Future meat shortage?

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
Pipedoc
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Future meat shortage?

Post by Pipedoc »

shooter444 wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 9:41 am Yup,... prepping, with a stocked freezer,... without a generator to insure function, isn't good prepping, imo!
how much fuel can most urban dwellers store safely? can you run yours long enough to use up the meat?

Flash

Post by Flash »

I've been using a separate freezer for 35 or 40 years.

Some advice: Don't get a chest freezer. When you have a freezer, you need to do a first in, first out rotation of food and it's a lot harder to do that in a chest than an upright.

Some more advice. Get a good quality vacuum sealer and vacuum seal all your meat and other things you freeze. Meat will last years in a freezer with little to no taste degredation if you do this.

Last but not least advice. When the panic mode subsides and things return to normal, watch for BOGO sales and buy as much meat as possible that way and seal and freeze it. Lowers your food bills substantially.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Flash wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 10:51 am ...When you have a freezer, you need to do a first in, first out rotation of food and it's a lot harder to do that in a chest than an upright...
Absolutely. I label the vacuum bags with a sharpie when I seal them up to keep track of my meat by date. I also cut smaller boxes down to stand steaks up in nice tight rows so that I can easily pull out boxes worth of meat and rearrange them for just this reason. It makes rotations easier no matter the freezer type, and it's a whole lot easier than sifting through a mountain of randomly stacked meat.
Flash

Post by Flash »

AZ_Five56 wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 11:03 am Absolutely. I label the vacuum bags with a sharpie when I seal them up to keep track of my meat by date. I also cut smaller boxes down to stand steaks up in nice tight rows so that I can easily pull out boxes worth of meat and rearrange them for just this reason. It makes rotations easier no matter the freezer type, and it's a whole lot easier than sifting through a mountain of randomly stacked meat.
We do the sharpie thing also, plus we have the freezer divided into sections. Hamburger, steaks, chicken, ribs, seafood, french fries and so on.

The key is being organized.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Pipedoc wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 10:47 am how much fuel can most urban dwellers store safely? can you run yours long enough to use up the meat?

"How much fuel can most urban dwellers store safely?"

Sorry, I haven't a clue.

"Can you run yours long enough to use up the meat?"

Hmmm, that would depend on how many freezers/meat, how many people eating the meat, and quantity of fuel to run the generator.

I can tell you this much,...once a FULL freezer has reached the CONTENT SOLID FREEZE POINT,... electricity needed to maintain frozen meat can be done sporadically, especially in emergency situations. Constant electric use, is not necessary, or smart,... imo.
Flash

Post by Flash »

shooter444 wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 12:01 pm
Pipedoc wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 10:47 am how much fuel can most urban dwellers store safely? can you run yours long enough to use up the meat?

"How much fuel can most urban dwellers store safely?"

Sorry, I haven't a clue.

"Can you run yours long enough to use up the meat?"

Hmmm, that would depend on how many freezers/meat, how many people eating the meat, and quantity of fuel to run the generator.

I can tell you this much,...once a FULL freezer has reached the CONTENT SOLID FREEZE POINT,... electricity needed to maintain frozen meat can be done sporadically, especially in emergency situations. Constant electric use, is not necessary, or smart,... imo.
And here's another one for you guys. If there's no electricity to run the freezer there's also none to run your electric stove. How much propane and/or charcoal do you have on hand? Enough for cooking every day for a few months?

If not, look into a Sun Oven. I've mentioned them on the board a few times but I'll do it again. You can even cook when the sky is totally overcast.

Think about it.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I do have enough propane / grill for a couple months cooking. But, years ago, I often looked into SUN OVENS, for back country packing,... light weight, portable, collapsible, and can easily be hand made! I liked the idea much more than a open camp fire in the dry desert, but, just never gathered up the materials to make one.

Great idea, Flash!
Flash

Post by Flash »

There are lightweight portable ones, then there are bigger, heavier ones. Mine is around 20+ pounds and is a commercial one.

Here's what I have:
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

:dance: Not to mention, we just happen to live in one of the best areas in the country, for SUN OVENS! :dance:
mjf

Post by mjf »

have not been able to find a freezer anywhere in the valley.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

mjf wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 5:07 pm have not been able to find a freezer anywhere in the valley.

LOL, yeah, they sold out almost a month, and one huge waiting list, my buddys trying to find one to bring his critter home from processor. have to watch the craigslist and hope like hell you get it first.
happy sunday, just glad to be here
Rj
Pipedoc

Post by Pipedoc »

damn, so much for free advice LOL
Vinnie B

Post by Vinnie B »

I agree with the standup freezer being easier and more useful. I have one of each and the chest freezer is the backup and overflow freezer then I rotate into the standup.
I had no idea freezers were in such high demand but it makes sense right now. I know of someone that is moving and might sell theirs so if they do I will let y'all know
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

You don't have to freeze meat to keep it.
You can also can it.
It will last longer canned than frozen and taste just as good.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

mjf wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 5:07 pm have not been able to find a freezer anywhere in the valley.
I ended up ordering the one I needed from Sears. Won't be in for a few weeks though.