Israeli Gas Mask and Filter Shelf Life

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
brandyspaw
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Israeli Gas Mask and Filter Shelf Life

Post by brandyspaw »

Anyone have any knowledge of the shelf life on the old Israeli civilian gas masks/filters that were surplused out many years ago?

These were new unissued gas masks that Israel sold off after the first Persian Gulf war. The Israelis had a bunch of these for their civilian population when they were getting Scud missile attacks. I believe these were from the 1990-1991 era. They all used standard NATO threads on the filters.

When I was moving I found I still had some unopened masks and sealed filters that had been squirreled away in the heat for a lot of years now. I'm kind of wondering if they're even worth saving in my preps.

Azbuilder

Re: Israeli Gas Mask and Filter Shelf Life

Post by Azbuilder »

If it is the black bug eye type they had problems.
https://www.haaretz.com/1.4981310

The issues with all types of masks are a break down of the mask materials and sealing. Silicone and rubbers age naturally, but this increases with heat and like anything oxygen-air. Any exposure to many common chemicals also increase aging.

The filters activated raw carbon/charcoal breaks down along with any metal salts that are used as a chemical catalyst for certain NBC exposures. They are likely ok for general particles and maybe light limited exposure riot control agents.

Much better fitting, visibility, fighting and communications solutions out there for new purchase.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Like said, the old filters would be useful for training, scrubbing the back brickwork with muratic acid and maybe going down to watch the local demonstration despite CS being thrown about.... :lol:

The other thing to keep in mind when replacing them, is that military filters are designed toward the various 'NBC' threats expected to be used against them... not the everyday chemicals a firefighter would encounter.
Now if your preparing for SHTF, what kind of smoke and gases are you likely to encounter as you exfil through and from the urban area? Would there be a lot of burning buildings with who knows what stored in them? Everyday A/C units release hazardous gas when they rupture... I think most new filters are good for 10-12 years IIRC.

A modern filter such as the 3M or Scott or others that are typically used by fire departments will protect you from both military and commercial threats. New commercial masks are expensive though, so I would look for a newer production M-40, MCU2P... I've seen them in the past for around $60 but you will have to know if they are in good shape (seals) before buying any ol thing.

attached is an Exce'l07 sheet I did several years ago when I was looking for new filters and I was comparing the various brands/models against what they would protect from. It may not be current but is is a starting place...
Attachments
CBRN Filter Effectivness.7z
(24.61 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Azbuilder

Post by Azbuilder »

Well said Harrier and good info !