Tire chains

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
Potatoes16
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Tire chains

Post by Potatoes16 »

Hey all,

So, I am moving to Nebraska in 2 weeks (driving) for a new job and have a question about tire chains. I don't know if I will need them but better to have and not need yah know. My question is what kind should I look for?

My tire size is 265/70r16 and I have a 2015 Tacoma 4wd TRD.

Any guidance is appreciated, on the chains or anything related to the move or cold ass weather.

One question for example about the chains, do I need 1 or 2 sets? Like all 4 tires or would just 2 chains work?

WRMorrison

Re: Tire chains

Post by WRMorrison »

For a 4wd truck it's probably not an issue, but I looked into the same thing for the wife's '16 4x4 Cherokee and they won't fit in the wheelwells (according to the manufacturer). So, that might be something to double-check just in case. As for what kind, I couldn't say. I grew up in the midwest where it snows in the winter, and I've never needed a set of chains. 4 wheel drive (or front wheel drive) will go a LONG way...IF you know how to drive. Personally, I'd skip the chains unless >80% of your driving will be rural.

Also carry:
jumper cables - The longer set you can find, the better. When the weather's nasty or depending how your vehicle is situated, the "jumper" might not be able to get too close to the "jumpee."
ice scrapers - Get a long-handled one with a brush on the other end to keep behind the seat a short/sturdy one for the glovebox. It's always nice to have options, and you can sometimes convince your passenger to get the side windows while you take care of the windshield.
Remote start - worth every penny if you can; I've thought a few times about moving back, and this was first on my to-do list if it happened.
Gloves in the glovebox - seems like a no-brainer, but you'd be surprised how many people don't. I generally keep 2 pair; one of the cheap "jersey" style brown gloves and a heavier, winter-type glove.
Warm blankets (at least 2) behind the seat (the green wool type work well) and a space blanket or two wouldn't hurt. If you're not normally a hat person, keep a stocking cap in there too; they're a Godsend when you need one.
Road flares - Full size - good for the obvious, but also good for starting damn near anything on fire if need be.

Throw some weight in the back of the truck during the winter: firewood is a good choice (can always burn/replace if need be). Or, befriend someone at the local Farm Supply store and have 'em get you an old tractor tire tube (that still holds air) and have them put an ample amount of calcium chloride in it. Tractors use it for weight in the tubes, and it won't freeze (just don't get it on your hands, or you'll find out real quick if you have any cuts or open sores...).

A QUALITY tow rope (not the ones with the pot metal hooks on the end). I like overkill, so I keep a large one behind the seat. Make sure you have solid recovery points front & rear on the truck; I much prefer d-rings (shackles) over hooks. And, just in case you didn't know (some folks don't), NEVER put a rope/chain around a hitch ball (youtube it if this is the first time you've heard this).

I'm sure there's a bunch more stuff that could come in handy, but I've never personally needed more than this (except for maybe a better jack than what came with the truck and a full-size spare tire).

-WRM
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Weight in the bed is a good suggestion but make sure you tie it down.

As to chains, if you only have one set you should put them on rear wheels if in 2WD but on front if in 4WD.
Flash

Post by Flash »

I grew up in Alaska and studded tires are a much better alternative than chains in all but the most extreme circumstances.
WyoGunner
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by WyoGunner »

Flash wrote: January 15th, 2019, 5:00 am I grew up in Alaska and studded tires are a much better alternative than chains in all but the most extreme circumstances.
That's what we used mostly in Wyoming back in the day but many states have outlawed them because of the damage they 'think' they do to the roads. Chains were only for those really bad, ah s--t moments.

To OP: for vehicles that don't have enough wheel well clearance they make some "low profile" "chains". I don't think they work real great but better than nothing I suppose. They're made out of multi-strand cable rather than chain.
Potatoes16

Post by Potatoes16 »

Thanks for the advice and keep it comin!!

WRM, we are on the same page with a lot of what you said so I in the works on a lot of that!!

Steve, that is what I thought too but couldn't find that info anywhere just to confirm.

Flash, I agree studded tires are more effective too which would be a great idea for the city once I am there, but for the drive over, I am too unsure of all weather and clear roads I will hit along with the bad road conditions. So I probably won't consider the studded until I have actually arrived and it is day after day poor conditions.
Dog Soldier

Post by Dog Soldier »

I live in Wyo at the 7,000' level. Snow is a part of life. The new off road tires on my Jeeps and truck are very aggressive. Chains rust in a 5 gallon bucket these days.
Potatoes16

Post by Potatoes16 »

Whatup y'all,

Made it here in Nebraska.

Didn't need any chains, for now

Googled directions and cross referenced weather and changed to some different routes on the fly to avoid bad weather.

In the single digits here right now with wind chill is probably below zero....

Thanks for the help and recommendations guys. Gonna leave the sandbags in the back til it warms up.
Matwell

Post by Matwell »

Stay warm up there!

WRM - I had no idea about the danger of pulling from a ball hitch, just you tubed it. Thanks!
Delfuego

Post by Delfuego »

Your must be an AZ native :D
What you need is patience and practice. Go slow and learn. Driving in snow is actually fun. Newer all season tires are all that required. Don't get chains. Don't worry about studded snows either. Get some Kinco gloves, beanie, a good snowbrush and maybe some polarized shades.

Good luck in NE! Watchout for Cornhusker fans.
Potatoes16

Post by Potatoes16 »

Thanks for the notes everyone.

Delfuego- I am actually not an AZ native, I don't mind the snow as much as the ice, like black ice. And it was snowing yesterday and some people were still doing 50 mph, but I am more patient than that. I would rather leave early and take my time getting to places. I don't know what kinco gloves are but I am gonna look them up!

Start the new job next Monday so these few days have just been spent spending money for the new apartment. Luckily it has warmed up today.... to the 20s
Flash

Post by Flash »

Potatoes16 wrote: January 31st, 2019, 4:25 pm Thanks for the notes everyone.

Delfuego- I am actually not an AZ native, I don't mind the snow as much as the ice, like black ice. And it was snowing yesterday and some people were still doing 50 mph, but I am more patient than that. I would rather leave early and take my time getting to places. I don't know what kinco gloves are but I am gonna look them up!

Start the new job next Monday so these few days have just been spent spending money for the new apartment. Luckily it has warmed up today.... to the 20s
All season tires won't do you a bit of good on black ice and that's why I always ran studs when I lived in Alaska. If there's no black ice, a bunch of different tires will work well along with weight on the back end of the vehicle, preferably sand.

Towed a bunch of people without studs out of ditches, though. Come around a corner, you're suddenly on black ice and doing your best imitation of being on an ice skating rink.
hackopt

Post by hackopt »

lot of good info. weight in the bed. that truck is light like a sled. Need bed weight. sandbags or a couple bumper blocks. Too bad the tacoma has horrible rear leafs from the factory and can barely NOT squat with 200lbs in the back. Such a same for toyota on the rear leafs and the recall for the "upgraded" leafs are hardly better.
Delfuego

Post by Delfuego »

My Tacoma 4wd TRD does great in the snow! Just put in 4wd and be patient :) Does get squirrely in RDW only. It's really braking that gets you in trouble anyway.