Seeking Advice: Emergency Insulin Refrigeration Solutions for Power Outages in High Heat

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
YotaSauce
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Seeking Advice: Emergency Insulin Refrigeration Solutions for Power Outages in High Heat

Post by YotaSauce »

I am reaching out to this knowledgeable community for advice on preparing for an emergency scenario where we might be without electricity for an extended period. This situation could arise from various causes such as a power grid failure, EMP, or other circumstances leading to a complete loss of electricity.

The critical challenge I'm facing is ensuring that my wife's insulin remains properly refrigerated. She has Type 1 diabetes, and it's crucial that her insulin is kept cool, especially considering we live in Arizona, where temperatures often soar above 115°F.

I am currently exploring solar-powered or battery-operated refrigeration options that would be suitable for storing insulin in such extreme conditions. But, I am unsure of their ability to keep power for longer period of time or the draw that these will take to continuously run.

I am interested in learning about portable coolers or refrigeration systems that are reliable in off-grid scenarios. If anyone has experience with such systems, particularly in high-temperature environments, your insights would be incredibly valuable.

Additionally, I am open to alternative suggestions or strategies that might not strictly involve solar or battery power. Gas/Propane powered generators or something alike would be acceptable as well, provided that they can perform without the need to "refill the tanks" if the system collapse, hence my thoughts on solar generation / battery usage. The primary objective is to ensure that the insulin remains at the required temperature, even in the absence of conventional electricity sources.

I recently read the novel by William R. Forstchen named One Second After (Amazing read highly recommended). This left me with too many thoughts on Type 1 diabetes medical care for my wife and I'd getting a little lost in the sauce/options/setups.

I'm not a millionaire, but I am willing to spend what's needed.

I appreciate any advice, personal experiences, or recommendations for products that you can share. Your input could be instrumental in helping us prepare effectively for such emergencies.

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

mtptwo

Re: Seeking Advice: Emergency Insulin Refrigeration Solutions for Power Outages in High Heat

Post by mtptwo »

My first thought was a generator.

But, consider a chest freezer and a temp control module to turn it into a refrigerator. Those will stay cold for days, and even if you open it, no cold air gets out, and no hot air in. Plus, if you fill it with other things, that will help maintain the temp.
Brlux

Re: Seeking Advice: Emergency Insulin Refrigeration Solutions for Power Outages in High Heat

Post by Brlux »

Most people don't consider it, but your car is a excellent backup generator. It can produce 500-800W at idle and does not consume much fuel at idle. A smaller 4 cylinder car is on the order or 1/4-1/2 gallon consumption per hour. If you are good about never letting your tank run low you could have several gallons of fresh fuel on hand for running items. Adding an inverter you could power other 120V loads in your home or power tools for a short time with a big enough inverter directly connected to the battery. You could start it up and let it run for a hour a few times a day to keep the fridge and some other small items running. Just need to be smart about Carbon Monoxide poisoning like running an actual generator, and guarding against someone driving off with your running car.

That said you may want to consider a small high efficiency fridge. Lots of companies make 12V travel fridges now with actual compressors. They are very efficient and effective. You can set them to whatever temp you want even below freezing. The old fridges from a few years ago with peltier junction cooling were garbage only able to get down 20-30 deg cooler than the outside temps.
You can run these travel fridges on 12VDC like your car or 120VAC through an adapter from the wall.

For reference Goal Zero makes a good product all be it at a premium price. There are likely to be better value propositions out there from other vendors, but in my experience they make a quality product. Here is a package with a fridge and a medium sized power bank Yeti 700 + ALTA50 it should be able to run their fridge for 2-3 days before needing to be charged up via AC power, Car connection, or solar panels.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

12V fridge/cooler, deep cycle marine battery, and a 100W solar panel. Done and done.
SupportTheSecond

Post by SupportTheSecond »

I have a "solar" generator with 200 W panels that will keep it charged. Would power a small refrigeration unit no problem. As well as be available for other tasks. Not very expensive either.
Cmoor

Post by Cmoor »

I have an automotive 12 volt refrigerator in my overland truck it's 37 qts. temp range is adjustable from -6 to 60 degrees. My 100 AH battery in my truck will last 3 days without re-charging. I would recommend a 100 to 200 watt solar unit to charge a 100 AH battery it should have no problem keeping things cool indefinitely. I have a cheap Alpicool refrigerator cost a couple hundred bucks. I got it five years ago and I was using it everyday for about 2 years with no problem. even sitting inside my SUV in the summer it will maintain 35 to 40 degrees with no problem. I have also kept ice cream frozen for days in it and actually made ice in it too.. All of that even in the Arizona summer heat.

For your use I would set the fridge inside and have the solar charger and battery outside with a good heavy Gage wire coming inside. Don't skimp on the wire coming inside and keep the wires as short as possible too reduce the energy lost to resistance. You could also use the unit if you go hunting or camping.
RufusXG

Post by RufusXG »

QuietM4 wrote: February 1st, 2024, 6:49 pm 12V fridge/cooler, deep cycle marine battery, and a 100W solar panel. Done and done.
This seems like the most straightforward solution, though I might substitute a lithium battery, which can be essentially emptied of charge and then recharged with no ill effects. Only downside is the potential for extended sun-less days, not a high probability here.

As a last line of defense, it's surprising how long a good ice chest stuffed with quality ice packs will stay cold. Having those ice packs to stuff into the 12V fridge won't hurt either.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

A battery powered generator plus solar panels to charge it could work. Keep in mind, a fridge has much higher starting loads than running, so probably better to get a dorm fridge.

A more "outside the box" option is a countertop ice maker.

And yes, a traditional gas generator would also work to power your kitchen fridge...again, remember surge/starting loads
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

I'm not going to claim that I'm an expert, but for the power source I would go with solar powered batteries and solar panels. You could always start with one battery and one panel and a more batteries as the budget permits. If one battery can be used to power a small fridge, electric cooler, or something similar, and you have several batteries, I think you would be good for the days without sun as well. It won't be as cheap as a gas generator, but the sun is probably not running out of fuel anytime soon and you might not want to rely on gas you have on hand or having to try and get more gas.

As far as a fridge, if it's just for insulin and will be kept indoors I wonder if one of those small office soda refrigerators would be sufficient. They are not very expensive.
superduty38

Post by superduty38 »

The 12 volt travel fridge does not draw much power to keep cool enough for the insulin. I have had several over the years in my semi before the big sleepers with big fridges. With a small solar setup and battery you should be able to keep that small fridge going easily.
YotaSauce

Post by YotaSauce »

mtptwo wrote: February 1st, 2024, 2:43 pm My first thought was a generator.

But, consider a chest freezer and a temp control module to turn it into a refrigerator. Those will stay cold for days, and even if you open it, no cold air gets out, and no hot air in. Plus, if you fill it with other things, that will help maintain the temp.
@mtptwo The idea of using a chest freezer with a temperature control module is intriguing, and I hadn't considered that option. The prospect of it maintaining a stable temperature for days is particularly appealing, especially given the extreme temperatures we experience in Arizona. The only perceived issue is that insulin cannot be frozen. Insulin must be stored in a refrigerator at approximately 36°F to 46°F.

I have a few follow-up questions about this setup:

Generator Dependence: How feasible is it to rely on a generator for powering the chest freezer, especially in prolonged outage scenarios? Do you have recommendations for fuel-efficient or solar-powered generators that could sustain this kind of setup? Seems there are generators ranging from Harbor Freight to Honda.

Temperature Control: Could you provide more details or specific recommendations for the temperature control module? I need to ensure that the temperature remains within a safe range for insulin storage.
YotaSauce

Post by YotaSauce »

Brlux wrote: February 1st, 2024, 4:51 pm Most people don't consider it, but your car is a excellent backup generator. It can produce 500-800W at idle and does not consume much fuel at idle. A smaller 4 cylinder car is on the order or 1/4-1/2 gallon consumption per hour. If you are good about never letting your tank run low you could have several gallons of fresh fuel on hand for running items. Adding an inverter you could power other 120V loads in your home or power tools for a short time with a big enough inverter directly connected to the battery. You could start it up and let it run for a hour a few times a day to keep the fridge and some other small items running. Just need to be smart about Carbon Monoxide poisoning like running an actual generator, and guarding against someone driving off with your running car.

That said you may want to consider a small high efficiency fridge. Lots of companies make 12V travel fridges now with actual compressors. They are very efficient and effective. You can set them to whatever temp you want even below freezing. The old fridges from a few years ago with peltier junction cooling were garbage only able to get down 20-30 deg cooler than the outside temps.
You can run these travel fridges on 12VDC like your car or 120VAC through an adapter from the wall.

For reference Goal Zero makes a good product all be it at a premium price. There are likely to be better value propositions out there from other vendors, but in my experience they make a quality product. Here is a package with a fridge and a medium sized power bank Yeti 700 + ALTA50 it should be able to run their fridge for 2-3 days before needing to be charged up via AC power, Car connection, or solar panels.
@Brlux This is something I did not consider for sure. Using my car as a sort of backup generator makes sense now that you say this. Plus, the tips on using an inverter to power up stuff at home are super helpful.

Just a couple of things I'm curious about:

Any specific inverters you'd recommend that are safe and efficient for this kind of use?
For safety, especially with carbon monoxide, any extra precautions I should keep in mind?
And about the risk of someone swiping my car while it's running, any smart ways to prevent that?
About the travel fridge suggestion – that's a fantastic idea! I've got a few questions there too:

Do you have any go-to brands or models for these 12V fridges?
For keeping the fridge running, how does using the car stack up against something like the Goal Zero Yeti 700 + ALTA50?
Apart from AC, car charging, and solar, are there other good ways to juice up a power bank in emergencies?
Really appreciate your insights on this. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
YotaSauce

Post by YotaSauce »

QuietM4 wrote: February 1st, 2024, 6:49 pm 12V fridge/cooler, deep cycle marine battery, and a 100W solar panel. Done and done.
@QuietM4 So the ideal is to use the solar panel to trickle charge the marine battery as that runs the Fridge? Any estimates on how long this setup could run the fridge? Hours? Days? Weeks?

Thank you for the idea with this, I think it's sparking a setup that could work.
YotaSauce

Post by YotaSauce »

SupportTheSecond wrote: February 1st, 2024, 7:57 pm I have a "solar" generator with 200 W panels that will keep it charged. Would power a small refrigeration unit no problem. As well as be available for other tasks. Not very expensive either.
@SupportTheSecond Thanks for sharing about your solar generator setup. It's a relief to hear that you've got a 200 W panel system that can handle a small fridge without any issues. Plus, the fact that it's not too pricey is definitely a plus.

I've got a few questions about your setup:

Can you share which solar generator model you're using? I'm curious about the specs and how well it performs. I see Costco has something like these on sale right now, could power a smaller fridge I'd guess. https://www.costco.com/jackery-explorer ... 82895.html
How does it handle the Arizona heat? I'm guessing that's a big factor in how well it performs.
Any recommendations on a small refrigeration unit that works well with a setup like yours?
Lastly, what other tasks do you usually power with your solar generator? Just trying to get an idea of its versatility.
Really appreciate your input. It's super helpful as I figure out the best setup for our needs.
YotaSauce

Post by YotaSauce »

Cmoor wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 7:07 pm I have an automotive 12 volt refrigerator in my overland truck it's 37 qts. temp range is adjustable from -6 to 60 degrees. My 100 AH battery in my truck will last 3 days without re-charging. I would recommend a 100 to 200 watt solar unit to charge a 100 AH battery it should have no problem keeping things cool indefinitely. I have a cheap Alpicool refrigerator cost a couple hundred bucks. I got it five years ago and I was using it everyday for about 2 years with no problem. even sitting inside my SUV in the summer it will maintain 35 to 40 degrees with no problem. I have also kept ice cream frozen for days in it and actually made ice in it too.. All of that even in the Arizona summer heat.

For your use I would set the fridge inside and have the solar charger and battery outside with a good heavy Gage wire coming inside. Don't skimp on the wire coming inside and keep the wires as short as possible too reduce the energy lost to resistance. You could also use the unit if you go hunting or camping.
@Cmoor I like hearing that your automotive 12-volt fridge and how it's been holding up, especially in our Arizona heat. Keeping ice cream frozen in this weather? Now that's impressive! Insulin be stored in a refrigerator at approximately 36°F to 46°F, so sounds like what you have will help with that.

I'm thinking about your suggestions and have a few things I'm curious about:

The Alpicool refrigerator sounds like a solid choice. Any specific model you'd recommend based on your experience?
For the solar setup, do you have any brand or model recommendations for a 100 to 200 watt unit and a 100 AH battery?
About the wiring – totally get your point on not skimping. Any tips on what gauge wire to go for and the best way to set it up for minimal energy loss?
And just out of curiosity, have you faced any maintenance issues or needed any special care for your fridge or solar setup over the years?
Really appreciate you sharing your experience. It's giving me some great ideas on how to keep things cool, plus some extra perks for camping and hunting too.