Magazine training

Discuss things related to firearm training and tactics.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Magazine training

Post by Ranger1 »

Who here works on magazine change outs with red ,yellow,green in mind.

Desert Rat
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Magazine training

Post by Desert Rat »

OK, forgive the dumb question, but, what do you mean by red, yellow, green?
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Ok you start shooting ,green mag is unfired . You get to a door or cover you change out mags no matter what to start with a fresh mag again. That mag you just took out is now yellow. You don't know what's in it but you know it's not empty. Everytime you leave from cover or you are out of harm's way for a second you switch to a green mag ( new mag). When you get to a point that a team member needs a mag you yell out yellow mag when you pass it to him. When you get to a point where you can consolidate ammo you pull out your mags from your dump pouch and make green mags again and put the red mags ( empty) back into your dump pouch .
Berd

Post by Berd »

Well I for one certainly don't, as I don't breach buildings for a living.

Doesn't sound like a bad system if it applies to you though.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

For a mag that might be used in SHTF, I just keep 3 tracers as the last ones in the mag- when i see them streaking i know its time to reload. Otherwise i haven't had the need to practice any urban advance - duck & cover skills.
Sounds like fun for the mind and could be useful during 3-gun...
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Fighting your way to cover and once there you change to a green mag and then fight your way to another forward cover keeps you from changing mags out in the open as much as possible.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Sounds like a good tactic for running a known course of fire in competition.

However in a real fire fight which it sounds like you are practicing for (actually sounds more like an assault of a position then a defensive action as you speak of moving forward) having lots of mags with no idea how many rounds are in them is a very good way to find yourself out of ammo at a VERY inopportune time when the targets are shooting back at you.

As another poster mentioned, simply stick 3 tracers in each mag and when you see two go out, change mags and you know there is still one in the chamber.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

That's just stupid for what I'm doing. So you are in the open you see tracer and no cover while changing out a mag. That means for 2 to 3 seconds you are vulnerable. Only stupid non knowing idiots would do that to them selves. It figures I would get that here.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Then i guess you shoulda checked your mag before making the dash into the open and now you gotta run faster...

Changing mags behind cover before running to the next station might be ideal but in practice, many sports such as in IDPA and IPSC,the mag change is often done while on the run...to save time- I imagine it would be in 3-gun too, so anyone involved in those sports would pretty much develop that technique/mindset.
If your in a situation where your trying to fire on the run to your next cover, then I would take a second to check the mag (or use window mags) before exposing yourself.

The tracers are the 'oh sh*t' indicator...Steve made a good point about keeping a loaded chamber, I forgot that my last round is actually after the 3 tracers for that very purpose.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Ranger1 wrote: August 8th, 2018, 6:08 am That's just stupid for what I'm doing. So you are in the open you see tracer and no cover while changing out a mag. That means for 2 to 3 seconds you are vulnerable. Only stupid non knowing idiots would do that to them selves. It figures I would get that here.
Yep you got me just a "stupid non-knowing idiot" here...

17+ years in the Marines 77-95 (medical discharge)
2/5, 2/9, HQ5th, 3/8, 2/1, 1/4, 3rd LAR
2 years in JSOC
7 deployments
Lebanon
Somalia
Combat Action Ribbon
Gold Jump Wings

So please enlighten us plebes, what exactly are "you doing"? From what you posted you appear to be training for combat assaults yet seem to be a civilian. You also seem to think that you have to stop moving because your mag is empty or that the "enemy(?)" somehow won't know you are there firing at them until that tracer goes out.

I will let you in on a little secret, having rounds in your weapon is not some magic shield that will keep you from getting shot. Plenty of people get shot as-they-are-firing-their-weapon, so you are ALWAYS vulnerable...full mag or not. And even starting with a fresh mag there is still the chance you will run dry before you get to the next bit of cover. So you better practice changing mags at other times then just parked behind cover. The only time it really becomes critical is if you are face to face with an enemy when your weapon runs dry. But then that's why the Marines gave us hand-to-hand-combat training.

Also as part of a team (you mention), some of you should be laying down suppressive fire as the others are moving to cover and then switch roles, repeat as necessary.

So what are you...SWAT...beat cop....mall cop (Gexko45 is that you)...contractor...Mad Max prepper? You obviously aren't in VIP Protection as their mission is to break contact not assault the attackers.

Were you ever military?
Viper 1-26 INF

Post by Viper 1-26 INF »

Steve_In_29 wrote: August 8th, 2018, 11:19 am
Ranger1 wrote: August 8th, 2018, 6:08 am That's just stupid for what I'm doing. So you are in the open you see tracer and no cover while changing out a mag. That means for 2 to 3 seconds you are vulnerable. Only stupid non knowing idiots would do that to them selves. It figures I would get that here.
Yep you got me just a "stupid non-knowing idiot" here...

17+ years in the Marines 77-95 (medical discharge)
2/5, 2/9, HQ5th, 3/8, 2/1, 1/4, 3rd LAR
2 years in JSOC
7 deployments
Lebanon
Somalia
Combat Action Ribbon
Gold Jump Wings

So please enlighten us plebes, what exactly are "you doing"? From what you posted you appear to be training for combat assaults yet seem to be a civilian. You also seem to think that you have to stop moving because your mag is empty or that the "enemy(?)" somehow won't know you are there firing at them until that tracer goes out.

I will let you in on a little secret, having rounds in your weapon is not some magic shield that will keep you from getting shot. Plenty of people get shot as-they-are-firing-their-weapon, so you are ALWAYS vulnerable...full mag or not. And even starting with a fresh mag there is still the chance you will run dry before you get to the next bit of cover. So you better practice changing mags at other times then just parked behind cover. The only time it really becomes critical is if you are face to face with an enemy when your weapon runs dry. But then that's why the Marines gave us hand-to-hand-combat training.

Also as part of a team (you mention), some of you should be laying down suppressive fire as the others are moving to cover and then switch roles, repeat as necessary.

So what are you...SWAT...beat cop....mall cop (Gexko45 is that you)...contractor...Mad Max prepper? You obviously aren't in VIP Protection as their mission is to break contact not assault the attackers.

Were you ever military?
:clap:
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Yup like I said. Stupid fuc%ing idiot. Before you go running that mouth of your talking sh%t ti others you really need to know just who you are talking to.
Im not one of your Monday morning coffee buddies.But you just can't comprehend that can you Marine. Think about. I don't need to put up my I love me wall to show everybody what I use to do to feel good about myself.
I'm far from being a civilian. Been trained in offensive and defensive fighting. I have no problem in teaching people how to be the aggressor. Just the way I was programmed that's all.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Ranger1 wrote: August 8th, 2018, 1:58 pm Yup like I said. Stupid fuc%ing idiot. Before you go running that mouth of your talking sh%t ti others you really need to know just who you are talking to.
Im not one of your Monday morning coffee buddies.But you just can't comprehend that can you Marine. Think about. I don't need to put up my I love me wall to show everybody what I use to do to feel good about myself.
I'm far from being a civilian. Been trained in offensive and defensive fighting. I have no problem in teaching people how to be the aggressor. Just the way I was programmed that's all.
Yet you provide neither a simple yes or no to the question. Just a vague answer that could be taken either way but not get you called a liar on for giving. Without providing any way for me to learn, "just who it is I am talking to" that you claim is so important.

And your postings show a real lack of training.

So you were trained by who?

As to my I love me wall as you called it, what I posted had nothing to do with feeling good about myself. Since you attacked me for being an idiot who knew nothing, I put up the applicable part of my history to show my experience wasn't based on playing COD while living in my parents basement calling my mommy to bring me more Tostitos and MtDew.

As I mentioned before, your posting style is the same as a strange little man over on AKFiles who was perma-banned under multiple screen names. Full of big talk and insults while providing zero info as to his experiences.

For others, googling "Gecko45" will give you a good laugh.
redj

Post by redj »

Well he did say he had a Ranger hand book in his go-bag.
Maybe he actually read it.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

That's good. In the beginning I did work for the Army then I left. Who I was trained by, you will never know. What I was trained in, you think its unsafe. I tell you what I want to, and leave some things out on purpose. When everyone else is taking cover from in bound, I'm standing up looking for the shooter smoking my cigar or cigarette, sometimes where Plate or Dragon skin sometimes I could care less. Sometimes when we would go out, I wouldn't plan on coming back. I asked a simple question about who trains in this to see if there are any others out there like me. I have found out, no there are not. All I get from you guys is what I expected to get. Old SOP's from the Marines and Army, hell even new SOP's just get you killed. To give you a hint about who train me and who I train with. I would walk into a chow hall with a hot weapon. Walk up pass everyone in line at the cow hall get my food with a lit cigarette in my mouth and go sit down with my team smoking until my hearts content. Officer walks by doesn't say sh$t about me smoking in the chow hall or my hot weapon. I 'm out side I don't solute or even care about officers. The only person I listen to is my team leader. Hell I smoke on a c130, c141, c17,c5, it doesn't matter. The first person, no matter what their rank is, that says something to me I say FU. That's if my team leader doesn't do it first.. That's my back ground. Now I can be a civilized pri#k or I can be a full blow A hole Pri^k it doesn't matter to me. Stupid questions get stupid answers. I have tried to stay civilized here on this forum even though I have a fan base from others trying to railroad me to a ban..