Got My Old Homelite XL Chainsaw Running Again !

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
bill460
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Got My Old Homelite XL Chainsaw Running Again !

Post by bill460 »

It's has been sitting on the shelf for the last 25 years, collecting dirt and dust. These were well made saws. Constructed of all powder coated Aluminum, with very little plastic. And good, strong running engines. So this morning I decided I would try to get it running again. It's been a good saw, but has been badly neglected. And I felt bad about it.

So the first thing I did was open the fuel cap and turn the unit upside down. I thought it was empty, then after about 10 seconds this vile thick snot like substance came running out. It resembled a slimy 90W gear oil. Most likely it's what was left over after what gas was in the tank evaporated over the last 25 years... Yecch!

I filled the fuel tank about half full of fresh 40-1 Tru-Fuel Mix, and swished it around, and let it soak up and absorb whatever assorted crap was left in the tank, while I washed the unit down with some clean Kerosene. And then I blew it all off with compressed air. I wiped it down and detailed it a bit with some WD-40 and a clean, soft cloth. It cleaned up really nice.

After I got it all nice and clean, I pulled the plug and replaced it with a new one. Then I drained the fuel tank again, and filled it with fresh 40-1 Tru-Fuel, with some Sta-Bil added to it. Along with about a tablespoon full of some fresh Husqvarna Synthetic Blend 2-Stroke Oil, to richen up the mixture a bit. (I was able to find the operators manual on line. And Homelite say's it should run on a 32-1 mixture of gas and oil).

I oiled and adjusted the chain, and drained and filled the bar oil tank with some fresh Mobil 1, 10W-40 I had laying around. I really didn't expect it to start. But after a couple of pulls with the choke on, I switched it off, held the throttle wide open, gave it a yank, and it fired right up after the third pull! I was shocked! It stumbled and smoked a bit until it burned all the crap "fuel" out of the lines and carburetor.

Then I let it idle for a few minutes to warm up, while goosing the throttle to draw more of the fresh fuel through the lines, and into the carb. Now at full throttle it really screams! To be honest, it's the best I ever remember it running. I let it get good and warmed up, and all total I burned through about a third of a tank of the fresh, Sta-Bil treated Tru-Fuel.

So now she's good to go. I hate neglecting power equipment. And I thought for sure I was going to have to pull the carburetor off this thing, and soak it. Especially after seeing that nasty crap that drained out of the fuel tank. But she fired right up, saving me a lot of aggravation.

So now between this and my old Honda generator, along with my brand new Echo 8010-T power blower, and my Simpson / Kohler Power Washer, I've got everything all freshly fueled and running like Rolex's. I feel a lot better now!

Edge

Re: Got My Old Homelite XL Chainsaw Running Again !

Post by Edge »

That's great. I have an Echo, Husky and Mac collecting dust. Recently got all my generators and pressure washer running good, not ready to tackle for the 2 strokes.
bill460

Post by bill460 »

I just bought an Echo 8010-T power blower, and it's performance is unbelievable. (211 MPH @ 1,071 CFM). It will literally blow 1-1/2" gravel right down to the dirt. It got me into the mood to get all of my power equipment up and running with fresh fuel. The Homelite was the first I tackled.

I also got my 80's Honda EM-600 Generator up and running on fresh fuel. My Kohler / Simpson Pressure Washer was sitting with Sta-Bil treated fuel for over a year. I drained it and filled it with fresh Tru-Fuel, and now she's good to go.

I have a new Echo Hedge Trimmer coming Tuesday, and I'm looking forward to using it. I'm having my house painted next month, and I want to get all of my bushes and shrubs trimmed back so they can get at everything. This new Echo should do the trick.

I also bought some PRI-G Fuel Treatment. It's a lot better than Sta-Bil, (which I've used for years). They say it can even restore bad gas to near refinery freshness. So I treated all of my equipment with it. As well as using the Tru-Fuel which contains no Ethanol, and is 92 Octane. I ordered new spark plugs for everything as well. From now on I'm going to take better care of this stuff. This is the PRI-G Fuel Treatment.

xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Looks brand new
landon

Post by landon »

Great read! Sounds like a magazine article. Nice looking chain saw too! Congrats!
Eleroo

Post by Eleroo »

Good read! I have a Remington Rodeo chainsaw that I used a few times and has been sitting in the garage for a few years now. I do use Pri-g, but I am guessing I will be going through the same in a few years to get it started. Those Homelite XL are nice!