Plate carrier question

Discuss things related to firearm training and tactics.
Medjay
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Plate carrier question

Post by Medjay »

look at a lot of carriers from Velocity Systems, Ferro Concepts, Spiritus, Hayley etc. The plate carrier manages the plate (protective) load. These carriers are all equipped with buckles (swift clips) in the chest placard to engage differently configured loadouts and many of them are using zip-off panels on the back to further enable multi-role use. This ensures the operator the same amount of protection across all platforms, is more cost-conscious and only requires the user to purchase differently set up rigs to meet the mission.

Or, pretty much exactly what JAGER said on the first page. Before you got into a really weird pissing contest with him.

N33D
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by N33D »

Do they make plate carriers for girls?
Biggame223

Post by Biggame223 »

There are a lot more "female friendly" armor options out there than there used to be...

Here is one example...

http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/det ... rier-epic/
tlieberman240

Post by tlieberman240 »

Jager wrote: March 13th, 2020, 9:43 am
5.56 Heavy load (14 mags) for SHTF events
5.56 Light load (10 mags) for 'Oh, look, an active shooter showed up'
12 gauge for close proximity and structure environments
Bolt rifle for stand off RSVPs

Lol 10 mags is "light load"? If you've gotten yourself into a situation here stateside where you need 10 mags on you to handle an "active shooter" situation, you severely messed up somewhere. I can't even imagine carrying 14 mags. All the firepower in the world, but no mobility, so probably first to get shot anyways.

I use a Spiritus LV119 with Micro Fight chest rigs. Multiple rigs for different setups between 5.56 rifles and 9mm PCC. Between that and a belt, I run between 6-8 mags total, including 1 in the gun. Plus 2-4 pistol mags. The micro fight rigs attatch directly to the plate carrier and can be switched via the swifclips within 10 seconds.

I can't imagine running any more than that here CONUS. Your mindset is clearly different than mine with regards to creating a loadout, but I'm curious to the real benefits vs the compromises on carrying so much ammo.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

If you don't have a resupply and multiple targets, you will need ammo. Mind you here in the states you can probably pick mags up off the ground for a restock.
Vyadmirer

Post by Vyadmirer »

If you are fighting anyone by yourself that requires 10 mags you better be haulin ass away.

Walking from NYC to LA....10 mags don’t sound so bad.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

So now we know. You think your Rambo. Another gamer with no real world experience. So what is it? Delta, Navy Seal, Army Ranger, Green beret, the company or just a leg? Maybe a troll
mtptwo

Post by mtptwo »

Is it strange to not want to carry anything on your plate carrier? Belt them.
laserguy

Post by laserguy »

WOW guys, cant we all be friends? This thread got really hot fast.
Razai

Post by Razai »

What this thread exemplifies is the very reason why so many people are members but don't contribute much. Few of you have been with AZS for longer than I have, but all of you post more. It isn't that I have nothing to say; it's that every friggin' thread turns into a girl fight thanks to a handful of keyboard commandos who no longer feel virile in the physical world.
tlieberman240

Re: Answering the question.

Post by tlieberman240 »

Jager wrote: April 21st, 2020, 2:22 am You never know what may occur.

In most scenarios at kickoff - you are likely to be alone.

And YOUR mindset has emergency services coming to save the day. That's your bet. As soon as you alluded to CONUS - you walked right into concreting that mindset.

You plan for worst case - or you fail.

My mindset is no-one is showing up.

Personally, I don't like running out of bullets before I run out of bad guys. YMMV.
A lot of assuming going on. I'm simply saying the threats here are not the same as threats elsewhere... right now. Could that change? Sure. Maybe. Who knows.
Jager wrote: April 21st, 2020, 2:22 am My worst case - I live about 35-40 miles from where I work. You get some anarchy going on and burning tire roadblocks, your 6-8 mags are going to get awful precious. Especially if your vehicle is disabled and you have to get out and move on foot. My mission is to get home. And I don't plan to run low or out of ammunition on the way. Think E+E. With roving bands of opportunists.
Fair enough, but I will refer back to my initial comment on benefit vs compromise in having such a large amount of ammo while sacrificing mobility to such a large extent. I mean, if 14 is ok, then why not 20 mags? Why not 30? Obviously, situation dictates, but there's definitely a balance that needs to be identified and determined.
Jager wrote: April 21st, 2020, 2:22 am You "can't imagine...". Well, you're right about that. And you certainly don't know what my considerations are - so critiquing them is a bit ignorant at best. You also mention running. Well, sounds like in that situation - you are the one that 'severely messed up'. With that kind of distance to cover, I'm looking to commandeer a vehicle or have to walk the entire way. And It might take me more than a day, right? But I will be moving cover and concealment to cover and concealment the entire time, not drawing attention. But if I am spotted and targeted, the plan is to convince them to select a softer target.
For somebody claiming to be so thick skinned, your jimmies seem to rustle quickly. There was no real critique. Merely a question and tongue in cheeck statement on benefit vs compromise of sacrificing mobility for firepower... for the 3rd time.
Jager wrote: April 21st, 2020, 2:22 amNOTE: You need to recognize levity as in "Oh, look, an active shooter showed up". But standard walk-around in the military was 7-30 rounders including one in the weapon (You've alluded to that elsewhere). I view that as inadequate. I carried an addition 8-20 rounders to rectify that. And 4-6 additional 30 rounders in my butt pack - If I didn't have to carry 200 linked rounds for the squad M60. And where carrying a single canteen was typical - I carried 2. AND an additional 2 quart on a shoulder sling. Once got dropped off with 5 other guys with the plan to be resupplied once a day in near 100 degree temps. Resupply didn't show up.

For four days.
And walked uphill both ways in the snow, right?
Jager wrote: April 21st, 2020, 2:22 amCarrying 10-30 rounders is only 3 more magazines over pulling guard inside the wire. I apologize if 3 additional magazines spooked you. And while we're sniping, I think an 11.5" barrel pretty pretty much negates the necessary ballistics of the 5.56 round, but that's what you say meets your needs. I know that with issue M193, you're pushing 2700 fps and you're borderline anemic. Pretty much defeats the purpose in my opinion.
Haha there's no "spooking" going on. Again. Appreciate your creeping though. Given my current environment, 11.5" still has plenty of reach and effectiveness. But hey, no assuming, right? I'm all ears on how to setup a firearm too though, while we're at it.
Jager wrote: April 21st, 2020, 6:27 pm That'd be nice, huh?

But some people can't accept a truthful answer to the asked question. They just have to compare it to their choices and try to question, dismiss, denigrate or otherwise show contempt for something outside their personal or often myopic choices. It has to fit their mold or they hope to ridicule or manipulate.

This thread exemplifies that.

I just give it back. They tend to choke on it.
Again, your mindset behind your choice is clearly different than mine. And that's fine. I was curious of your mindset, and you answered; even if it was filled with assumptions and condescending tone.
tlieberman240

Post by tlieberman240 »

Razai wrote: April 21st, 2020, 7:09 pm What this thread exemplifies is the very reason why so many people are members but don't contribute much. Few of you have been with AZS for longer than I have, but all of you post more. It isn't that I have nothing to say; it's that every friggin' thread turns into a girl fight thanks to a handful of keyboard commandos who no longer feel virile in the physical world.
Some definite truth. But it is what it is. Questioning of mindset and methodology should be encouraged. Some may disagree. I can't really comment on some of the other back and forth taking place in here and in other topics... But as some say:

Driving
Shooting
Sex
^3 things all men claim to be good at. Sometimes, the ones who are loudest about these topics tend to be the worst at them.

I'll continue doing what I'm doing and training with the individuals I train with, keeping their expertise and opinions in mind, as well as other experienced individuals I'm lucky enough to come into contact with.
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

I'm going to lock this thread, which should be a productive thread because no one wants to be the adult.

Stop and think