Majority Of Hurricane Laura Deaths Linked To Improper Use Of Portable Generators

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Majority Of Hurricane Laura Deaths Linked To Improper Use Of Portable Generators

Post by Suck My Glock »

I don't using NPR as a news source, but even they occasionally do real news.

This just goes to show you that surviving a disaster in the immediate term is not necessarily the entire success. You gotta not accidentally kill yourself in the aftermath also.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/01/90851523 ... generators

More deaths associated with Hurricane Laura were caused by the improper use of portable generators than the storm itself.

And officials warn that the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning persists, as thousands of households in Louisiana remain without power.

Eight of the 15 hurricane-related deaths confirmed by the Louisiana Department of Health are attributed to carbon monoxide poisoning from portable generators, which can provide life-saving power in emergency situations but also pose a deadly threat if used incorrectly.

The unidentified victims of carbon monoxide poisoning range in age from 24 to 84 years old, and outnumber the deaths caused by drowning, fallen trees and storm cleanup.

bill460

Re: Majority Of Hurricane Laura Deaths Linked To Improper Use Of Portable Generators

Post by bill460 »

This happens in the Midwest every Winter when a cold wave hits. With idiots using heaters and barbecue grills indoors, and dying from carbon monoxide poisoning, or else catching the whole joint on fire. It's nothing new, and is simply Darwin's way of cleaning up the gene pool.
az_ranger74

Re: Majority Of Hurricane Laura Deaths Linked To Improper Use Of Portable Generators

Post by az_ranger74 »

I was living in Louisiana for Laura then Delta right behind her. The generator issues were just a small part in the death toll. The other factors were the quick rise in water, inaccurate reports of tracking of the storm and just over all unpreparedness. Even for Louisiana! Then on top of all of that we were hit by snow and a huge ice storm! So yes generator fails were a part but so was not having back up sources for heat, fuel, water, etc. just my humble opinion