Fuel Efficient Alcohol Stove You Can Build

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
Steve_In_29
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Fuel Efficient Alcohol Stove You Can Build

Post by Steve_In_29 »

If you are into this kind of stove it looks like a pretty good design.

Joe_Blacke

Re: Fuel Efficient Alcohol Stove You Can Build

Post by Joe_Blacke »

I prefer the fancy feast alcohol stove.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

I have no dog in the fight as I don't use an alcohol stove but doing a bit of looking around it seems the Fancy Feast might be easier to light but that the HAMZ one burns longer and hotter.
Joe_Blacke

Post by Joe_Blacke »

Way too many factors with alcohol stoves. Ambient temp, altitude, and other factors affect burn time and flame intensity. In reality as long as the stove heats up what you want with an ounce of fuel, a minute or two either way isn’t really important.

The fancy feast stove has a built in pot stand, the flame generally spreads evenly across the bottom of whatever container I’m using. One ounce of fuel is usually more than enough to boil 2 cups of water in 7 minutes. It’s also seriously light, robust, and less prone to being crushed than cut up aluminum cans.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I've built several different soda can stoves over the years...simple, complex, etc. This is a pretty good design...I'll have to build one to add to my collection. Currently, I use a Trangia alcohol stove from Sweden...I like the screw top lid that allows you to "turn off" the stove and still keep fuel in it with no worry about spilling, and the simmer plate cover, but it is heavier than a soda can stove by several ounces, but still much lighter than carrying even the lightest butane fuel can stove. If you are a serious backpacker worried about weight, these stoves cannot be beat.