A different plate carrier question.

Discuss things related to firearm training and tactics.
smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

A different plate carrier question.

Post by smithers599 »

I recently bought Interceptor armor with SAPI plates from the Classifieds here.

Apart from ballistic protection, I would like to buy a weighted vest for exercise (CrossFit). I was thinking I could just get a minimal plate carrier and use the ballistic plates I have.

I see the 5.11 plate carrier for sale around $200, and the Condor Spartan plate carrier for <$50. What accounts for the price difference? Is the Condor plate carrier flimsy or held together with Scotch tape or something? Or is the Condor carrier GTG? Or is there some other minimal carrier that will serve me as an exercise vest?

Harrier

Re: A different plate carrier question.

Post by Harrier »

I'm wondering what you are trying to achieve...
By wearing your interceptor battle rattle you get to break it in, weight distribution becomes accustomed to and you can adjust/position items as they need to be for your style. If you get a 'trainer' you do all that to it but when the balloon goes up you will run to the like-new gear and it will be all wrong. I would use what you have until it don't work no more.

BTW, I have both- the stuff issued to me and a condor vest-plate carrier bla bla... I don't see anything wrong with it except the name and actually prefer it to the interceptor.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

What I am trying to accomplish is mobility. The carrier I bought has soft body armor coverage for neck, shoulder, side. The other factor is heat. Summer will be here soon, and I just want to exercise for general fitness.

If the Condor product costs 1/4 the 5.11 product, and is not flimsy, then that is what I will get.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Thanks. Just ordered the Condor carrier.
Now, if I can just get around the track one time without my knees buckling, and do one pullup without pulling my arms out of my shoulder sockets, all will be well.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

A bag of rocks would have been a lot cheaper.... jus' sayin
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Ya run your condor beat it up tear it up use it for training. Save up some money and when you are ready pick up another for mission only. The new one you set up for shooting, keep it clean and ready. Use the condor for physical fitness only.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Well, bummer.
Got the carrier, and the plates don't fit. Plates are too wide at the top. (Or carrier is too narrow at the top.)
Fifty bucks down the drain.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Na. Just put it up for sale. Someone will buy it
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: The Condor will be fine.

Post by Tim McBride »

Jager wrote: March 15th, 2020, 6:50 am But I wouldn't recommend loading it with your SAPI plates. Ceramic is fragile and could be cracked if not handled correctly. Get some inexpensive steel plates and use those. Then you also have a spare set of stop-gap ammo when the corona-virus dead reanimate.
Although ceramic is more fragile than steel plates, in my experience they are way more robust then people give them credit for. I have a set of ESAPIs that have survived a rollover, a baseball bat welding a**hole, and years of two gun. I had them X-Rayed and no cracks were noticed. I know it's not scientific but I find the concern over the fragility of ceramic is bit over done.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Re: Valid point

Post by Elk34 »

Jager wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 12:50 am My statement is couched in that the OP is talking about using the plates for a physical fitness routine. It does not make financial sense to use ceramic plates for that when inexpensive metal plates will do.

I have ESAPI's, also. They are pretty tough. But I have seen them break due to rough handling, being dropped and just generally getting worn around the edges. Not what you want happening if you have money invested in them for their designed purpose.
That's why I said 2 carriers. 1 for training 1 for battle.