Side arm or more primary ammo?

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
Racewin
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Side arm or more primary ammo?

Post by Racewin »

If you were putting a "bugout on foot" kit together (meaning weight is a concern) that included an AR or AK, would you rather carry comparably less rifle mags and a sidearm, or just the rifle but with extra mags?

Azbuilder

Re: Side arm or more primary ammo?

Post by Azbuilder »

:( Carry both if you can . You said this is a BOB not a get home bag. I am assuming you are alone?
“Two is one and one is none.” Having different solutions to solve a problem is always good.
If your rifle jams badly or breaks (yeah I know it never happens-sure!) then you have a backup. For me I have a 60 round in the AR with a couple on a belt, plus a couple boxes in the pack, along with 18 rounds in the side arm and 2 extra magazines. My goal is to be as Gray Man possible. So unless the situation truly requires it, the AR is folded under cover. Be prepared to adapt to the Bug Out situation you may encounter.....be prepared to add or subtract your load out based on what is going on. You may end up not even leaving. So many variables. What are you planning for that would trigger your long walk in AZ hell?
Viper 1-26 INF

Post by Viper 1-26 INF »

Load weight is all relative/subjective to one's ability, condition and experience. I personally would see no problem in carrying a 100 lbs. rucksack on top of wearing body armor, a chest rig w/ 12 rifle mags and 2 pistol mags, a holstered sidearm, and a primary weapon up to the weight of an M249 SAW w/ ACOG and 100-rd nutsack, but I have done this many times in training, on long marches and in the Mountains of Afghanistan, so in a complete SHTF situation here that wouldn't be a big deal for me, for someone else that might not be doable. What you ultimately need to do is come up with an overall strategy first. Are you bugging out to a location in the middle of nowhere where you can store supplies ahead of time? How long would you plan to bug out for? How long would it take you to get to your bug out location if on foot, what type of terrain is along your route, and what would be the likelihood of running into resistance during your movement? What are your physical limitations? Are there others with you? Would you engage or evade possible hostiles? You really need to answer those questions, and probably some others, before you choose a loadout for the expected mission.
Azbuilder

Post by Azbuilder »

Viper 1-26 INF wrote: June 14th, 2018, 12:14 pm Load weight is all relative/subjective to one's ability, condition and experience. I personally would see no problem in carrying a 100 lbs. rucksack on top of wearing body armor, a chest rig w/ 12 rifle mags and 2 pistol mags, a holstered sidearm, and a primary weapon up to the weight of an M249 SAW w/ ACOG and 100-rd nutsack, but I have done this many times in training, on long marches and in the Mountains of Afghanistan, so in a complete SHTF situation here that wouldn't be a big deal for me, for someone else that might not be doable. What you ultimately need to do is come up with an overall strategy first. Are you bugging out to a location in the middle of nowhere where you can store supplies ahead of time? How long would you plan to bug out for? How long would it take you to get to your bug out location if on foot, what type of terrain is along your route, and what would be the likelihood of running into resistance during your movement? What are your physical limitations? Are there others with you? Would you engage or evade possible hostiles? You really need to answer those questions, and probably some others, before you choose a loadout for the expected mission.
Excellent feedback.................! So many questions to think through first. If things go all Mogadishu, then I am no longer trying to be gray and that changes my load out greatly.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

I could see how the situation could change what one may carry. Going to location that is an easy day hike away with a bunch of stashed stuff is different than navigating through a potentially hostile urban center just to make it into the wilderness for the "foreseeable future." It seems, at least for the majority of us that live inside the greater Phoenix area, "bugging in" is actually the best option in the majority of cases...esp in the summer.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

A second weapon, always. A couple knives and a nice T-hawk wouldn't hurt either.

Just don't go breakdancing with 'em.
AZGEEZER

Post by AZGEEZER »

Holy Cow!!!

There's some good advice from folks with knowledge and experience.

I would personally carry both, and preferably both that use the same ammo. I've said many times on the old board, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Now.....that idea about carrying this and that may work wonders for the young and fit, but I'm neither.

I'm so flipping remote it isn't funny, I'm staying put and I'm not about to move. Good luck with that.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

It's primarily a question of what the best use of the *average* person's finite weight capacity is. After the weight of a BOB, I don't think the average person could carry much more then either an AR/AK + 8 mags, or 5 rifle mags and the secondary weapon/mags. 150 rounds of primary ammo doesn't seem like much...but I've never been in a firefight.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Great advice above!

I would carry both in different calibers. Never know what you don't know, and if I needed to scrounge some ammo, having two different calibers increases the possibility of finding some.

As for pack weight, it's a personal choice. Lite is fast, heavy is slow.
Azbuilder

Post by Azbuilder »

shooter444 wrote: June 18th, 2018, 7:42 am Great advice above!

I would carry both in different calibers. Never know what you don't know, and if I needed to scrounge some ammo, having two different calibers increases the possibility of finding some.

As for pack weight, it's a personal choice. Lite is fast, heavy is slow.
And death comes fastest if you can't move fast some times and many times maneuver from a firefight. Get away to live another day. We're talking BO SHTF. Combat, never enough ammo and fire power.
steamer303
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by steamer303 »

Personally I would take some type of light carbine and a pistol of the same caliber. You need both for sure. Still carry as much ammo as you choose to, but you can use it in either one.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Azbuilder wrote: June 18th, 2018, 9:21 pm And death comes fastest if you can't move fast some times and many times maneuver from a firefight. Get away to live another day. We're talking BO SHTF. Combat, never enough ammo and fire power.
AGREED!

With the popularity of 9 mm and 223/5.56, they would probably be good choices if no stashes were set up. If you have the foresight to lay up some stashes, caliber is pretty much a moot point. But, again, you don't know, what you don't know. :idea: Nine MM is not my personal choice sidearm caliber, but I wouldn't hesitate with it and 223/5.56 as a rifle caliber, especially the weight to pack size, that 223/5.56 gives. The weight to number of rounds for standard pistol caliber ammo is pretty a moot point as well, unless you go to a 22 mag/LR or a heavy bullet 45 Colt single action sidearm.

I reload for the 223/5.56 caliber, which allows a little better choice of projectile selection and performance, than regular factory ammo. Which gives me a little more confidence in that caliber.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Pistol should be part of it, as you never know when you might need to ditch the rifle to avoid unwanted attention.
Miker12

Post by Miker12 »

Screw that idea! Carry a primary that uses the ammo from the side arm (.44mag, .357 mag, etc) and if the load is light add a .22lr pistol OR a .410 /.22lr combo.

Personally I would carry a .308 carbine singleshot with an underloaded .22lr, pistol in .22lr
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Miker12 wrote: June 25th, 2018, 7:54 pm Screw that idea! Carry a primary that uses the ammo from the side arm (.44mag, .357 mag, etc) and if the load is light add a .22lr pistol OR a .410 /.22lr combo.

Personally I would carry a .308 carbine singleshot with an underloaded .22lr, pistol in .22lr
You just contradicted your first sentence with your second.

Also that "single shot" rifle and .22 pistol aren't going to be much help if you have multiple bad guys to deal with.