Future meat shortage?

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
62Grains
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Future meat shortage?

Post by 62Grains »

I keep seeing quite a bit of stuff in the news about meat shortages? Gonna be the next TP rush? I do some hunting and I usually do have quite a bit of extra meat around, but this looks like it might be quite the shortage for a while especially if they keep culling the herds. Any thoughts?

Flash

Re: Future meat shortage?

Post by Flash »

If they don't open up this country soon, it's going to be worse than the Great Depression.
G34

Post by G34 »

its already happening. chicken sold out of the frys in suprise off the 303
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

There's no meat shortage. A bunch of the processing facilities are shutting down, so they're just slaughtering the animals and piling them in heaps. That's why Trump was invoking the Defense Production Act to order all of the facilities to open back up. The trouble is that the mere mention of a meat shortage will inevitably create a period of shortages from people panic buying just like with the toilet paper.
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

With the packing plants closing down, there most certainly be a shortage. Cattle and hog farmers have thousands ready to go to market. They can't afford to keep feeding them. I'd stock up on shelf stable canned proteins.
theflatline

Post by theflatline »

I have heard as much as 30% of the beef/pork production is exported. The other issue is inflexibility of flow. They cant seem to redirect restaurant production to consumer/store side. This seems to a problem in other production areas as well. Hope these times help redirect thoughts on production.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

probably oughta stock up on pork, and beef, and chicken, most of the pork plants have been shut down, so..................or if you know a small processor, buy a pig from a grower and getr done. same with beef, processing will take longer with new rules inplace and with the distancing issue, in plants. just saying, more control of the populace, control the food outlets
Rj
TacMedic

Post by TacMedic »

They want people to buy all they can to increase their profit!

But seriously everyone just needs to turn off the “news” and go about normal life. Let’s do as we always should have, stay home if your sick, care for others, support the constitution.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

It wouldn't hurt to buy a few cans of survival prep type meat. We just opened a can of Yoders ground beef I bought back in 2008 and it was as good as the day it was packed... only consideration is, its $10 a #2 can
THE ICEMAN

Post by THE ICEMAN »

TacMedic wrote: April 29th, 2020, 2:58 pm They want people to buy all they can to increase their profit!

But seriously everyone just needs to turn off the “news” and go about normal life. Let’s do as we always should have, stay home if your sick, care for others, support the constitution.
Yep...
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

TacMedic wrote: April 29th, 2020, 2:58 pm But seriously everyone just needs to turn off the “news” and go about normal life. Let’s do as we always should have, stay home if your sick, care for others, support the constitution.
NO TRUER WORDS HAVE BEEN WRITTEN, ON THIS SUBJECT!

IMHO
delta6

Post by delta6 »

TacMedic wrote: April 29th, 2020, 2:58 pm They want people to buy all they can to increase their profit!

You know this how???
I'm a farmer and rancher.... I'll wait for your reply... You a cowboy??
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Hey Delta6,... I had the same question pop into my mind, but, if I asked, like you just did, I get strange little heel nippers looking to find some excuse to call me contentious. :whistle:

You'll notice above, when I replied to the same post, I deleted that sentence. Guess I am getting soft in my old age. :violin:

Nice to hear that a rancher is on the board,... I'm no cowboy, just a horseman,... but appreciate all my cattle ranching friends and neighbors.
Last edited by shooter444 on April 30th, 2020, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Here's an interesting addition to the conversation...
https://thecounter.org/meatpacker-price ... fI1o8ikg24

Basically, some of the big beef packers are being sued for conspiring to fix cattle prices. If this is true, it's pretty messed up.
TacMedic

Post by TacMedic »

delta6 wrote: April 29th, 2020, 7:12 pm

You know this how???
I'm a farmer and rancher.... I'll wait for your reply... You a cowboy??
Did I say anything about ranchers/farmers? “They” could mean the “cooperate overlords” or ruling class....Could I have been talking about grocery stores or anything else in the supply chain?

Could it have been sarcasm in reference to the run on toilet paper or something like that. Didn’t mean to strike a nerve. 🤷🏼‍♂️