First Aid

Discuss things related to firearm training and tactics.
Pro2a
ArizonaShooting.org Member

First Aid

Post by Pro2a »

I have constantly made the mistake of not being fully prepared when going out to shoot, in terms of a first aid kit, and response to some type of medical trauma.
Does someone have a premade kit specifically relating to the trauma of a gunshot?
I'm also looking into finding a first aid course that would prepare me to handle such an emergency response. A few decades ago, the Boy Scouts said, "just don't use a tourniquet," and now I'm seeing that tourniquet technology and the use thereof have advanced.

TacMedic

Re: First Aid

Post by TacMedic »

Look up up a “stop the bleed” course and you can get an IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit) for relatively inexpensive. All you need there.
ooda

Post by ooda »

I went today to Tactical Medic out in Mesa and picked up a EDC Trauma kit that the owner made for me. Forgive me for not remembering his name. Spent $129.00 tax included. With a tear away pack. Plus Independence Training gives a free training class every 2nd Saturday of the month. I believe it is Dirt medicine class. Store address 4811 E. Julep St. Suite 122 Mesa. Need to call or go online to reserve seat.
OH-MAN

Post by OH-MAN »

ooda wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 8:38 pm I went today to Tactical Medic out in Mesa and picked up a EDC Trauma kit that the owner made for me. Forgive me for not remembering his name. Spent $129.00 tax included. With a tear away pack. Plus Independence Training gives a free training class every 2nd Saturday of the month. I believe it is Dirt medicine class. Store address 4811 E. Julep St. Suite 122 Mesa. Need to call or go online to reserve seat.
Great info!
I cut myself the other day and after moving I could not find a stupid bandaid the right size or even close.
Ended up getting one out of my car. Yeah the one that came with it in 2017.
Good time to get a proper kit.
FireArmTom

Post by FireArmTom »

Shawn at Tactical Medic is the best!
dread_scott

Post by dread_scott »

ooda wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 8:38 pm I went today to Tactical Medic out in Mesa and picked up a EDC Trauma kit that the owner made for me. Forgive me for not remembering his name. Spent $129.00 tax included. With a tear away pack. Plus Independence Training gives a free training class every 2nd Saturday of the month. I believe it is Dirt medicine class. Store address 4811 E. Julep St. Suite 122 Mesa. Need to call or go online to reserve seat.
That would be shawn, can order online as well. They also take hsa cards, i know that helps me.

Independence training does a free stop the bleed class there, with ifak and invasive medicine being a course you have to pay for.

Ryker nylon and redwire gear both make gear to hold your ifaks, plus independence training has some kits on their site too.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

I signed up for stop the bleed as far west as I could find, and then I'll piece together a kit from my bag collection, seems like just a bit cheaper than one already together. It'll be a trauma kit with some band aids for "pussies with cuts."
Pipedoc

Post by Pipedoc »

Pro2a wrote: September 26th, 2020, 11:06 am I signed up for stop the bleed as far west as I could find, and then I'll piece together a kit from my bag collection, seems like just a bit cheaper than one already together. It'll be a trauma kit with some band aids for "pussies with cuts."
Just finished the "stop the bleed " course. We found it informative on many ways to pack wounds including gun shots as well as great presentation of improvised and use of many types of tourniquets. Free classes available
TheJediknight

Post by TheJediknight »

I assemble, make and use IFAK.
Some of the main things are the tourniquets, shears, chest seal, quick clot, and gauze.
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

I get all my gear from North American Rescue.
Good quality gear that isn’t some China rip off, I have a small blow out kit for my combat belt (Roo M-Fak), full kits for each of our vehicles, plus a rather large kit for the home.

https://www.narescue.com/
TheJediknight

Post by TheJediknight »

Gunslinger808 wrote: July 14th, 2021, 3:43 pm I get all my gear from North American Rescue.
Good quality gear that isn’t some China rip off, I have a small blow out kit for my combat belt (Roo M-Fak), full kits for each of our vehicles, plus a rather large kit for the home.

This is good stuff! A lot of my products are here and some I didn't know about!!!!
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

TheJediknight wrote: July 15th, 2021, 3:04 pm
Gunslinger808 wrote: July 14th, 2021, 3:43 pm I get all my gear from North American Rescue.

This is good stuff! A lot of my products are here and some I didn't know about!!!!
North American is no joke, I tend to gravitate towards Mountain Man Medical. I have never compared the two, but I think MMM's quality authentic products might be a bit cheaper. He says he tries to keep this as reasonable as possible to get these things into as many hands as possible. Prolly doesn't hurt the bottom line either, HAHA
Brian is a great dude with combat field experience, and puts out how to videos for many devices.
And some pretty graphic vids too- a recent one was about how the body seizes up (simple version) when you get capped in the head...complete with video of said capping

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIcjqM ... jq06Nq9_ug

https://www.mountainmanmedical.com/
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

Check this one out...Evidently there is an improved Israeli bandage
And I don't hate it

Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

Aaaand this is the one I spoke of, nice and short
Wicked, just wicked

Flash

Post by Flash »

Some information about a Stop The Bleed App: https://www.defense.gov/Explore/News/Ar ... ve-a-life/

Link to the app for iPhone: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/stb/id1336173602