Slingshots !

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Slingshots !

Post by Boriqua »

Anyone mess with them. I have to admit .. I started recently and like everything else I do I have become committed. It is a TON of fun and with ammo and ammo making components kind of limited its great to have an alternate target shooting activity.

Started out I couldn't hit a 10x7 cardboard box at 7 yds but I am now keeping 2 inch groups.

So .. why the survival forum .. well I dont hunt but watched some videos of guys using them and taking small game. I was skeptical but .. I have to tell you ... I had a ricochet with a stone that bounced off the block wall I had my target on and then hit the wall to my right and then hit me in the forehead and

put a nice sized lump I am still feeling 3 days later. Put a nice third eyeball on my forehead. No doubt you could take birds or other small animals with it.

So anyone else play with them?

Been using small stones but I have some 38 size steel shot and may try molding some lead ball.

AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Slingshots !

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I had a wrist rocket when I was a kid, and that filled a great deal of my free time. Yes, you can hunt with them. I might have shot some birds in the back yard from time to time. It takes a little practice, but it gets to be intuitive after a while.

I just picked up a .177 break barrel air rifle for the kids to shoot since ammo is harder to find these days, and I'm planning to pick up a .22 air rifle as well for them to hunt with. Getting them slingshots hadn't even crossed my mind, but I'll have to add that to the list now.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Amazon has some inexpensive wood ones to use as starters for the kids and some of the Barnett wrist rocket styles can be had under $20. The wooden ones on Amazon are $10.

If your handy you could easily make one out of board stock but you would have to want to do it for the thrill of doing it because it would cost you more in time than $10 but along the way I will make one.

Of course as with all things you can get nuts and there are all sorts of options out there.

Didn't, couldn't play with one as a kid growing up in NYC but I am determined not to leave any bucket list items unchecked!
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Hmmm.. I totally posted right after Alex, now it's gone.

It was almost verbatim to @AZ_Five56 's post.

Break barrel in the yard for pigeons now.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

Hell we have set up a regular gallery range inside my shop. Been shooting a Daisy Red Rider Adult model BB gun, hours of target practice for a couple of dollars. Most of my employees are joining in and competition has started. Have a wrist rocket and break barrel gamo whisper to hunt in the yard with. Even picked up a Colt SAA pellet gun. Super cool totally impractical.. Figure practice is practice, no recoil but sight alignment, breathing etc is the same. The little Daisy adult model is an accurate enough little bb gun at 25 feet. I got the camo model. Good shooting fun for 39.00 plus some BBs
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I love target stuff .. any target stuff .. even playing pool. The ones that require a bit of body discipline are actually pretty relevant to shooting. Next up Archery. Havent done it since college but I loved it and found a place near by that offers a beginner class at an indoor range for $25 so the wife and I are going to try and get in one. She has never done it. Should be fun.

Here is a new slingshot I have inbound

https://simple-shot.com/slingshots/1a1x ... -slingshot

Cheapish fun!
Flash

Post by Flash »

I've had a wrist rocket for 20+ years. Nice to play with, even killed a possum with it once when animal control was on my case.

But my major use was to install wire antennas in tall trees as a Ham Radio Operator.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Flash wrote: February 12th, 2021, 3:37 pm
But my major use was to install wire antennas in tall trees as a Ham Radio Operator.
Man!! I didnt even think about its potential to chuck pull lines!!! Great IDEA!

I have some coax I want to run .. that will work perfectly.
oldslurrydog1

Post by oldslurrydog1 »

Boriqua wrote: February 12th, 2021, 11:24 am Anyone mess with them. I have to admit .. I started recently and like everything else I do I have become committed. It is a TON of fun and with ammo and ammo making components kind of limited its great to have an alternate target shooting activity.

Started out I couldn't hit a 10x7 cardboard box at 7 yds but I am now keeping 2 inch groups.

So .. why the survival forum .. well I dont hunt but watched some videos of guys using them and taking small game. I was skeptical but .. I have to tell you ... I had a ricochet with a stone that bounced off the block wall I had my target on and then hit the wall to my right and then hit me in the forehead and

put a nice sized lump I am still feeling 3 days later. Put a nice third eyeball on my forehead. No doubt you could take birds or other small animals with it.

So anyone else play with them?

Been using small stones but I have some 38 size steel shot and may try molding some lead ball.
Had sling shots and wrist rockets when I was a kid. Was pretty good then at shooting stuff. Ammo was everywhere you looked.
iammaxwell

Post by iammaxwell »

Always had a wrist rocket as a kid. No doubt can be very effective with practice and semi consistent ammo. Mostly used pea gravel from when they would chip seal the streets in the town where I grew up. Just checked the AZGFD regs, and it's even listed as a legal method of take for small game and non-federally regulated birds!
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Wrist Rocket ban forthcoming
fredcdobbs

Post by fredcdobbs »

I have a Simple Shot, the clay ball ammo is great no cleanup and accurate. The clay balls will dent a metal mailbox, and realtor for sale signs. My wife laughs at me when I am in the backyard, slingshot in my back pocket, she says I look like Dennis the menace, all I need is a pair of coveralls.
Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

AP21046414503542.jpg
Attachments
8e153b51a84198d73cc5df90a3a290d7.jpg
8e153b51a84198d73cc5df90a3a290d7.jpg (20.39 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Ok .. so anyone still following along.... Here is my target box. Cost under $10 and I can bring it anywhere. All the ammo hits the tee shirt and falls in the box and the target is the bottom of a coffee can. Wife and I just finished chucking a bunch of rocks at the target. Think I may have to move up to paint can lid but it is a goof!!

Took the wife about 20 pebbles but she managed to nail the target at about 5 yds
IMG_20210220_122938843_HDR_copy_979x1305.jpg
IMG_20210220_122932137_HDR_copy_979x1305.jpg
IMG_20210220_122921111_HDR_copy_979x1305.jpg
oldslurrydog1

Post by oldslurrydog1 »

Oops. Wrong thread again.
Last edited by oldslurrydog1 on March 13th, 2021, 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.