Economical Long Shelf Life Food - What Do You Like?

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
Old Jeff H
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Economical Long Shelf Life Food - What Do You Like?

Post by Old Jeff H »

I'm wanting to bolster and add variety to my food storage. Curious as to what products appeal to y'all?

One item I found that's unexpected unexpectedly tasty (especially for the price) is the Great Value beef stew from Walmart. MUCH better than the crap the Dinty Moore sells now, and quite a bit cheaper too ($1.82). Best by date is only 2 years, but like everything else I'm sure it would last longer.

I picked up a couple of the Bristol canned hams and I'm going to open one this weekend and try it out. Don't have high expectations, but it has a five-year shelf life.

mtptwo
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Economical Long Shelf Life Food - What Do You Like?

Post by mtptwo »

How long are you planing for? It is very differnt if you are talking a few days, months, or years.

Personally, I go with freeze dried. If stored right, your are talking 6 years with viable nutrition. Cans don't last more than a few years.
iammaxwell

Post by iammaxwell »

A good strategy is just buy extras of what you already eat and make sure you're rotating thru to always eat the oldest. What we found is that more variety actually hinders this because things get hidden/forgotten, or you don't like something quite as much the 4th or 5th time as you did the 1st or 2nd YMMV. We still buy new things to try all them time, but only really stock up on things we use often.
To answer your question more specifically, the Kroger brand stuff at Frys is usually pretty good.
Last edited by iammaxwell on August 28th, 2021, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

Don't forget the Spam.
Electric303

Post by Electric303 »

Old Jeff H wrote: August 27th, 2021, 5:27 pm I'm wanting to bolster and add variety to my food storage. Curious as to what products appeal to y'all?

One item I found that's unexpected unexpectedly tasty (especially for the price) is the Great Value beef stew from Walmart. MUCH better than the crap the Dinty Moore sells now, and quite a bit cheaper too ($1.82). Best by date is only 2 years, but like everything else I'm sure it would last longer.

I picked up a couple of the Bristol canned hams and I'm going to open one this weekend and try it out. Don't have high expectations, but it has a five-year shelf life.
Please give an update on the Bristol canned ham when you try it. I've found that the canned Butterfield diced ham and the DAK canned ham to be little more than Spam.

Keystone 28oz canned meats are actually quite good. I especially like the pork.

If you have a source of water then dried beans, rice, pasta, and noodles are great staples. Salt and seasonings are a necessity. I like to have dried peppers for flavor.

If you're looking for variety you might try walking around the aisles of a local Asian grocery store. They have dried soups that taste much better than Ramen, dried mushrooms, and noodles along with a better variety of seasonings, etc...

I've found that Walmart's Great Value canned veggies have far too much water in the can. Safeway's Signature brand (while a little more expensive) tend to contain more of the veggie you are buying and less water.

I agree about Dinty Moore Stew. Recently ate my first can in years of that stuff and what they make now is crap.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Spam is forever, and so is honey.

But with respect to dates on canned foods, they're guidelines to best taste, not when the food inside will go bad.

When I was in the Army in the late 60s, we were eating C Rations from the early 40s and they tasted and ate fine.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

We were eating c rats that were over 20 years old also.
Old Jeff H

Post by Old Jeff H »

Thanks for the replies, guys.
Electric303 wrote: August 28th, 2021, 11:51 am

Please give an update on the Bristol canned ham when you try it. I've found that the canned Butterfield diced ham and the DAK canned ham to be little more than Spam.

Keystone 28oz canned meats are actually quite good. I especially like the pork.

If you have a source of water then dried beans, rice, pasta, and noodles are great staples. Salt and seasonings are a necessity. I like to have dried peppers for flavor.

If you're looking for variety you might try walking around the aisles of a local Asian grocery store. They have dried soups that taste much better than Ramen, dried mushrooms, and noodles along with a better variety of seasonings, etc...

I've found that Walmart's Great Value canned veggies have far too much water in the can. Safeway's Signature brand (while a little more expensive) tend to contain more of the veggie you are buying and less water.

I agree about Dinty Moore Stew. Recently ate my first can in years of that stuff and what they make now is crap.
Thanks for the info.

I did open the Bristol today. At first I thought it was pretty much SPAM (not that I don't like SPAM, I just already have a ton of it), but it is closer to "real" ham than I thought it was going to be. It's definitely chunked/formed, but good enough that it'd make a decent sandwich or it could be mixed in with a pot of beans. I'd recommend buying one and see what you think.

I did some checking and it looks like the best place to order Keystone might be directly from them. Their shipping is high, but it still works out to be less per can than other online sources that I'm finding. I have no idea how long their shipping time is, but I think I'm going to find out.

Dinty Moore stew used to be pretty darn good, but they changed their recipe (maybe 10 years ago?) and I can't even stand to eat it anymore. The Great Value brand is probably better than the original DM was.
Electric303

Post by Electric303 »

Old Jeff H wrote: August 28th, 2021, 2:16 pm
Thanks for the info.

I did open the Bristol today. At first I thought it was pretty much SPAM (not that I don't like SPAM, I just already have a ton of it), but it is closer to "real" ham than I thought it was going to be. It's definitely chunked/formed, but good enough that it'd make a decent sandwich or it could be mixed in with a pot of beans. I'd recommend buying one and see what you think.

I did some checking and it looks like the best place to order Keystone might be directly from them. Their shipping is high, but it still works out to be less per can than other online sources that I'm finding. I have no idea how long their shipping time is, but I think I'm going to find out.

Dinty Moore stew used to be pretty darn good, but they changed their recipe (maybe 10 years ago?) and I can't even stand to eat it anymore. The Great Value brand is probably better than the original DM was.
Thanks for the info on the Bristol Ham, I'll be sure to add it to my next order.

When they're in stock, best prices I've found for 28oz cans of Keystone meat are from Walmart considering free shipping over $35. These are currently in stock:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Keystone-Hea ... z/10317620

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Keystone-All ... n/22309255

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Keystone-Tur ... z/22309257

I really like their "All Natural Beef" as well but don't see it in stock (you have to check daily). Don't think I've tried their "Ground Beef" yet. This canned salmon is also good:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chicken-of-t ... z/10291691
kptaylor

Post by kptaylor »

Spaghetti and pasta sauce.
Old Jeff H

Post by Old Jeff H »

Definitely can't go wrong with that.

I'm actually a pretty big fan of the Hunt's original.
az_ranger74

Post by az_ranger74 »

Spam and mre cheese can’t go wrong
Old Jeff H

Post by Old Jeff H »

I picked up a can of this to try it out.
50447c5c-e9bd-467b-aaef-137e8ac60837.31c868bc6a25de5a6747e8482c38b099.jpeg
It's probably 50-60% broth (as expected), but the meat is pretty good. If you mixed in a little cornstarch slurry and served it over rice, it'd make a pretty decent meal.
tripletap

Post by tripletap »

along with the standards everyone does im sure, i smoke meat, dehydrate it and vacuum seal/mylar bag seal, also any leftovers too-
it will keep for a long time
Old Jeff H

Post by Old Jeff H »

Where do you get your mylar bags from?