Back packing water filter

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
Desert Rat
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Back packing water filter

Post by Desert Rat »

I am looking at a water filter for hiking and emergency situations.
The top two are the MSR Miniworks and the Katadyn Vario or Hiker Pro.

Has anyone used these? I like the ceramic filter because I think you would be able to clean it more often and possibly get some more life out of it. However, I am not sure if that is true.

Let me know your thoughts. Or any other options.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Back packing water filter

Post by admin »

I use a Sawyer. I have both the standard size and the mini. They are REALLY good and easily worth the money. I have the mini's in each of our family members' 72-hour kits.

Sawyer mini:
Sawyer Squeeze:

Both of these can be cleaned. For most backpackers and outdoorsmen, they are pretty much the standard filters now.
baja

Post by baja »

+1 on the Sawyer a great little filter.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

I have an old Katadyn Mini Ceramic Microfilter that I bought many years ago when I hiked a lot in the canyon country of southern Utah. Its a quality unit that's been a good filter over the years. Its about the same size and appearance as Katadyn's current Hiker Pro.
lew

Post by lew »

I've been using my Miniworks for over a decade. Brutally simple and easy to maintain, even in the field.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

Sawyer filters are hard to beat. The company also does significant work using their filters to give clean water to 3rd world countries if that is a bonus to you.
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

I like some of the smaller Sawyer filters out there, I am looking for a small single person one for hiking and then also something for the family as well.
At least there is a selection out there, either a number of smaller ones or a small one and a larger unit.
Azchilleverde
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Azchilleverde »

I use the Hiker Pro. A buddy uses the Miniworks.

Hike Pro handles sediment better although it only filters up to 200 gallons before needing to replace the filter element. The filter will not crack if is freeze when wet, . Filter elements are not expensive.

The Miniworks has a ceramic element and is field cleanable. Filter element filters a lot more water. Filter elements can crack by impact or freezing unknown to the user and become worthless making you sick. Last year during monsoon season the miniworks kept getting plugged up due to all the sediment in the water and we had to rely on my Hiker pro. He has since wrapped the inlet hose bulb with a piece of nylon panty hose. We'll see is that helps things this year.

Both are good filters. pros and cons to each.
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

The freezing when wet could be an issue in the colder climates. I don't plan on backpacking in the winter, but you never know. Something worth considering.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

I just use the life straw one. I believe that's what it is called.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Ranger1 wrote: August 11th, 2018, 10:44 pm I just use the life straw one. I believe that's what it is called.
There are better filters out there. Plus with a Lifestraw you are limited to drinking from a pool of water with your face almost in it. Hard to do if water is more then a couple inches lower then your access point to it. You are also unable to take any water with you unless you want to contaminate your container.

A Lifestraw kind of makes sense where there are lots of streams, ponds, rivers, etc but not so much in more arid climates (like AZ) where water sources might be few and far between depending on your route. Especially if you are utilizing it in a survival situation.

One of the kind of filters the OP asked about works much better and filters more water, albeit at a higher price point.