When hiking in cougar country, BRING YOUR F@*KING GUN - (video)

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: When hiking in cougar country, BRING YOUR F@*KING GUN - (video)

Post by XJThrottle »

12ga. 00 Buck.

Shockwave on a sling would be best.

Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by Suck My Glock »

Boriqua wrote: October 15th, 2020, 9:47 am Ok so we talked about bears quite a bit over the years ...
what is an accepted adequate round for Cougar? Looked to be about 130lbs ... Im thinking no more than .357 and maybe even a hot .40 will get the job done.

Wait !!! Its all about shot placement !! :lol:
In all seriousness, a wild predator has a different physiology than a weak human. Plenty of angry and motivated humans have taken multiple rounds of major caliber and still beat the snot out of the shooter before dying. A Mountain Lion protecting her cubs will rip you open faster than you can blink. Do you really want to piss her off by shooting her with anything less than the maximum caliber you are capable of using effectively?

Now certainly it would be better to have even a wimpy little pocket pistol in .32acp than nothing at all, like the kid in the video. The first rule is "have a gun", after all.

For simply hiking in the woods for "what if",...this makes a strong argument for a super lightweight long gun, like perhaps a KelTec SU16 or one of the ultralightweight AR15s out there.

Dad used to have an H&R Topper single-shot 12ga with the barrel cut down to the legal minimum. It was so lightweight, it was actually painful to shoot, but it was easy to carry around in the field all day. He'd keep it in the truck, and whenever it was snake season and we had reason to get out and walk open territory, he'd take it along with a handful of shells in his pocket. Perhaps not an ideal solution,...but it would have been preferable to open hands with a cougar.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I am feeling a search for a 44 magnum coming on. ..... wait ... I just got a bit of a chubby so I think I am right .. I might need to replace the 44 I had years ago :dance:

and I have video evidence of why I need it!
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

I'm a fan of 45 super. If 13 rounds of that doesn't put it down or at least make it change its mind, then I guess it was just my time.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

Ca'mon man, just a mama watching over her spawn, mother nature baby, mother nature.
Rj
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

knockonit wrote: October 15th, 2020, 1:47 pm Ca'mon man, just a mama watching over her spawn, mother nature baby, mother nature.
Rj
Exactly. She was just driving back the runner to a distance that she felt was far enough. If she wanted to attack, she would have. The only acceptable use of a firearm in this situation is to fire off a warning shot to scare away the protective mother. She wasn't hunting, she was protecting.

Just like when people kill rattle snakes, we have to remember that we are the ones who are trespassing and/or invading into their habitat.
Last edited by Rock Hardson on October 15th, 2020, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

lol, yip a city slicker woulda shot her, cubs woulda died, and then we'd be less three big kitties.
snugly little fellas.

cats are special, amazing animals, had one stalk me down in patagonia while hunting white tail, once confronted it ran off, never got within 40 yards or so, I could hear then, amazing what one misses when the ears go away.
rj
Isnake

Post by Isnake »

smithers599 wrote: October 13th, 2020, 1:46 pm Next time at the range, I will practice shooting with one hand, while taking video with the other.
Heh
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

Normally I'd leave a cat like that alone. But if I backed off as much as that guy did and it was still lunging at me, I'd probably have shot her. That said, trespass or not, I'm shooting a venomous snake when I come upon one. I'm with Indiana Jones on that one.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

I'd carry either my M&P 9 or my P320 9, as I shoot well with them. I have a chest rig for the Sig. 17 rounds is enough to put a few in the dirt to scare her away before "I mean it....".
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I dont want to hear about no City slicker Sh*t. I am out in the desert pretty often. I would imagine at this stage in my life .. more than most of you rugged outdoorsman. I might be out there with a camera instead of a gun but I have trudged a whole lot of dirt.

I am out there because I enjoy nature and the natural. I also dont like killing things dont need killing

but

Id a given that b**** her space for maybe 100 yds. "I dig it mama you are just trying to protect the kids." Universal in most child bearing creatures.

Dude walked backwards for some half mile whimpering like a little Pu$$y

Fuk that ... After 100 yds or so mama wants to keep pressing me .. mama gets shot. Her baby daddy can come and explain to the kids how mama, living the gangsta life and press'in some dude just a little to far ... became a wall hanging.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

aw ya city slicker, scared of a little pussy :o :lol: :dance:
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

knockonit wrote: October 16th, 2020, 6:56 am aw ya city slicker, scared of a little pussy :o :lol: :dance:
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I seen some scary pussies!!! :shock:
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Trump would have just grabbed it.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »