Any radio guys out there?

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
LongRangEnthusiast
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Any radio guys out there?

Post by LongRangEnthusiast »

Just picked up a radio and I'm looking to figure out how to set it up for small team comms (1 vehicle to another in the backcountry). It's a Baofeng UV-5R.

Flash
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Any radio guys out there?

Post by Flash »

I"m a Ham. You a licensed Ham?
mtptwo

Post by mtptwo »

I should really go for my Ham license. Just haven't had the time to really sit down and learn my radios that well.
Matwell

Post by Matwell »

It's not that tough and can be quite handy at times
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I too just got a fang for the same shtf prep... seems like you can't just wait around till something happens to learn how to use it- you need to join a club and take your test... then people will talk to you.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

LongRangEnthusiast wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 10:45 pm Just picked up a radio and I'm looking to figure out how to set it up for small team comms (1 vehicle to another in the backcountry). It's a Baofeng UV-5R.
I picked up two of these a couple weeks ago. Need to try and stretch it their legs. So far they are so so from in the house to a car driving away..

Taking them to Lake Powell next week. So, we'll see...
LongRangEnthusiast

I am not a licensed HAM user, but I'm open to getting it. Just figured I'd play with the many features that don't require that first and see how much I feel the need to pursue a HAM license.
LongRangEnthusiast

For those interested, I found this to be a great resource: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/
Cbvanb

Post by Cbvanb »

I have the same Baeofeng radio and I bought a longer whip antenna for them(I got a deal on a 5 pack). I've been studying off and on for the ham radio test, although it the SHTF I don't think a license will matter any more. In the meantime, the radios are still in the box, as I haven't had time to work with them. My understanding is they have to be programmed prior to use?
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

That is my understanding too- you need to get the proper programming cable to setup your freq list, repeaters and channels- may as well get a spare battey and longer antenna while your at it -buy it from the feng distributor and they don't charge tax...

Yeah when SHTF nobody is gonna be checking license or fining anyone- but the time to practice getting skilled is now and you pretty much need the license to do so...
LongRangEnthusiast

Harrier wrote: September 9th, 2020, 3:28 pm Yeah when SHTF nobody is gonna be checking license or fining anyone- but the time to practice getting skilled is now and you pretty much need the license to do so...
True. Hadn't really considered that.
kastr0

Post by kastr0 »

I double LongRangEnthusiast;
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/ is a great resource. Download some of these charts for offline usage. Print them out as a JIC.

I bought some USB Chargers for the UV5R Radios, that way I can charge them using any USB Battery Bank or similar device.

SHTF scenarios these radios overlap the FRS/GMRS/MURS Bands and could be used to interact with these frequencies. Having a handy list of these frequencies for offline usage. Print them out as a JIC.

There are also Amateur Radio Clubs (ARC) that have repeaters, search for "your area + amateur radio club" in google ( i.e. Chandler AZ amateur radio club). If there is a club nearby that hosts a repeater the frequencies should be readily available on their site.

The Programming Cable has come in handy, download the CHIRP program, and become familiar with it. It is easy to use and you can use some of its features without the cable.

I have been thinking about Simplex Repeaters, basically, listen to, record, and repeat system. While they seem odd they do have their applications, especially in an SHTF scenario IMO. They have some application-based repeaters or hardware-based ones. http://f6dqm.free.fr/soft/simplex/en/simplex.htm
Silverback

Post by Silverback »

Just started studying to get my ham. I had one like 30 years ago but been meaning to get back into it a bit. Besides I own a business so I can toss up an antenna more or less at will.
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

I got my license about a year or two ago. Have a couple of handsets, need to join a club and get familiar with them. My buddy is pretty well versed in it and has been helping me.
zold

Post by zold »

Desert Rat wrote: November 17th, 2020, 6:32 pm I got my license about a year or two ago. Have a couple of handsets, need to join a club and get familiar with them. My buddy is pretty well versed in it and has been helping me.
I'm in the same boat. I passed the test and have been trying to do some reading and such online to learn more about radio, antennas, etc. It is really interesting stuff, but sometimes it would be nice to have a translator who could cut through the jargon a bit.