Side arm or more primary ammo?

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
Viper 1-26 INF
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Side arm or more primary ammo?

Post by Viper 1-26 INF »

Steve_In_29 wrote: June 25th, 2018, 10:17 pm
Miker12 wrote: June 25th, 2018, 7:54 pm Screw that idea! Carry a primary that uses the ammo from the side arm (.44mag, .357 mag, etc) and if the load is light add a .22lr pistol OR a .410 /.22lr combo.

Personally I would carry a .308 carbine singleshot with an underloaded .22lr, pistol in .22lr
You just contradicted your first sentence with your second.

Also that "single shot" rifle and .22 pistol aren't going to be much help if you have multiple bad guys to deal with.
Yeah, I'd say a semi auto rifle in 5.56 or 7.62 with a pistol in 9mm, .45 ACP, or .40 S&W would be ideal if you want to be able to easily find ammo and components. My thoughts on pistol are get something in .40 and buy a 9mm conversion barrel/mags so that you maximize your potential for finding more ammo. I have a .40, .357, and 9mm barrel for my handgun.

Miker12

Post by Miker12 »

moving the goalpost now? Your original statement was about survival not evading...

I didn't contradict myself...it is a weight factor. If I carried a carbine in .44 mag with the same sidearm then all small game will just be wasted. Thus the .22 lr and the .308 over-under. Even better for versatility try the .410 or 12g over (various combos in ammo) and a smaller caliber in the under. So many combos these days, you just have to figure what works for you. Armed survival is a different topic.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Of course carry both. Also it might not be a bad idea to carry calibers that you are most likely to find laying alongside the road - if AK is the most common in you AO then take one of those if 9mm NATO is plentiful then that is the caliber you should have. else just take what you think best.
Azbuilder

Post by Azbuilder »

Harrier wrote: July 13th, 2018, 9:44 am Of course carry both. Also it might not be a bad idea to carry calibers that you are most likely to find laying alongside the road - if AK is the most common in you AO then take one of those if 9mm NATO is plentiful then that is the caliber you should have. else just take what you think best.
So true!
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

If you are on foot for a long time with no transport in site throw your plates on the ground. F$ck body armour. Learn to travel a long way with little water. Go to the mountains and do elevators. Go up to 6000 ft drop down to 3000 ,go up to 5000 drop to 2000 go up to 6000. Keep doing that and get use to it.
Back to the OP's question If you can't find a resupply, 6 mags loaded with primary 6 mags loaded with secondary. Have loose rounds in a butt pack with a sling on it. Being in the US and the AR is the most sold rifle that would be what I would carry in 556. Side arm would be 9mm. It's the most popular. If I came into contact with anyone I guess I would have a resupply or a new weapon.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Ranger1 wrote: August 6th, 2018, 6:09 pm If you are on foot for a long time with no transport in site throw your plates on the ground. F$ck body armour. Learn to travel a long way with little water. Go to the mountains and do elevators. Go up to 6000 ft drop down to 3000 ,go up to 5000 drop to 2000 go up to 6000. Keep doing that and get use to it.
Back to the OP's question If you can't find a resupply, 6 mags loaded with primary 6 mags loaded with secondary. Have loose rounds in a butt pack with a sling on it. Being in the US and the AR is the most sold rifle that would be what I would carry in 556. Side arm would be 9mm. It's the most popular. If I came into contact with anyone I guess I would have a resupply or a new weapon.
The military used to push water discipline hard when I first joined the Marines. They changed that after studies showed it only served to increase the incidence of heat casualties. After that we were required to drink and even doing it in formation to make sure everyone emptied their canteen/bottle.

Unless a person has grown up their whole life living on little water they aren't going to "learn" to do it by spending some camping trips in the woods.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

You are wrong. I learned it. So you R out in the middle of no where. You have 2 canteens. You had 4 days to drink water and store it like a camel. Now you are on task. There is no water anywhere. You need to get to your destination. So I guess you are going to die right. The guys I use to train with would turn the climate controlled rooms that we did CQB in up to 140 degrees. The other people we trained with were out of water and dropping like flies. I only drank water when the team leader said to. Then we would drop our water and train without.
Slow your heart beat down and control your breathing. There are techniques to this. We trained like that because we never new when we would get water. What you carried might be all you get.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

My, my , my the information one can gleen from the interwebs
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

knockonit wrote: August 7th, 2018, 5:09 pm My, my , my the information one can gleen from the interwebs
Hey thanks for your opinion.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Ranger1 wrote: August 7th, 2018, 4:01 pm You are wrong. I learned it. So you R out in the middle of no where. You have 2 canteens. You had 4 days to drink water and store it like a camel. Now you are on task. There is no water anywhere. You need to get to your destination. So I guess you are going to die right. The guys I use to train with would turn the climate controlled rooms that we did CQB in up to 140 degrees. The other people we trained with were out of water and dropping like flies. I only drank water when the team leader said to. Then we would drop our water and train without.
Slow your heart beat down and control your breathing. There are techniques to this. We trained like that because we never new when we would get water. What you carried might be all you get.
Except the human body doesn't store water like a camel.
Berd

Post by Berd »

knockonit wrote: August 7th, 2018, 5:09 pm My, my , my the information one can gleen from the interwebs
Hahaha, thank you sir, needed a good laugh.
Berd

Post by Berd »

What I've learned from this thread so far:

Viper 1 26 inf is an animal, I don't want to mess with that guy. 100lb pack and plates would kill me.

That Ranger1 guy can go full Rhodesia and operate with no water or food.

Steve in 29 seems level headed and a good source of info.

Knockonit is still funny.

Now to add to the discussion.

Sidearm is a must for me. If it's full madmax then rifle will be primary, but if it's just get home from work, or from wherever I was so I can but out, sidearm is probably all I'll have.

I'll keep it if/when I make it home and I acquire the rest of my gear and need to GTFO.

To address other statements:

If I'm carrying a long gun, I want a rifle caliber long gun, no pcc, no silly survival rifle stuff. If s*** is bad enough that I feel carrying a rifle is warranted, then a rifle caliber long arm is my choice.
zonie77

Post by zonie77 »

I go with sidearm and less primary ammo.