Spam as a long storage meat

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
az_ranger74
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Spam as a long storage meat

Post by az_ranger74 »

So been looking around and noticing that keystone and DAK hams have been suggested a lot. I am curious about spam and the different varieties for long term food storage?

Bullzaye

Re: Spam as a long storage meat

Post by Bullzaye »

I have put back some cases of Spam, for long term storage. If I remember correctly, I've read that it's good for an almost indefinite period of time. At the very least, I believe I'd read that it should be good for ten years *past* the printed expiration date.

I had bought my cases at Costco, when it was on sale. But...I've since rediscovered Treet. To me, it tastes better than Spam (though, only one variety to my knowledge, as opposed to all the different varieties and flavors of Spam), and it's usually about $1 less per can than Spam. I buy it at WinCo, where it (Treet) is $1.50 a can.

Another fairly cheap option for storing some canned meat is cocktail wieners. I was getting them at WinCo for about $0.48, I believe. Not as multipurpose or as filling as Spam, but cheap and easy to pick up a couple cans every trip...and more useful as single serve products, than opening a can of Spam for one person.
az_ranger74

Post by az_ranger74 »

Like the Vienna sausages? I was thinking that or deviled ham as well as a good option for my ghb!
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I've never even tried Spam, but I think I'll have to get some and see if I can find a use for it. I'm always looking for new cheap meat products with a long shelf life, and variety is the spice of life.

If you're looking for a long-term meat product for survival, one thing to look into is pemmican. I've made it before. It's a choir to make, but it's worth it for compact shelf-stable calories. If I remember correctly, a pound of it has somewhere between 4000 to 5000 calories.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Spam is essentially forever, and I like the taste, but a lot of people don't.
Bullzaye

Post by Bullzaye »

az_ranger74 wrote: September 1st, 2021, 11:37 pm Like the Vienna sausages? I was thinking that or deviled ham as well as a good option for my ghb!
Yes, Vienna sausages, exactly. I don't know anything about deviled ham, or its longevity.
TheJediknight

Post by TheJediknight »

Flash wrote: September 2nd, 2021, 5:17 am Spam is essentially forever, and I like the taste, but a lot of people don't.
SPAM, Corned Beef, Pickled Stuff, Beef Jerkey

Consider the Sporting Goods Store. The camping section. There are lightweight dried food options. They have NASA food too. Dried Ice Cream. It was expensive though and I forgot to check dates, I ate it right away. :roll:
Old Jeff H
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Old Jeff H »

Bullzaye wrote: September 1st, 2021, 11:27 pm I have put back some cases of Spam, for long term storage. If I remember correctly, I've read that it's good for an almost indefinite period of time. At the very least, I believe I'd read that it should be good for ten years *past* the printed expiration date.

I had bought my cases at Costco, when it was on sale. But...I've since rediscovered Treet. To me, it tastes better than Spam (though, only one variety to my knowledge, as opposed to all the different varieties and flavors of Spam), and it's usually about $1 less per can than Spam. I buy it at WinCo, where it (Treet) is $1.50 a can.

Another fairly cheap option for storing some canned meat is cocktail wieners. I was getting them at WinCo for about $0.48, I believe. Not as multipurpose or as filling as Spam, but cheap and easy to pick up a couple cans every trip...and more useful as single serve products, than opening a can of Spam for one person.
I don't believe I've ever tried Treet, but I will now. Thanks!

Vienna sausages are pretty palatable with a good shaking of Frank's on 'em.
az_ranger74

Post by az_ranger74 »

I thought about buying the Vienna sausages and putting the little mre Tabasco sauce from an mre in with it for added flavor. With the devil ham you definitely need small mustard packs. Think the kind from sonic or something like that. As for the house I think spam will be the way to go. I remember my great grandfather frying it up while we fished. Just never thought of it til lately as a long term meat source.
Old Jeff H

Post by Old Jeff H »

I used to do Tabasco on the Vienna's, but you can really drench them with the Frank's. It's kinda like the 4/$1.00 frozen burritos - put enough salsa on them and they're actually okay. :lol:
az_ranger74

Post by az_ranger74 »

Would the DAK hams be a better or equal alternative to spam? Or are they both pretty high in sodium?
Flash

Post by Flash »

Spam seems to have around 3 times as much sodium as DAK, which might translate into longer shelf life.
az_ranger74

Post by az_ranger74 »

What about taste difference? Is DAK better or all the same? I remember eating it as a kid but I don’t remember what it tastes like. If it’s like the ham slice mre I might pass! 🤮🤮
az_ranger74

Post by az_ranger74 »

Double tap
Flash

Post by Flash »

az_ranger74 wrote: September 4th, 2021, 11:49 am What about taste difference? Is DAK better or all the same? I remember eating it as a kid but I don’t remember what it tastes like. If it’s like the ham slice mre I might pass! 🤮🤮
That all depends on personal taste. I prefer spam personally, but that's just me.

Buy both and try it out. It's not much money.