the little watch batteries, you only get like 5 mins of runtime before the batteries run out), the external battery pack has a magnetic back that attaches to the gun receiver or some other metal part near the ejection port. It's important to not close the bolt because the cable extends out of the rear of the chamber. Anyway, it was quick and easy to sight them in. Then I decided to move on to one of my AR's. With the BCG locked back, I put the laser in the chamber and sighted it in. Then to remove the laser, I put the gun on its stock so gravity would cause it to come out of the chamber. It was a bit tight, so I naturally gave the gun a little tap onto the floor to help it along... and guess what happened? Yep, the bolt slammed closed. :doh:

I sat there for a second in disbelief of what I did. Argh. I carefully pulled the bolt back only to see that I completely severed the cable due to my stupidity. Ugh. I had only had the kit for 30 minutes and I already broke it. I sheepishly called the company and told them exactly what I did and asked if I could fix it. Spoke to a guy named Jeff who confirmed that it happened quite a bit, that it wasn't a problem and he'd get me squared away. $15 and a couple weeks later and it's back up and working.

A+ on support from the company. The guy even called me to suggest that a tip to save it if that happens again is to put a glob of hot glue on the back to act as a buffer. He said they thought about doing that from the factory, but thought most people would be turned off to how that would look.

Anyway, the AimShot is more expensive than other brands, but I did try some of the other ones you can get on Amazon for a lot less, and they are really bad. I even dropped one into the arbors that came with the Aimshot and the cheap Amazon ones were way off.

Good product if you are like me and have a lot of different rifles (or you like to swap optics/sights around a lot) and you want to get on paper without needing to shoot a lot of rounds.

XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Review: AimShot Laser Boresight Kit

Post by XJThrottle »

Been on my list of "maybe buys" for a bit. Thanks for taking the time.
rockbronco
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by rockbronco »

I always wondered how well the bore sights worked. Having go through the rezero process all the time really keeps me from swapping around optics as much as I want to. This could be a good way to shorten the time it takes.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I guess AimShot saw this mini review and offered this:

"We''ll offer a 10% discount on any orders placed on the aimshot.com website from folks from ArizonaShooting.org."
Use "AZShooting" as the coupon code when you check out and it will give you 10% off the MSRP pricing of anything on the website. Good from now till the end of March. One per customer.

Another tip, if you mark the bore sight with a sharpie from the center to the "top" you can use that mark to index the bore sight so it's in the same direction each time you put it in the chamber. So the mark goes from the middle to the top each time you put it in the rifle. Then after you sight the rifle in at the range, go back to your 20 yard target you used for the bore sighting and write down the change (i.e. the laser is 2" low and 1" to the right) then any time you need to re-check your zero, you will have a record to compare it to (if you go on a trip somewhere, or drop your rifle, or before the season, etc).
Note that I, nor ArizonaShooting.org get any kickback, product, discount or any compensation for this.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Bumping this as I'm about to pull the trigger on a system like this.

Do they offer other "dies" than what is listed? Like 6.5G, 300BO, 450BM, etc..
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

XJThrottle wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 2:53 pm Bumping this as I'm about to pull the trigger on a system like this.

Do they offer other "dies" than what is listed? Like 6.5G, 300BO, 450BM, etc..
A lot of them are for multiple calibers. The documentation on the site says which ones.
xerts1911

Post by xerts1911 »

Thank You