Walmart & Grocery Shopping

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
62Grains
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Walmart & Grocery Shopping

Post by 62Grains »

As free time hasnt been as plentiful as i would wish lately, I have been ordering groceries and supplies and having them delivered. But I recently decided to go out and actually pick some of the stuff up myself which included a trip to Wallys World, Winco, and Frys.

Ive noticed quite the difference in shoppers and what shoppers purchased. Im kind of nosy and like to look in other peoples carts as were running around and while standing in line. These are my observations.

Winco: They typically have very savvy shoppers. They usually look the poorest from the cars in the parking lot to their clothing to the stuff they buy. But it seems like they shop the smartest and get important core ingredients and stuff that does require actual prep in order to make a meal. But they seemed especially busy.

Walmart: This was in the middle of the month and I typically go to a little bit better Walmart so maybe the shoppers that are typically there in the beginning of the month werent there this time, but I noticed most people just buying the necessities. Nobody wandering around the electronics isles or isles where the extras were being sold. It was also a lot lighter with shoppers even though I was there about 6pm. Some shelves were either empty or very low on stock. Hard noodles, ramen, cheap food, backpacks in the hunting section, and some other random stuff.

Frys: This was also interesting to see the people buying the necessities. No major steak purchases or anything that was very expensive. Also very light carts where a lot of times I go, people have their carts completely full and sometimes with even 2 carts. Also very low on ramen, hard noodles, and cheaper style food.

I suppose it could be because a lot of people have gone to delivery or pickup service, but I definitely saw people shopping way smarter than usual. How bad are people feeling the pinch? I know credit card debt has sky rocketed and so have many other things, but are people really starting to hurt?

Frys: Same kind of

62Grains

Re: Walmart & Grocery Shopping

Post by 62Grains »

One other thing I have noticed is with guns. Gun shop prices keep going up but Im also seeing tons of people putting guns up for sale for ridiculous prices on classifieds. Basic glocks for more than a gun shop charges brand new or they think theyre couple of added parts doubles the value. Are people not buying from the shops and only doing private party stuff? Some people are hurting and Ive noticed a few people selling at cheap prices. I picked up a rifle this weekend for pretty cheap and asked if he had anything else and bought him out of 4 more rifles a couple handguns along with a ton of ammo for really cheap. And it was at his named price for a package deal without even hesitating to haggle it. He said he needed the money, but I didnt want to pry and ask why. What the hell is going on?
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

62Grains wrote: February 21st, 2023, 11:41 am One other thing I have noticed is with guns. Gun shop prices keep going up but Im also seeing tons of people putting guns up for sale for ridiculous prices on classifieds. Basic glocks for more than a gun shop charges brand new or they think theyre couple of added parts doubles the value.
This has always been a thing. I call it the "Movie Star syndrome." They think that by virtue of the fact that they owned it makes it more valuable. I cant think of any other good reason :dance:

Or you get the guys that festoon their glock 19 with a bunch of aftermarket parts and think they will recover the cost of the added parts. I have bought and sold a few motorcycles over the years. You never get your parts back out of the sale.

But its nothing new. I have watched it for years. I know people who steadfastly will not buy a gun with paperwork involved but that cant explain all the inflated prices.
Dat_Ginga

Post by Dat_Ginga »

My wife and I feel it at the grocery store now. Way more expensive than what it used to be. We stick to just the core essentials and cook pretty much everything from scratch. Not to say we don't get frozen pizzas from time to time. Before covid we used to be able to afford going out to eat multiple times a week but now we stick to maybe once a week if w are lucky. our grocery trips have almost doubled in price and we are getting all the same supplies as before. We also don't buy the "name brand" items anymore unless it's the cheaper option. We also do a lot more shopping around than we used to. We would go to store A for an entire trip, now we will go to store A for a few items and store B for a few more items because of the cheaper price or if the items are out of stock. If we have any extra money to spend we find that buying gift cards to those stores help with the future grocery trips. Lucky for us her parents have a bunch of chickens so we get eggs from them and her whole family will share meat from whatever hunts they go out throughout the year.

Being newly weds and trying to get our lives together with the cost of literally everything going up has been a very difficult time for us. Before covid we talked about trying to have a kid in the first year of us being married and now that's not even an option with the cost of everything. We can barely afford ourselves let alone bringing a child into this world.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

I DID THAT
I DID THAT
IMG_5358 2.jpg (13.22 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
underw0rld

Post by underw0rld »

Lots off canned goods coming from China now. Fry's brand is all China now. Check those labels.