What's in your go-bag?

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Re: What's in your go-bag?

Post by Ranger1 »

knockonit wrote: August 7th, 2018, 4:16 pm The older one gets the difference one looks at his "go bag" and where is he gonna go, and why.
I think it should be simple light and allow one to make good time on foot, bike, horse, camel, what ever the transport would be, the hardest part will be avoiding the a..holes of the world.

just saying
Rj
I don't think your wheel chair counts as a mode of transportation. But hell I'd like to see how far you would get just for kicks.

Gatsby
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Gatsby »

Oh good heavens... at least RJ thought it was funny when he read it. I have a hard time taking any of these internet discussions too seriously, sorry. I know who I am, what I've done, and what I would do so I tend to sit back and snicker. Sometimes I post to keep things light. At the age most of us are, we damn well better have figured out our own strategies.

To answer your questions though. I did not mean the type of food you add water to, but I carry 5 gallons in the truck at all times. But it gets rotated through, not just sitting there.

As for the go bag, at 74# it's a little heavy but I am not at all slowed down by it. Sorry, but even being old I'm still in reasonable shape. The purpose of it is more to keep everything together, in one place, for grab and go. The only reasonable scenario I could think of for that is Palo Verde.

Our plan - long agreed on and understood by kids/kid-in-laws/grandkids - is to hunker here until the crazy dies down. We have provisions for one year for all of us.

If at some point it makes sense to leave, yes, we have somewhere to go and it's not North. It's mine free and clear, and from it we can sustain forever. It is protected by other people in our community day by day, and out in farm and ranch country all we have are each other for help. It's a very small number of people with a very strong sense of community, even for those of us who had to leave to go to the city.
Steve_In_29 wrote: August 7th, 2018, 2:57 pm
Gatsby wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 6:29 am I keep one in my truck that I call my "get-home" bag. It has basics: N95 mask, canteen, simple gunbelt, a couple days worth of dried food, flashlight and belt knife. But mostly it contains trauma gear and first aid.

My actual "go" bag is at home and weighs in at 74#, not counting my gun belt (ALICE, and yeah, I have the suspenders for it!). It has everything to survive for an extended period of time. I'm old and probably won't make it more than a quarter mile carrying that thing, though. Setting up a tent while you can still see your house probably isn't the greatest plan.
If by "dried food" you mean things you have to add water to in order to eat, you might want to rethink that. Unless you are also packing a couple gallons of water in the bag.

No offense but where exactly do you think you will be walking to wearing that 74lb pack? Got a place already setup or just going to head for the National Forest?
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Look putting all kidding aside and I'm being serious now. If you are a older person it would be a good thing to have a plan to hook up with someone else when it's time to go to help out with the weight of everything.
3 more things to put in the go bag. SF medical hand book and the Ranger hand book.
O there are a lot of antibiotics for fish and animals you can find off the shelf that you can take to help you in time of need.
Firewhenready7
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by Firewhenready7 »

The one think that I keep in my truck in my get-home-bag is cotton balls soaked in melted petroleum jelly. Starts with only a spark and burns several minutes. Just make sure you use a double boiler when melting the petroleum jelly.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Actually I got your joke about setting up camp.

However my comments were concerning your other statements and both were serious, as I have no idea what you might know or have done. Lots of people pack dehydrated food without planning on the water it takes and I have met way too many people (both in person and online) who really do think they are going to walk out of a major city with a backpack during shtf.

Also many people think they are simply going to walk into the forest with their still in the box Walmart tent and Lifestraw and suddenly become Danial Boone. I asked about the Nat Forest as absent somewhere to go it is the only viable location to head for on foot outside of Phoenix as the desert will simply kill you. So it is good to hear you have a welcoming location to head to if need be.

As for your year's worth of supplies for bugging-in at your city home with all those people...does that include water or a way to get it that doesn't involve turning on the sink faucet?

I too tend to find most of these "shtf" type discussions on gun boards to be funny with lots of that's how it is on the Walking Dead type answers from people. For serious discussions I prefer https://www.survivalistboards.com where people take this stuff VERY serious.
Gatsby wrote: August 8th, 2018, 3:43 am Oh good heavens... at least RJ thought it was funny when he read it. I have a hard time taking any of these internet discussions too seriously, sorry. I know who I am, what I've done, and what I would do so I tend to sit back and snicker. Sometimes I post to keep things light. At the age most of us are, we damn well better have figured out our own strategies.

To answer your questions though. I did not mean the type of food you add water to, but I carry 5 gallons in the truck at all times. But it gets rotated through, not just sitting there.

As for the go bag, at 74# it's a little heavy but I am not at all slowed down by it. Sorry, but even being old I'm still in reasonable shape. The purpose of it is more to keep everything together, in one place, for grab and go. The only reasonable scenario I could think of for that is Palo Verde.

Our plan - long agreed on and understood by kids/kid-in-laws/grandkids - is to hunker here until the crazy dies down. We have provisions for one year for all of us.

If at some point it makes sense to leave, yes, we have somewhere to go and it's not North. It's mine free and clear, and from it we can sustain forever. It is protected by other people in our community day by day, and out in farm and ranch country all we have are each other for help. It's a very small number of people with a very strong sense of community, even for those of us who had to leave to go to the city.
Steve_In_29 wrote: August 7th, 2018, 2:57 pm
Gatsby wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 6:29 am I keep one in my truck that I call my "get-home" bag. It has basics: N95 mask, canteen, simple gunbelt, a couple days worth of dried food, flashlight and belt knife. But mostly it contains trauma gear and first aid.

My actual "go" bag is at home and weighs in at 74#, not counting my gun belt (ALICE, and yeah, I have the suspenders for it!). It has everything to survive for an extended period of time. I'm old and probably won't make it more than a quarter mile carrying that thing, though. Setting up a tent while you can still see your house probably isn't the greatest plan.
If by "dried food" you mean things you have to add water to in order to eat, you might want to rethink that. Unless you are also packing a couple gallons of water in the bag.

No offense but where exactly do you think you will be walking to wearing that 74lb pack? Got a place already setup or just going to head for the National Forest?
Last edited by Steve_In_29 on August 9th, 2018, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

fellas, anyone who has spent time in Arizona or the southwest desert living and flourishing knows the water issue, and how one might go about retrieving water from certain locations. Its been discussed on multiple sites, and sit downs with like minded people. One cannot be concerned about late arrivals to the moment of need. Just the way it is, as with all things in life one must be proactive and be concerned about the future a little more than a "run down to the circle jerk store"

The desert can provide if one understands where they are and what their short term goals are. Surprising whats in the middle of bfe.

again depends on the numbers, and the relationship of the numbers.

if one has not considered the ramifications of shtf, in any given area of Arizona, well shame on them.
Rj
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

If that was aimed at me, I am well aware of what's involved with living in the desert, having done so for over 30 years here in 29 Palms. A much more desolate place then the area around Phoenix.

My question about water was concerning your year's worth of supplies for multiple people while staying in your place in the city and not about you wandering around the desert. After all a 2500gal cistern ($999 at Home Depot) could supply 7 people for a year if used carefully. While having a few 55gal drums, not so much.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

I hope everyone is keeping notes on who has what..
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

High value targets? Keeping notes on who has what?

Do you plan on taking what you want from others?
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

When the SHTF and I'm hungry. I just think it's funny how everyone shows pictures of there guns and tells people what they stockpile. You don't know who is lurking on these forms. Come on...
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

You need to be prepared to shoot your neighbor if need be. When and if it all goes bad. That's it. Game on. Who was your friend might be your enemy. The need to stay alive supersedes friend ship. Just saying
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

People also don't post their address and mog shot either.

How is anybody gonna know who got are, and what you have?
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Firewhenready7 wrote: August 8th, 2018, 9:16 am The one think that I keep in my truck in my get-home-bag is cotton balls soaked in melted petroleum jelly. Starts with only a spark and burns several minutes. Just make sure you use a double boiler when melting the petroleum jelly.
I am also a big fan of cotton balls and Vaseline as a fire-starter. I have old prescription bottles stuffed full of Vaseline cotton balls in every backpack/go bag. It's miraculous. Lights easily, burns for a long long time.

However, there is no need to melt the Vaseline. Grab a glob out of the jar, and moosh it into the cotton ball, and you're ready to go.

Since we are talking about fire-starters, one tip I stole from somebody else: go buy some of those trick birthday candles that won't blow out. (Party Store, Walmart.) Carry a couple with your fire-starting stuff. Instead of trying to light a fire with a match, light the candle with the match, and light the fire with the candle. Unlike a match, it does not burn itself up in a few seconds, and the wind will not blow it out. To put it out, dunk it in water, or grind it out in dirt. Then re-use later.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

XJThrottle wrote: August 10th, 2018, 11:06 am People also don't post their address and mog shot either.

How is anybody gonna know who got are, and what you have?
These guys that have been chasing me from forum to forum give out so much details about them selves its hilarious. If you wanted to start folders on them it's not hard.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Um, no one is chasing you. Infact all I hear is, "not this phuktard again" followed a few weeks later by "whew he's finally gone".

You go forum to forum posting the same 40 or so threads and even though folks know what's coming they attempt to interact with you respectfully. Invariably you get butthurt over some answer to a question or comment you posted or made then create a dozen troll accounts and converse with your self like these people are real in some online circle jerk.

You continue to devolve into some form of an unstable online stalker and start going on the attack with threats and personal attacks and screaming about your bad ass self thus getting your troll accounts banned one by one till finally your gone. Till you show up again in some slightly less trollish form acting somewhat normal but singing the praises of the banned Ranger like no one knows it's really you/Ranger.

Then like montezuma revenge you start the whole thing up on the next gun related website.

So how are people following you when you are taking your travelling s*** show from forum to forum. Please explain the mental gymnastics required for that one.