Best small solar power charger?

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Best small solar power charger?

Post by smithers599 »

About to go on Amazon and order something little for camping/hunting, and also for TEOTWAKI of course, to keep small rechargeable things charged.

Your recommendations?

ducatilover

Re: Best small solar power charger?

Post by ducatilover »

How small are we talking about? Small will mean less output. How many watts are you looking for?
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

ducatilover wrote: February 26th, 2023, 7:53 pm How small are we talking about? Small will mean less output. How many watts are you looking for?
Say a cell phone or two. Or some rechargeable flashlight or radio batteries.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

I went with a Jackery 300 Watt and 100 watt folding solar panel. I just bought it a couple of months ago so I haven't really tried it out yet. They have a lot of good reviews and I'd say it's a good mid grade option. You can sign up for thier emails to get deals.
ducatilover

Post by ducatilover »

I have 10w and 100w panel I keep around for camping. Haven’t had the chance to use the 100w. Most Solar controllers have a USB port on them. I built a battery box with a 7amphr battery and the small tackle box. Hook up to the solar panel controller and I’m good to go. Plenty out there but they aren’t cheap. I preferred to build mine. Sometimes slickdeals site post some decent deals.

This is a bigger one but you get the idea.
Attachments
2C137D52-E0D4-460C-8CCC-289D3650AB24.jpeg
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Thanks. I ordered a Jackery 100.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

I have been eyeballing this one. Thoughts?

campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

Tenring wrote: March 1st, 2023, 12:27 pm I have been eyeballing this one. Thoughts?

That is the exact set up I have. I haven't really used it because I just bought it a couple of months ago. It has great reviews and I'd say it's a good entry level set up.
SupportTheSecond

Post by SupportTheSecond »

We have this one along with adding 120 watt panels and other accessories. I've had it since last year and I check it monthly if it needs to top off the charge. So far it's held at 100% so I'm impressed.

Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Thanks for the info everyone!
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

:doh:
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

All of this has me asking why?

Your getting where you're going in your car. It has a battery, probably over 100amp of pwer, and It will make all the 12v/usb power you can use.

Unless you are after 110v power.. some rides even have 110 plugs..low amps

These listed power packs only make 600w 110. An inverter that size is $100. Most have a low battery cut off, won't leave you with at dead battery. I'd bet dollars to donuts thw power packs listed above wont make their rated power for an hour.

Need to recharge? Start the car. Chances are you are going somewhere again anyway right quick. If not, $3 in gas idling the car for the day will top all of it off. Plus give you you a reprieve from whatever seasonal weather you might see...A/C..heat..wind..rain.

Or....buy a real generator powered by gas. A good quality inverter genny will cost less than than this bundle of a "solar generator" (battery) AND a solar cell. 50' away they are near silent. My Honda 1k Will run for 8 hours at 500w on half a gallon of gas. THIS is a real generator. This will power your refrigerator/freezer in the case of need..something you can use if the grid goes down for a bit. Save your food.

When out at a match/meet and others want/need power? Let them plug into you super quiet genny and have them buy you a burger and beer(s) after....JMO
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

XJThrottle wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 9:16 pm All of this has me asking why?

Your getting where you're going in your car. It has a battery, probably over 100amp of pwer, and It will make all the 12v/usb power you can use.

These listed power packs only make 600w 110. An inverter that size is $100. Most have a low battery cut off, won't leave you with at dead battery. I'd bet dollars to donuts thw power packs listed above wont make their rated power for an hour.

Need to recharge? Start the car. Chances are you are going somewhere again anyway right quick. If not, $3 in gas idling the car for the day will top all of it off. Plus give you you a reprieve from whatever seasonal weather you might see...A/C..heat..wind..rain.

Or....buy a real generator powered by gas. A good quality inverter genny will cost less than than this bundle of a "solar generator" (battery) AND a solar cell. 50' away they are near silent. My Honda 1k Will run for 8 hours at 500w on half a gallon of gas. THIS is a real generator. This will power your refrigerator/freezer in the case of need..something you can use if the grid goes down for a bit. Save your food.

When out at a match/meet and others want/need power? Let them plug into you super quiet genny and have them buy you a burger and beer(s) after....JMO
You make some great points here for sure! I think the reason he might want solar is for SHTF or as he put in his post "...for camping/hunting, and also for TEOTWAKI of course, to keep small rechargeable things charged."

Once you run out of gas, it might be hard to use a regular generator, having both would also be great if it's affordable.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

campinginaz wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 7:00 am
XJThrottle wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 9:16 pm All of this has me asking why?

You make some great points here for sure! I think the reason he might want solar is for SHTF or as he put in his post "...for camping/hunting, and also for TEOTWAKI of course, to keep small rechargeable things charged."

Once you run out of gas, it might be hard to use a regular generator, having both would also be great if it's affordable.
If SHTF you won't be worried about your phone any longer than the available fuel supply. A radio? Maybe. But you won't be lugging that battery pack and solar panel behind you to charge it.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

If SHTF you won't be worried about your phone any longer than the available fuel supply. A radio? Maybe. But you won't be lugging that battery pack and solar panel behind you to charge it.
[/quote]

You are definitely correct there, can't carry that on foot, but if you were bugging in or could put it in your vehicle or trailer it would be great for charging radios, AA batteries (and other batteries for flashlights, weapon lights, and other small electronics.

If you know of anything smaller that you can plug something into please link it. I'd love an even smaller set up but I need an AC plug in for the rechargeable battery charger and radio chargers. I have one of those small solar powered banks but they only have a USB port.