Taser effectiveness

Discuss things related to firearm training and tactics.
Pro2a
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Taser effectiveness

Post by Pro2a »

I always enjoy John’s analysis, as a thinking tool.
Two things here- I’ve been told by those with experience, that tasers have a 50% failure rate, and this clearly shows that.
And does it appear to you also that an officer was shooting to injure???

knockonit

Re: Taser effectiveness

Post by knockonit »

lol, on the 50% failure, as one who has been tazed, i will say, you do not want to be on the 50% side that does work, hehehe.

sounds like there oughta be a group outting to tase me land. ''TASEME BRO, TASEME BRO. lol
Rj
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I've been the voluntary demo victim of a taser 3 times...it worked 100% of the time. However, I could feel a difference in the effectiveness depending on how far apart the probes were, and where they hit on my body. The first experience they were taped to my skin directly, on my back, top right and bottom left. I was able to walk 2 steps before collapsing. 2nd and 3rd times I was shot with the probes, close and far distance. The furthest I was able to walk was 5 steps, but I think that was because of my forward momentum when I was shot. If one of the probes don't get embedded into the skin fully, it doesn't work very well.

I'll take a taser over pepper spray any time...the taser turns off instantly, pepper spray does not.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

QuietM4 wrote: March 8th, 2019, 9:25 am I've been the voluntary demo victim of a taser 3 times...it worked 100% of the time. However, I could feel a difference in the effectiveness depending on how far apart the probes were, and where they hit on my body.

I'll take a taser over pepper spray any time...the taser turns off instantly, pepper spray does not.
I see what you're saying, Ive been told by someone experienced, that you hook up the torso, then put the unit into the lower leg, and there's a lot more effect when traveling that far. If conditions permit of course.
Hansen

Post by Hansen »

Really it depends on the person, I have seen them work well and not work at all. The person mental state has a lot to do with it too. I deal with these on a daily basis, I would NOT carry or own one. The things are finicky too.
Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

I agree with Hansen, while I would prefer to not hurt someone I would not put my family's safety in the trust of one. And on pepper spray, oc10, feels like the devil pooped on your face

The problem with drive stun which pro2 is mentioning is maintaining contact with a non compliant subject
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

And pepper spray is the gift that keeps on giving. Every time the sprayed area gets moist it will reactivate the spray and burn again, sometimes for 2 or 3 days depending on how good they decontaminate.

One down side, with all less lethal options, is having to go hands on at some point. With pepper spray you have a very good chance of cross contamination. That chances goes up exponentially if you have to still force submition with physical force. Oc effects non moist skin much more significantly than CS i.e. it will inflict burning to dry skin like arms.

No less lethal option is effective on everyone all the time. Even some non impaired mentally sound folks shake it off. People need to be prepared for that.
harleypower69

Post by harleypower69 »

I actually have grown to love my ASP baton for those places I can't travel with a firearm i.e. overseas these days.