The thin layer of civilization, eh?

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
Miker12
ArizonaShooting.org Member

The thin layer of civilization, eh?

Post by Miker12 »

Chaos erupts in North Carolina Walmart as residents stock up on supplies in preparation for 'monster' Hurricane Florence
    North Carolina residents rushed to stack up on food, water, toilet paper and other necessities ahead of Hurricane Florence
      Although the storm was downgraded to a Category 2 Wednesday night, is it expected to bring devastation to the Carolinas and parts of Georgia Friday
        A rowdy crowd was shown in a Facebook video shared by an employee at the supermarket off Glenn School Road in Durham
          Police officers were made their rounds around the Walmart to ensure the safety of shoppers
            More than 1.7 million people were warned to evacuate and get out of the way of the 'life-threatening' storm's path

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... plies.html

AZGEEZER

Re: The thin layer of civilization, eh?

Post by AZGEEZER »

Makes me glad I live away from people, never really understood the mind-set they pocess when they are desparate.

As a rule we get groceries every other month, not uncommon for us. And folks that know us remark how we wouldn't know if anything happened for months.

We just live a rather self sufficient lifestyle here, all day every day.
            Zanehenson
            New to ArizonaShooting.org
            New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Zanehenson »

I agree 100%. We do a little more grocery shopping than you, at least till the garden is operational and we get our sheep up to weight. I don’t understand a persons mindset, wanting to be neck and neck with each other.
            Flash

Post by Flash »

We keep enough food for a minimum of six months, perhaps a little longer. It's a way of life for us.
            Miker12

Post by Miker12 »

I have been doing this with my family for over 20 years now. Rotating food stuff as we use it. Anything we thought we would use but don't goes off to the food bank. However the weak link is that we are planning for only two people for one year. If family came in, it decreases by 1/2 year per extra person
            shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I am on my fourth chest freezer full of beef, lamb, goat, pig, and chicken.

I am strongly considering a fifth.

My major concern is fuel supply for my generator,... with life seemingly stable over the past couple decades, I have procrastinated greatly in that concern. My main reason for procrastination is contemplating just how much fuel would be needed for, OH, LET's SAY, a year or two,... since I have at least three years of meat to keep frozen and a deep well to pump from. I guess I could always use meat for barter, if need be. :whistle: Or, slaughter on a daily/weekly basis from the live stock we always have on hand. Hell, I cold live on just the eggs produced by the couple dozen free range hens I have.

I don't consider food accumulation as a terribly hard task, been doing it for about a half century, no matter where I have lived in the states and its possessions, to get all that much excited about it. What I have been working on for the past two decades, is, enough reloading supplies (see my reloading room pics in the "PIC THREAD: LET'S SEE THOSE RELOADING SETUPS AND AMMO DUMPS!" forum) for a long stand off of defensive/offensive maneuvers, if needed.

Ahhh,... :twocents-mytwocents: I just love adding my 2 cents to these hypothetical survival scenario posts!!! What fun!!! :dance:
            Last edited by shooter444 on October 9th, 2018, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
            XJThrottle
            ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

I'd bet your livestock would get poached off faster than you could consume it.
            shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

pass
            Last edited by shooter444 on October 9th, 2018, 6:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
            XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Cool fort.

But, could you eat it all before someone got to any of it?

I imagine your neighbors are set up similar to you. They probably have family and friends that know that. They might head to that "safe space in the country". Your neighbors could respect your property, but will their guests as time goes on and supplies dwindle? They would already be inside the "gate".

Or, are you all old castaway hermits that have sworn off any contact to society (except internet of course, gotta have facebook)..

And as for what I'm capable of, hitting what I aim at with MY model 60 is one. :teasing-poke:
            smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

I have a whole shelf of ramen, and a whole case of bottled water.
            Plus hundreds of rounds of .22 ammunition.
            Harrier

Post by Harrier »

guess you have to crawl up real close with the model 60... watch out for rattlers....
            shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

XJThrottle,... You have a good attitude. Yes, we all are old hermits that have no need for any of societies insanity, but, have great appreciation for neighbors that are there when needed!

With that clear and straightforward,... i'll just leave you with this,...

Any man, that takes no precautions to protect and preserve that which he has created,... is not much of a man, imo. :violence-guntoting:
            Last edited by shooter444 on October 9th, 2018, 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
            shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Harrier wrote: October 8th, 2018, 4:13 pm guess you have to crawl up real close with the model 60... watch out for rattlers....

Yup,... I got the green kind of rattlers around my place,... they have come after me dragging their innards, after a badly placed bullet, while striking feverishly, but failing to consider that dragging their guts keeps them from their full length striking reach!

They are the meanest, born pissed off rattler, I have ever come across in my life,...they don't quit coming after you,... they never give up!

Anyone who would crawl among Mojaves,... got some muy grande cojones!
            Harrier

Post by Harrier »

We must be in the same area as I have Mohaves too, along with diamondbacks - I know what you mean, I had one 42" take 2 44 snake loads, three 38 snake loads and a bullet before he finally succumbed to a shovel - man was he determined - and they were all good hits, especially the shovel.
            shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

When I first moved down here from CaveCreek a few decades ago, I used a NAA BlackWidow 22 mag derringer with snake shot, while doing fence. I wore that damn derringer out on rattlers. It was pathetic and dangerous using 22 mag shot on Mohaves.

I went through a lot of different weapons and then found the Taurus Poly Judge. I custom loaded some Marlin444 cases with Trail Boss and #6 shot. An excellent snake combo!!!

Now, I load up some Marlin444 cases to fill the cylinder chamber on my Colt 1873 SAA clone. I cut the cases to fill the chamber, fill the case half full with Trail Boss, then a thin card wad, filled to about 1/4th inch from the mouth of the case with #6 shot, and then a card wad, topped off with Gorilla Expanding Glue to hold everything in place.

Well, let me tell you!!! This is now my new SNAKE GUN!!! With the 7.5 inch barrel, pattern performance at 10 to 15 feet out performs anything the Taurus Poly Judge snubnose can do. When I get the 12 inch barrel on it, I should be good for 20 feet!!!

Yup,... never disliked snakes, caught more garter snakes in my youth, stuffed into a blue Maxwell House Coffee can with those new gizmo :lol: plastic snap on top, that I would cut an X shaped entry hole for quick caging, than I can remember,... but if I see a Mohave anywhere within two miles of my place,... I take care of it!!!
            Last edited by shooter444 on October 9th, 2018, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.