Talk to me about MRE's

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
campinginaz
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Talk to me about MRE's

Post by campinginaz »

I haven't really eaten or purchased MRE's in over a decade (probably longer). We had the dark brown packaging and then later the light brown packaging when I served.

What are some good sites to buy from these days? There seems to be a ton of them.

Any brands that are a must have? Any brands to stay away from?

Longevity is the most important factor to me, followed by cost, and then taste.

Any help is appreciated!

SupportTheSecond

Re: Talk to me about MRE's

Post by SupportTheSecond »

I've bought from many different sources, a couple of things stand out. When they are "on sale" that usually means that either they are getting near their expiration date or they have been mishandled.

I bought a case of ten from "That Daily Deal" and I always will open one to inspect it. These were obviously exposed to extreme levels of heat as the included package of "Skittles" were a melted blob. I returned those of course. As well the included heaters were no good. If you are looking at "longevity" you're much better of investing in freeze dried options.

Most MRES are good for a short time compared to freeze dried. I only use them for camping or hunting trips and will use them within a couple of years if they are not damaged or expired. Taste wise, honestly the genuine military ones seem to be the best, there are many others out there that are not. I have also found that the majority of ones I have purchased almost without fail have bad heaters for some reason.

One of my favorites when they are acceptable is the Chili Cheese Mac MRE. The grape jelly and cracker are ok as well when you're hungry as well. All of them have a high caloric value since that's what they're designed for so if you're watching what you consume they're not the best choice out there.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

SupportTheSecond wrote: February 25th, 2024, 8:35 am If you are looking at "longevity" you're much better of investing in freeze dried options.

Most MRES are good for a short time compared to freeze dried. I only use them for camping or hunting trips and will use them within a couple of years if they are not damaged or expired. Taste wise, honestly the genuine military ones seem to be the best, there are many others out there that are not. I have also found that the majority of ones I have purchased almost without fail have bad heaters for some reason.
Definitely agree with freeze dried for extra long shelf life. I see some MRE's listed at 3 years and some at 5 years. I think 5 years is good as I only want a few cases. They will be stored indoors. I want a few for a BOB etc.

Found this article which was helpful and worth reading. https://survivalfreedom.com/the-5-best- ... -buy-mres/
SupportTheSecond

I've ordered the Amazon linked ones from Food Dude 82nd, and they seem to be the freshest ones with inspection dates of 2024, so technically 5 years from that date they would "expire" but they last even longer is stored well.

jrleen

Post by jrleen »

I just cycled some out and found them at $100-140 per case depending on brand... USGI contractor or good sim civilan. Figure $25-35 per day cost. I always expect 5 years stored in conditioned space and cycle out to vehical backup for 1 year+/-. Have both MRE's for grab and go and freeze dried stash for longer in place backup. Figure on 3 MRE's per day and add more for really active periods. Always have a few extra heaters on hand as backup. Heaters make for good warmers in a pinch. The very best I have tried are the French RCIR 24 hour packs but they are also as pricey as a french restarant. These are really good at a average cost of $60-75 a day ration. Maybe you want a few for date night when SHTF. Patiot Suppy has some MRE's on sale now that have been historically reasonable tasting. Every brand has favorite menu. I mix my MRE's up btwn the USGI brands and good knock offs.

Everyone has their own comfort stash formula by afforabilty or choice. I keep 2 days MRE's in my truck, RV and UTV. Hunting and long hikes I like to toss 1 or 2 in my pack just in case. My at home ratio is about 20-28 days one person grab-go MREs and 60 days 4 person freeze dried. Beyond that I have traditional canned meats, stews, sardines, crackers, ramen etc easy to cycle in the pantry.
Mike-4

Post by Mike-4 »

Good info here. Anyone know the best place to purchase the genuine MRE's on-line as well as local?

Regards
AR-15Man

Post by AR-15Man »

https://mremountain.com/

I'm purchased from here before. Good variety of U.S. MRE's as well as foreign MRE's and components.
Mike-4

Post by Mike-4 »

Thanks!
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

SupportTheSecond wrote: February 25th, 2024, 11:49 am I've ordered the Amazon linked ones from Food Dude 82nd, and they seem to be the freshest ones with inspection dates of 2024, so technically 5 years from that date they would "expire" but they last even longer is stored well.

Thank you! I saw this seller on Amazon and they have good reviews.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

jrleen wrote: February 25th, 2024, 2:05 pm I always expect 5 years stored in conditioned space and cycle out to vehical backup for 1 year+/-. Have both MRE's for grab and go and freeze dried stash for longer in place backup. Figure on 3 MRE's per day and add more for really active periods. Always have a few extra heaters on hand as backup. Heaters make for good warmers in a pinch. The very best I have tried are the French RCIR 24 hour packs but they are also as pricey as a french restarant. These are really good at a average cost of $60-75 a day ration. Maybe you want a few for date night when SHTF. Patiot Suppy has some MRE's on sale now that have been historically reasonable tasting. Every brand has favorite menu. I mix my MRE's up btwn the USGI brands and good knock offs.

Thank you! I was wondering how long they would last in a vehicle, especially in AZ! I was thinking of ordering from Patriot Supply but I'll probably stay away from the French RCIR due to the price.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

AR-15Man wrote: February 26th, 2024, 11:54 pm https://mremountain.com/

I'm purchased from here before. Good variety of U.S. MRE's as well as foreign MRE's and components.
Thank you I will check them out!
SupportTheSecond

Some of the MREs at mremountain are a kick! especially the 'Spanish" military ones. Whoa!!
jrleen

Post by jrleen »

Look up "First Strike Rations" they are 24 hour packs that come in cases of 9. Meant for first 72 hours. Designed for full day of snack/meals approx 2900 cal on the go. Vender on Amazon has deal on cases incl/shipping right now. Super handy on hunts and day treks taking up less space than 3 standard mres. Have not seen them priced right for quite a while....just ordered a couple cases.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

jrleen wrote: March 5th, 2024, 10:23 am Look up "First Strike Rations" they are 24 hour packs that come in cases of 9. Meant for first 72 hours. Designed for full day of snack/meals approx 2900 cal on the go. Vender on Amazon has deal on cases incl/shipping right now. Super handy on hunts and day treks taking up less space than 3 standard mres. Have not seen them priced right for quite a while....just ordered a couple cases.
Thank you! I will check it out.
What
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by What »

campinginaz wrote: February 29th, 2024, 8:40 am
Thank you! I was wondering how long they would last in a vehicle, especially in AZ! I was thinking of ordering from Patriot Supply but I'll probably stay away from the French RCIR due to the price.
We used MRE on fires which usually left in truck until we put in our fire pack after each use. Always been good unless tear or opened.