You have 7 days to get ready

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
Miker12
ArizonaShooting.org Member

You have 7 days to get ready

Post by Miker12 »

Consider this self-evaluation of your skills and supplies.

Sept 11th is just next week and one of the largest multi-state terrorism events since the last 9/11 is due to occur.

How are your supplies? Backup water? Extra items to cover the short and long-term loss of supplies?

I'll start: Live 50% off the grid in a rural area of AZ with our own well on generator, at least 30 days of good food available (at least 1 yr of MREs and canned crap) with medical and ammo to last. Got neighbors that do the same.

Oh and some hungry dogs for those who say, "I'll just come to your place and steal your crap". Dogs have to eat too!

AZGEEZER

Re: You have 7 days to get ready

Post by AZGEEZER »

I'm not going to be of any help, I've been here for over a decade. That so-called SHTF scenario we live on a daily basis.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

If a person isn't ready NOW, then 7 days isn't going to matter.
Miker12

Post by Miker12 »

Yep, I have been to Concho...hung out with a few members there. I thought I was anxious....nothing compared to their preps though.... :clap:
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

If you want to see serious preps...wander over to survivalistboards.com
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

I'll get to it over the weekend...
AZGEEZER

Post by AZGEEZER »

Miker12 wrote: September 4th, 2018, 8:48 pm Yep, I have been to Concho...hung out with a few members there. I thought I was anxious....nothing compared to their preps though.... :clap:
There are?

Most folks here live the prepper life everyday, and twice on Sunday. Most folks are tight lipped when asked questions, regardless of the question. Folks have animals, some a lot more than others. The only hic-up I see is if the feed stores can't get restocked.
AZGEEZER

Post by AZGEEZER »

Steve_In_29 wrote: September 4th, 2018, 9:09 pm If you want to see serious preps...wander over to survivalistboards.com
Been reading off and on there, just like anything it has good info, and some not so much. Signed up this morning, still waiting for the conformation email. Maybe some things are worth the wait.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

It's been a few years since I hung out over there - they had good peeps and info back then.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Stay off the non-survival sub-forums to avoid most of the static.

Just like anywhere they do attract trolls and other scum though.

It is also an international forum so be prepared for SJWs from outside the USA trying to tell us how to run our Country.
Miker12

Post by Miker12 »

OK now you know that "something" will happen Sept 11th but you said you couldn't prep in time. You have less than 14 hrs before SHTF. Whatcha goin to do?

Me: fill all my gas tanks up including my spare 5-gallon sitting in the garage. Top off my propane tanks. Already had the septic tank cleaner come by last week to vacuum out my Shite so that will be give me another 4 to 6 yrs of crap to do. In the morning I hit up Costco to get some more non-perishable foods that I thought I had enough of and that extra box of Clorox bleach bottles. Also I noticed over the last week that my cash reserve was down so I went and pulled another $500 in cash (in $20s) to store away.

What are you thinking?
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

I'm thinking you should already have had more than just 5gal of spare gas on hand, I have a 1000gal propane tank so not worried, have the better part of a years worth of food so no last minute shopping trips and WELL more than $500 on hand. Heck I have over $400 in just mad money in my pocket right now.
AZGEEZER

Post by AZGEEZER »

Steve_In_29 wrote: September 10th, 2018, 9:40 pm I'm thinking you should already have had more than just 5gal of spare gas on hand, I have a 1000gal propane tank so not worried, have the better part of a years worth of food so no last minute shopping trips and WELL more than $500 on hand. Heck I have over $400 in just mad money in my pocket right now.
Pretty much the same here, with maybe some bonuses. Only a 500gal propane tank, and that'll last 3yrs, longer if I ever built a solar water preheater. Solar power so no power issues as far as that goes. Those special meat chickens, and boy do they grow fast, and they go through 50Lbs of food a week. No real need to store fuel, we just don't use it like you think. Built a small generator, runs 11-12hrs on just under a gallon of fuel. Low output and D/C for batteries, nothing fancy but works great.

Never heard what's supposed to happen the 11th but as the day goes on I don't think anything is going to change either.

Steve.....I hope you have a water tank and not just the well part. Know folks that live out there in Texas, when they lost power they had no water for a week, even though they have a well. Around here we pump water into a tank, that way if something happens to the well pump or whatever we have water.
Super Trucker

Post by Super Trucker »

AZGEEZER wrote: September 11th, 2018, 2:33 am
Steve_In_29 wrote: September 10th, 2018, 9:40 pm I'm thinking you should already have had more than just 5gal of spare gas on hand, I have a 1000gal propane tank so not worried, have the better part of a years worth of food so no last minute shopping trips and WELL more than $500 on hand. Heck I have over $400 in just mad money in my pocket right now.
Pretty much the same here, with maybe some bonuses. Only a 500gal propane tank, and that'll last 3yrs, longer if I ever built a solar water preheater. Solar power so no power issues as far as that goes. Those special meat chickens, and boy do they grow fast, and they go through 50Lbs of food a week. No real need to store fuel, we just don't use it like you think. Built a small generator, runs 11-12hrs on just under a gallon of fuel. Low output and D/C for batteries, nothing fancy but works great.

Never heard what's supposed to happen the 11th but as the day goes on I don't think anything is going to change either.

Steve.....I hope you have a water tank and not just the well part. Know folks that live out there in Texas, when they lost power they had no water for a week, even though they have a well. Around here we pump water into a tank, that way if something happens to the well pump or whatever we have water.
The cheapest way to fix that problem is an inverter for you vehicle. Plug it in and it will power the well good enough to drink/flush/bathe etc.
You do have your well wired to accept an extension cord for power if needed, right?
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

AZGEEZER wrote: September 11th, 2018, 2:33 am

I don't have a tank yet but we are looking into switching well pump out for a dual power (elec/solar) one and adding a 2500gal tank. Just have some more pressing things to spend $5K on right now. Though my well has started to loose prime when we have been gone for a few weeks, so might have to do it sooner rather than later.

The 1000gal of propane can power a genset, so still can have water if electric goes out.

I store fuel since diesel lasts pretty much forever and not much gas goes a long way when used in my Kawi Mule.

What is the cost/benefit ratio on those chickens going through 50lbs of feed like that. Is it they cost more then store bought meat but you just aren't dependent on the store or what? You can't free range them? My neighbor has egg layers and while I do know they need some feed, I think he mostly feeds them from scraps and bugs they forage for.