Just Started Prepping For CBRN Situations

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
Tinman87
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Just Started Prepping For CBRN Situations

Post by Tinman87 »

I just stocked up on masks, 6 nbc-77 filters, PAPR, gloves, haZ suits and misc part for everyone in my family because these guys were doing a sale on the MIRA safety stuff and I saved a few hundred bucks over Optics Planet pricing.

https://www.survivalsupermart.com/colle ... nd-filters

My question is, does removing this stuff from its original packaging cut down on the shelf life of it? I’d like to give my family some training of donning and doffing the equipment, but I'm thinking it may be better to buy a cheap surplus mask and some painter coveralls for training. Not a huge deal, but I guess that I’m trying to weigh the benefits of training on the actual equipment vs having to buy the kit more frequently because Im concerned about the integrity of the equipment.

Any thoughts?

NBC_LT
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Just Started Prepping For CBRN Situations

Post by NBC_LT »

Yes - as a former Army NBC officer and certified HAZMAT professional, I can affirm from my training/education/experience that opening filter packs, CBRN drug prophylaxes (Pyridostigmine Bromide) and both barrier as well as charcoal impregnated suits to the air gradually decreases their effectiveness. Wearing them and training with them rapidly decreases their effectiveness. The only piece of gear durable for multi-use/training with real-world is the respirator itself... I am living proof as a graduate of the live warfare agent training facility (way back when it was at Fort McClellan).

Albeit that atropine sulfate can be obtained from online pharmacies, you still need the 2PAM (Pralidoxime) chloride and an anti-convulsant (Diazepam - Controlled Substance) on hand. Not to mention injectors long and thick enough to penetrate through protective clothing to guarantee intramuscular injection (sub-q is not enough).

Hail Hydra above details some good fundamental training, I'd add TALKING/COMMUNICATING/SIGNALS. Get use to talking to one another wearing your gear - I've seen highly coordinated teams fall to pieces once the respirator goes on!

I still have my FM 3-# series and MOPP calculators if you want me to look up any specific recommendations.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Better have a CLEAN shave
Tinman87

Post by Tinman87 »

NBC_LT wrote: September 12th, 2021, 11:38 am Yes - as a former Army NBC officer and certified HAZMAT professional, I can affirm from my training/education/experience that opening filter packs, CBRN drug prophylaxes (Pyridostigmine Bromide) and both barrier as well as charcoal impregnated suits to the air gradually decreases their effectiveness. Wearing them and training with them rapidly decreases their effectiveness. The only piece of gear durable for multi-use/training with real-world is the respirator itself... I am living proof as a graduate of the live warfare agent training facility (way back when it was at Fort McClellan).

Albeit that atropine sulfate can be obtained from online pharmacies, you still need the 2PAM (Pralidoxime) chloride and an anti-convulsant (Diazepam - Controlled Substance) on hand. Not to mention injectors long and thick enough to penetrate through protective clothing to guarantee intramuscular injection (sub-q is not enough).

Hail Hydra above details some good fundamental training, I'd add TALKING/COMMUNICATING/SIGNALS. Get use to talking to one another wearing your gear - I've seen highly coordinated teams fall to pieces once the respirator goes on!

I still have my FM 3-# series and MOPP calculators if you want me to look up any specific recommendations.
I’m going to check and see if I can get the 2pam from a pharmacy in Mexico and see if I can get the FM’s and calculators online.

I’m trying to remember the name of the “pen” they issues me in the infantry. It wasn’t an wou pen, it was for chem exposure. Does that ring any bells with you?
NBC_LT

Post by NBC_LT »

Tinman87-Are you sure the "pen" you are talking about is not an IM-193 radiation dosimeter?
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -173510934

During my service 90-96, the Army did not have a forward deployed individual chemical agent monitoring system, other than the CAM (Small Electron Capture Chromatography Device) system and M-8 alarm system that your 54B chemical enlisted soldier MOS would have at a Company or Troop level. The only individual monitoring device for forward deployed troops was the Chemical Agent Detection Paper.

Thank you for your service in the infantry - Queen of Battle - Follow Me! I only went to Ft. Benning to earn my "5 Jump Chump" status...