What if Texas storm happened in Arizona?

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
AR-15Man
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: What if Texas storm happened in Arizona?

Post by AR-15Man »

This doesn't seem like a very difficult to fix hole in someones preps. Few hundred on an indoor rated propane heater. Buy a few tanks of propane right before a storm. Move all the occupants of the house into one area to conserve heat. Make sure your other bases are covered food, water, snow shovel.

Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

153864339_4074891625878759_4821345125657199536_o.jpg
electrohawk

Post by electrohawk »

AR-15Man wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 5:51 pm This doesn't seem like a very difficult to fix hole in someones preps. Few hundred on an indoor rated propane heater. Buy a few tanks of propane right before a storm. Move all the occupants of the house into one area to conserve heat. Make sure your other bases are covered food, water, snow shovel.
I was actually looking at some indoor propane heaters a while back just for camping and cabin use.
Seems like a good item just to have enough for one room, just in case.
There are a lot of highly rated ones, and being in Arizona, I do not care about the ones that produce humidity as much as a person on the coast.

One thing I was wondering is about expiration. The 20lb tanks are usually 12 year tanks, and propane is not supposed to go bad... from another source:
"Unlike fuel sources that can degrade over time (kerosene, diesel, gasoline), propane fuel has no expiration date, nor will its potency suffer while being stored. The only thing you need to worry about when storing propane is maintaining the health and integrity of the propane storage tank"
But I was not sure if anyone else has experienced that this is true.

I am thinking I would just cycle the propane through the grill, if it really needed to be done. But my grill is dual NG, propane hook up right now. And I normally do not even bother with propane tanks out of laziness of lugging it in for refills, since I have the NG spigot outside my house. But if propane really does not go bad, I do not see an issue storing a couple out in the shed. Most people just keep their tanks under their grill outside anyways...
Flash

Post by Flash »

I once stored a propane tank in the attic area over my garage for around 20 years. When I went to check it, it was empty and I put it up there full.

No obvious signs of deterioration on the tank, but it was empty.

I always keep one spare propane tank outside on the patio but it's only for 6 months at a time and I've had no problems with it.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

The little rubber o-ring seals in the valves eventually deteriorate. Heat makes it speed up a bit.