Which gas mask?

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Which gas mask?

Post by smithers599 »

I am sitting here watching the news about riots and tear gas in Paris, and thinking a gas mask might be a good thing to have in the car.

What brand or features should I look for?

Kingjoey

Re: Which gas mask?

Post by Kingjoey »

There are good 3M full face masks that you can get with organic gas filters that will work for that use. If you are looking for more long term use I would go with whatever NATO or the US military is currently using since cartridges will be available if things go to hell here
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

M50
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

Whatever brand/model you get, make sure that the filters you want (there's a bunch of them depending on what you're trying to protect against) are readily available and cheap. Also get a mask that has a one-piece section in which to look through (nothing with 2 "eyes") - MUCH easier to use/shoot with it on.

I like the MCU-2P since you can still find surplus fairly cheap, but replacement parts can be a hassle. If you buy a new mask, pick up a couple spares of stuff that degrades over time such as seals, straps, etc.

-WRM
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

It depends on what your looking for and how you plan on using it.
If you just want a cheap car-carry might-get-stolen just-in-case tear-gas unit...
then almost any will do, get something that takes NATO screw-on filters
a Israeli civilian mask for a few bucks and some new filters.
Stay away from most of the foreign surplus... bad ju-ju
You can still find the old US M17 masks for sale, which are a good mask but changing filters is a PITA and the filters are getting impossible to find, (however, I do have a case or two of them still sealed) The M17 will set you back $50 and filters 10-15 ea

If your prepping for any and all future events that will need a full feature mask, then the US M40 or MCU2/P is the minimum entry point I would consider. A number of professional Fire Fighter masks would also be an option depending on price. I would also buy commercial filters like Scott or MSA as they will also protect against common chemical threats found in industrial warehouse fires- probably more common during SHTF than just the NBC threat of the military versions.Get a mask that you can install a new filter on while the old one is still in place- determine whether a front or side mount will get in the way of using your rifle. Screw-on Nato filters are cheap and easy to find but be wary of expiration dates and recall batches. You should budget a couple hundred for this mask/filter option and I wouldn't keep it in my car.

Although the M50 is the current version used in the military I would be skeptical on the availability and cost of the new filter form factor and accessories,you may be sourcing by the side of the road. The M40 will be more common pre-shtf.

buy both- 1 for the car and one just in case...
attached is a Excel.xls Zip file I put together several years ago when I was researching filter effectiveness and what brands/models protected against which chemicals. It could probably be updated...
Attachments
CBRN Filter Effectivness.zip
(33.65 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Thanks all for your guidance. I would have like to get an M50 or Avon, but those are pricey, beyond my budget. At Allied Surplus in Mesa, I found Israeli masks for $23, NIB, and extra filters for $14. All in, 2 masks and 2 filters for just under $100. I'll keep those in the car with the other survival gear that I will probably (and hope I) never use.
AZDESERTRAT

Post by AZDESERTRAT »

Don’t mean to jack the thread but I’ve been searching for affordable masks too and have been looking at the polish mp5. I like the large window and nato filter compatible.
Anyone have any thoughts on these?
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Allied Surplus had the Polish ones, but I didn't know anything about them, so I bought the Israeli. If you get info that makes you decide those are what you want, I know where you can find them!
Dangerruss

Post by Dangerruss »

Any masks that can be used with glasses? I know some has weird inserts that you have to have lenses made.
coupeman

Post by coupeman »

FYI. Gas masks are very hard to come by right now. Many places stating 4-8 weeks to ship out for the good quality masks.

I might have to try allied surplus myself.
jledman

Post by jledman »

Russian dog faced masks have the best appearance bonus.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

smithers599 wrote: January 12th, 2020, 3:58 pm Thanks all for your guidance. I would have like to get an M50 or Avon, but those are pricey, beyond my budget. At Allied Surplus in Mesa, I found Israeli masks for $23, NIB, and extra filters for $14. All in, 2 masks and 2 filters for just under $100. I'll keep those in the car with the other survival gear that I will probably (and hope I) never use.
I hate to tell you guys this, but gas masks are like scopes. If your life depends on it don't cheapen out. I have m50's, m40's but the one I like the most comes from the airforce.
20200511_163929.jpg
It takes the m40 filters..
I got to say I probably have $1500 to $2000 Invested in my mop gear.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

O if you are going to wear a gas mask, you better practice shooting in one.
Edge

Post by Edge »

If you do get an M17, make certain it's a later model with a straw apparatus for drinking. Earlier models didn't have them.

Unscrew the filter covers and the filter is inside. Remove it, drop it on a smooth surface it should lay flat. Also make sure the louvers are facing down when screwed on.

Put the mask on and adjust the straps. Put your palms over the filters and inhale to see if you have a good seal. Don't wait until you need it to adjust it.
vtachrn

Post by vtachrn »

Can anyone even find surplus gas masks right now with Covid and Antifa apparently grabbing anything they get their commie hands on at the moment. Sources for a solid budget buy?