Seeking Advice: Emergency Insulin Refrigeration Solutions for Power Outages in High Heat

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
YotaSauce
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Seeking Advice: Emergency Insulin Refrigeration Solutions for Power Outages in High Heat

Post by YotaSauce »

RufusXG wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 8:32 pm
QuietM4 wrote: February 1st, 2024, 6:49 pm 12V fridge/cooler, deep cycle marine battery, and a 100W solar panel. Done and done.
This seems like the most straightforward solution, though I might substitute a lithium battery, which can be essentially emptied of charge and then recharged with no ill effects. Only downside is the potential for extended sun-less days, not a high probability here.

As a last line of defense, it's surprising how long a good ice chest stuffed with quality ice packs will stay cold. Having those ice packs to stuff into the 12V fridge won't hurt either.
@RufusXG I like the ice chest idea too. My first thoughts were a Yeti or similar cooler with deep-freeze ice packs. But the longevity route is what I am striving for and the cooler can help in the short term. But, I'm hoping to prep for a 3-6 months of need with the possibility of longer at no additional or drastic changes to the set up.

YotaSauce

Re: Seeking Advice: Emergency Insulin Refrigeration Solutions for Power Outages in High Heat

Post by YotaSauce »

Racewin wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 10:27 pm A battery powered generator plus solar panels to charge it could work. Keep in mind, a fridge has much higher starting loads than running, so probably better to get a dorm fridge.

A more "outside the box" option is a countertop ice maker.

And yes, a traditional gas generator would also work to power your kitchen fridge...again, remember surge/starting loads
@Racewin Thanks for this. The battery-powered generator paired with solar panels sounds like a solid plan, especially with the convenience of charging it up with solar energy. Something like this? https://www.costco.com/jackery-explorer ... 82895.html

I've got a few questions on your suggestions:

Regarding the battery-powered generator, do you have any specific models or brands in mind that you think would work well for this purpose?
Good point about the starting loads of a fridge. Do you have any recommendations for a reliable dorm fridge that's energy efficient? I was trying to figure out and understand the wattage from a fridge but generally all if find is "yearly watts".
The countertop ice maker idea is definitely outside the box! Have you used one before? I'm curious about how effective they are in keeping things cool in a pinch.
And about the traditional gas generator - any tips on what to look for, especially considering surge/starting loads?
Your insights are super helpful, giving me a lot to consider for our setup.
YotaSauce

Post by YotaSauce »

campinginaz wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 9:47 am I'm not going to claim that I'm an expert, but for the power source I would go with solar powered batteries and solar panels. You could always start with one battery and one panel and a more batteries as the budget permits. If one battery can be used to power a small fridge, electric cooler, or something similar, and you have several batteries, I think you would be good for the days without sun as well. It won't be as cheap as a gas generator, but the sun is probably not running out of fuel anytime soon and you might not want to rely on gas you have on hand or having to try and get more gas.

As far as a fridge, if it's just for insulin and will be kept indoors I wonder if one of those small office soda refrigerators would be sufficient. They are not very expensive.
@campinginaz Really appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this. The idea of starting with a solar-powered battery and panel and then scaling up as needed seems like a smart approach. It's great to have a setup that's expandable and flexible.

I've got a few things I'm wondering about:

Do you have any specific brands or models for the solar panels and batteries that you think would be a good starting point?
About the small office soda refrigerators – that's a good idea for just storing insulin. Have you used one, or do you know anyone who has? I'm curious about how well they maintain a consistent temperature.
Also, in terms of energy consumption, do you think these small fridges would be efficient enough to run on a solar battery setup without draining too much power?
You're right about the sun not running out of fuel, and it does seem like a more sustainable option in the long run compared to a gas generator.

Thanks again for your input – it's giving me some great avenues to explore!
YotaSauce

Post by YotaSauce »

superduty38 wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 9:07 pm The 12 volt travel fridge does not draw much power to keep cool enough for the insulin. I have had several over the years in my semi before the big sleepers with big fridges. With a small solar setup and battery you should be able to keep that small fridge going easily.
@superduty38 Thanks for weighing in with your experience. It's reassuring to hear that a 12-volt travel fridge doesn't need a lot of power to keep things cool. Since you've used several over the years in your semi, it sounds like you've got a good handle on how they work.

A couple of questions for you:

Do you have any favorite brands or models of 12-volt travel fridges that you found particularly reliable or efficient?
For the solar setup and battery, any recommendations on size or specs that would work well with a small travel fridge?
Just out of curiosity, how do these fridges handle extreme temperatures, especially in a vehicle environment?
Your insight's super valuable, especially coming from your firsthand experience. Looking forward to your thoughts.
Brlux

Post by Brlux »

Idling a car for a long time would need similar precautions to running gas generator. It should be as far as reasonably possible from an enclosed living space. Consider Carbon Monixide alarms to be extra safe. As for how to keep the car from being swiped that is going to depend on your situation, If it was me I would park it in the back yard behind a locked gate.

As for inverters Sinewave ones are a little more pricey (but not as bad as they were a few years ago). They are better at running motors and sensitive electronics. It really depends on what you are wanting to run as to the size. But I will say the start up surge on a fridge compressor can brutal. A few years ago I had the house running on a 48V Exeltech 1100W inverter and sometimes it would fail to start the fridge which only drew 175W when running, even when there was very minimal additional loading on the inverter.
When we replaced that fridge we got a Samsung inverted drive one which has very soft starts and can easily run on a 300W DC/AC inverter.

I can't vouch for this 1500W Sinewave inverter, having never seen it, but the feature set and price point look right, Sinewave, information display, remote information display, USB-C PD charge ports, Wireless on off remote, battery cables included.

It would be an interesting experiment to gas up the car, park it in the back yard and try running your needs off it for day or two, cycling it on and off to find the duty cycle that supported your needs. Perhaps start with something like 1 hour on, 2 hours off. The Inverter should have a low voltage alarm and then a low voltage shutoff to protect the battery. When the alarm goes off shut down the inverter because it will be unhappy running things with car starter turning over. Start the car for an hour or so and repeat. At the end of your testing go gas the car back up and determine what your actual burn was.

As for small DC compressor fridges Dometic was the original manufacture of that concept, now dozens of companies make them at lower prices and quality. Probably going to have to rely on your Amazon review BS detector.

The car and ~$200 inverter is probably your cheapest option, but if it was me I would probably be looking at a 12V fridge and a 500-1500Wh power pack with 200W+ of solar. If you are handy you can put your own together for cheaper but it will require more hands on configuration and management. The big power packs already have MPPT Solar charge controllers in them, and make for a much simpler user experience.
SupportTheSecond

Post by SupportTheSecond »

YotaSauce wrote: February 5th, 2024, 11:56 pm
SupportTheSecond wrote: February 1st, 2024, 7:57 pm I have a "solar" generator with 200 W panels that will keep it charged. Would power a small refrigeration unit no problem. As well as be available for other tasks. Not very expensive either.
@SupportTheSecond Thanks for sharing about your solar generator setup. It's a relief to hear that you've got a 200 W panel system that can handle a small fridge without any issues. Plus, the fact that it's not too pricey is definitely a plus.

I've got a few questions about your setup:

Can you share which solar generator model you're using? I'm curious about the specs and how well it performs. I see Costco has something like these on sale right now, could power a smaller fridge I'd guess. https://www.costco.com/jackery-explorer ... 82895.html
How does it handle the Arizona heat? I'm guessing that's a big factor in how well it performs.
Any recommendations on a small refrigeration unit that works well with a setup like yours?
Lastly, what other tasks do you usually power with your solar generator? Just trying to get an idea of its versatility.
Really appreciate your input. It's super helpful as I figure out the best setup for our needs.
I have been using the model below, have had it about 18 months and my monthly battery check on it has always been 100% which really surprised me. I will attach the links to the two parts I use for the hardware. Been very happy with it although I have only used it to test with and not long term in hours, but it has very positive reviews and comments. (The one linked below is very similar to the Gooloo 600, but they show the Gooloo 600 not available on Amazon.

FOR SOME REASON THE LINKS ARE NOT SHOWING IN THE POST.

THE PANELS:

This is the 120 Watt version, the no longer listed the 200.

Racewin

Post by Racewin »

That package you listed from Costco is a good deal. It's got more juice than you need, but I think it's worth it for piece of mind and being able to run things longer between charges if needed.

You shouldn't have trouble running any dorm sized fridge on that, but the lowest cost-per-year should reflect more efficiency/lower power use.

Table top ice makers actually work pretty well/quick. I like ice because its a way of "storing" cold (in a cooler).

Something else to consider is a wireless thermometer to keep an eye on actual temps where the insulin is.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

YotaSauce wrote: February 6th, 2024, 12:23 am
campinginaz wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 9:47 am I'm not going to claim that I'm an expert, but for the power source I would go with solar powered batteries and solar panels. You could always start with one battery and one panel and a more batteries as the budget permits. If one battery can be used to power a small fridge, electric cooler, or something similar, and you have several batteries, I think you would be good for the days without sun as well. It won't be as cheap as a gas generator, but the sun is probably not running out of fuel anytime soon and you might not want to rely on gas you have on hand or having to try and get more gas.

As far as a fridge, if it's just for insulin and will be kept indoors I wonder if one of those small office soda refrigerators would be sufficient. They are not very expensive.
@campinginaz Really appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this. The idea of starting with a solar-powered battery and panel and then scaling up as needed seems like a smart approach. It's great to have a setup that's expandable and flexible.

I've got a few things I'm wondering about:

Do you have any specific brands or models for the solar panels and batteries that you think would be a good starting point?
About the small office soda refrigerators – that's a good idea for just storing insulin. Have you used one, or do you know anyone who has? I'm curious about how well they maintain a consistent temperature.
Also, in terms of energy consumption, do you think these small fridges would be efficient enough to run on a solar battery setup without draining too much power?
You're right about the sun not running out of fuel, and it does seem like a more sustainable option in the long run compared to a gas generator.

Thanks again for your input – it's giving me some great avenues to explore!
Hey man, happy to help out in any way I can.

I have a Jackery setup which is a medium quality product with decent pricing. Is there better and more expensive stuff out there.... absolutely. Will this do the job, I believe it will and it won't break the bank as much.

This being said I have only had mine since November of 2022 (they do great black Friday deals!). I have taken it camping to test it out a few times but I have not tested it long term. They do have great reviews online though.

Here is the setup that I have = https://www.jackery.com/products/jacker ... 8994325591

Here it is on Amazon (often cheaper) = Jackery on Amazon

As far as a refrigerator I won't be as much help.

This is what I have in my office, and while it might be an OK option I would get something better, and maybe get this as a backup option if your primary goes out since it's cheap enough.

Coke Fridge

Here is another cheaper option with great reviews. I don't have any experience though.
Frigidaire

I'm in San Tan Valley if you want to meet up sometime and I can show you the Jackery setup.
Cmoor

Post by Cmoor »

YotaSauce wrote: February 6th, 2024, 12:13 am
Cmoor wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 7:07 pm I have an automotive 12 volt refrigerator in my overland truck it's 37 qts. temp range is adjustable from -6 to 60 degrees. My 100 AH battery in my truck will last 3 days without re-charging. I would recommend a 100 to 200 watt solar unit to charge a 100 AH battery it should have no problem keeping things cool indefinitely. I have a cheap Alpicool refrigerator cost a couple hundred bucks. I got it five years ago and I was using it everyday for about 2 years with no problem. even sitting inside my SUV in the summer it will maintain 35 to 40 degrees with no problem. I have also kept ice cream frozen for days in it and actually made ice in it too.. All of that even in the Arizona summer heat.

For your use I would set the fridge inside and have the solar charger and battery outside with a good heavy Gage wire coming inside. Don't skimp on the wire coming inside and keep the wires as short as possible too reduce the energy lost to resistance. You could also use the unit if you go hunting or camping.
@Cmoor I like hearing that your automotive 12-volt fridge and how it's been holding up, especially in our Arizona heat. Keeping ice cream frozen in this weather? Now that's impressive! Insulin be stored in a refrigerator at approximately 36°F to 46°F, so sounds like what you have will help with that.

I'm thinking about your suggestions and have a few things I'm curious about:

The Alpicool refrigerator sounds like a solid choice. Any specific model you'd recommend based on your experience?
For the solar setup, do you have any brand or model recommendations for a 100 to 200 watt unit and a 100 AH battery?
About the wiring – totally get your point on not skimping. Any tips on what gauge wire to go for and the best way to set it up for minimal energy loss?
And just out of curiosity, have you faced any maintenance issues or needed any special care for your fridge or solar setup over the years?
Really appreciate you sharing your experience. It's giving me some great ideas on how to keep things cool, plus some extra perks for camping and hunting too.
I have an Alpicool CF35 I run a 12 gauge wire from battery to cooler. Running watts are around 45 but it does not draw that amount full time. Set it up out of direct sun and you should be fine. Renogy makes a 200 watt solar unit with a charge controller then just add whatever type of battery you want to use. If you run one of the 12 /24 volt units you wont need to waste energy converting it with an inverter. Inverters are draining the battery full time even when the fridge is not running. A dc unit will only draw power when the motor in the fridge is actively running. With the Alpicool you can adjust the temp to maintain the temperature you want.

Only maintenance is to clean out the inside when needed and I blew out dust collecting on the evaporator or condenser after 3 years

You should be able to put a system together for under $750.00 depending on what batteries you use.

Fridge around $240
Solar unit around $260
100 AH battery from $150 to $200 or more depending on what kind you get.
Batteries could be wet cell, gas mat or on the expensive side a Lithium.