Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
weever82
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by weever82 »

Last edited by weever82 on October 22nd, 2019, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

shooter444

Re: What is your SHTF side arm?

Post by shooter444 »

I have a great assortment of sidearms,... bottom line,... for your posted topic, I won't carry anything made with a PLASTIC frame!

That's my thought!
Last edited by shooter444 on October 24th, 2018, 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Ruger P89
AZDESERTRAT

Post by AZDESERTRAT »

Hk usp 9c. Not the usual choice but 5k + rounds down range with never a failure even considering a piss poor cleaning regiment by me makes it my 100% go to trustworthy sidearm. P226 or 228 are my second and third choices
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

XJThrottle wrote: October 24th, 2018, 9:38 amRuger P89

That will work!!! :handgestures-thumbup:
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Having 8 mags for it is also a bonus.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

I have Glocks, S&Ws, Rugers, and a few others, and I would not feel unarmed with any of them, but I have so much trigger time on the 1911 that I would have to grab a 1911 .45 despite the limited capacity and the bulky ammunition. It's the one I feel most confident with.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

hehe, as if someone is planning on it, what you have on you, with you, or in range.

unless you are a preppie, and plan for it, well, best of luck
Rj
Miker12

Post by Miker12 »

my sidearm is usually matching my rifle in the truck.

357 in pistol and lever action OR up grade to .45acp Glock with AR15 style rifle that takes glock mags OR my 1911 45 acp that goes with my Marlin Camp Carbine OR my .45 LC pistol that goes with my lever action .45 LC carbine.

Whatever is the trade out for the week and what I am doing.
samnev

Post by samnev »

West German SIG P220.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

These threads are always kind of fun but .. I guess it depends on a couple of things

Did I have time to plan which firearm to take or was it literally .. lights went out 5 minutes ago you can grab one gun.

How long do I expect the emergency to last.

Where will I go? Am I running off into the desert or roughing it as a scavenger in the city

Probably a dozen other questions but with just those leap to mind

If I would be expected to wander for a period of time .. I guess my 19 because of the availability of ammo. I bet it would be easier to find or barter for 9mm than some more exotic rounds.

If it was city, road warrior living than the 9mm is it because it should dispatch most 2 legged varmints.

But I am not as convinced as some of the new technology making the 9mm equivalent to larger more powerful cartridges so ...

If I had some shortish notice .. I dont know .. meteor or some such thing and I could gather ammo
It would be my G20.

Can be loaded with light fast rounds that approach defeat or do defeat body armor. Can be loaded heavy and fast enough to take down large game and just about everything in between. A really versatile round and you can sport 15 rds in a g20 mag. While I adore my revolvers its hard to beat a gun as simple, as light and as potentially powerful.

Finding or trading for more of it would be problematic though.

In reality .. I would bunk in place. I have lived long enough that roughing through the wasteland is a waste of time and energy. I did all the cool things I was going to do so if I were out hiking or generally already in the desert I would have my g20 and if I were anywhere else I would probably have my g19.
azmp5

Post by azmp5 »

Im always torn when it comes to this question. Of all my pistols, 95% HK's, its really between my full size USP9 and my USPc9 and id prob lean towards the full size just because its alittle more versatile.

The full size is my favorite gun and ive had the longest (10 years+). Match/hybrid trigger, upgraded springs, jet funnel, threaded barrel. always works and never gives me issues.

The uspc, again, had for 10+ years, runs like a champ but all stock. It was my carry gun for a long time (now p30sk) and eats everything.

That being said, ive been telling myself i REALLY need to get a glock 9mm. mostly because IF a SHTF happened, glock mags are MUCH more abundant than 18rd jet funnel HK mags. I just cant bring myself to buy a glock :(
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

azmp5 wrote: October 27th, 2018, 10:32 am Im always torn when it comes to this question. Of all my pistols, 95% HK's, its really between my full size USP9 and my USPc9 and id prob lean towards the full size just because its alittle more versatile.

The full size is my favorite gun and ive had the longest (10 years+). Match/hybrid trigger, upgraded springs, jet funnel, threaded barrel. always works and never gives me issues.

The uspc, again, had for 10+ years, runs like a champ but all stock. It was my carry gun for a long time (now p30sk) and eats everything.

That being said, ive been telling myself i REALLY need to get a glock 9mm. mostly because IF a SHTF happened, glock mags are MUCH more abundant than 18rd jet funnel HK mags. I just cant bring myself to buy a glock :(
Don't worry, if the SHTF and you have an HK, you can have a Glock in short order. :evil:
azmp5

Post by azmp5 »

Hahahaha. Funny because that's usually my rebuttal to myself. Lol
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Hmm,... I forgot to play nice, in this one. :text-imsorry:

If I had a choice, it would be my SS Ruger Redhawk, 44 mag, 7.5" barrel.

Yah I know, big ole heavy hog leg!! :idea: But, I load it down to subsonic speeds with light lead for small game,.... load it maxed out for relatively up close and personal dangerous critters, and for dear size meals out to 100 yds..

Oh, did I mention, two legged critters hiding behind most barriers can have an unexpected surprise dumped in their reality,... if, my Marlin 444 temporarily runs out of ammo! :dance:
Last edited by shooter444 on October 30th, 2018, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.