Ohio Announces Armed-Teacher Training Standards

Discuss things related to firearm training and tactics.
pneuby
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Ohio Announces Armed-Teacher Training Standards

Post by pneuby »

....from a blog I subscribe to...

Ohio’s new training standards for educators to carry concealed firearms at school include instruction in de-escalation techniques, “neutralization” of potential active shooters, and trauma and first-aid care, among other things, Gov. Mike DeWine’s office announced Monday. The standards were developed by the Ohio School Safety Center, part of the Ohio Department of Public Safety, after DeWine signed House Bill 99 last summer. The law dramatically lowers the number of training hours needed for K-12 school personnel in Ohio to carry firearms on the job from more than 700 hours to 24 hours. HB99 also requires at least eight hours of continuing training each year. The new standards for school staff to start carrying a firearm include:

A combined 15 hours of instruction in fundamentals and marksmanship, tactical live fire, response tactics, realistic urban training, and threat neutralization

Four hours of scenario-based training

A 2-hour course of fire

Getting every question correct on a one-hour written test

15 minutes of study each in eight subjects: mitigation techniques; communications capabilities and techniques; legal and safety accountability; how students/staff meet back up after an active threat; psychology of critical incidents; de-escalation and crisis intervention; trauma and first aid; and defining terms such as a “mass shooting” and a “threat assessment team”

After the clearing the initial bar, annual continuing training standards include:

A total of four hours of scenario-based training, fundamentals and marksmanship, tactical live fire, response tactics, realistic urban training, and threat neutralization

Two hours of training from the 24-hour training curriculum

Scoring a 100% on a one-hour written test

A one-hour course of fire

School districts also are allowed to create their own alternative training curricula if the Ohio School Safety Center approves them. Each school district will decide whether their employees should get the required training through a local firearms training provider or by the state. The Ohio Department of Public Safety has hired 16 mobile training officers around the state to instruct school staff, among other responsibilities, according to ODPS spokesman Jay Carey... (One advantage of school personnel doing at least some of their training with local agencies is that doing so could make it easier for officers to recognize them in a response.)

https://www.police1.com/school-safety/a ... GcSAkJ9TK/

XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Ohio Announces Armed-Teacher Training Standards

Post by XJThrottle »

The written test will likely weed most of them out.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

There is no way this could go wrong.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

While I feel a teacher should have the right to go armed if they want to I just gotta wonder .. are they the best option for defense of students. As a last ditch sure but when I see BILLIONS going to Ukraine, billions going to South Africa so they give up coal, billions spent on the influx of border crossers, billions on climate change nonsense disguised as the anti inflation bill .. well .. I just think we had the money to put armed guards or actual Police officers in charge of protection.

Were I a teacher .. I would want to carry on school grounds but .. if its an attempt to make things safer I think there are better options if we hadnt spent tons of money on $hit.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Boriqua wrote: December 15th, 2022, 9:30 am While I feel a teacher should have the right to go armed if they want to I just gotta wonder .. are they the best option for defense of students. As a last ditch sure but when I see BILLIONS going to Ukraine, billions going to South Africa so they give up coal, billions spent on the influx of border crossers, billions on climate change nonsense disguised as the anti inflation bill .. well .. I just think we had the money to put armed guards or actual Police officers in charge of protection.

Were I a teacher .. I would want to carry on school grounds but .. if its an attempt to make things safer I think there are better options if we hadnt spent tons of money on $hit.
Yea, we've seen how that has worked out at Stoneman Douglas High School and in Uvalde Texas, right???

Maybe hire the parents to patrol would be a better idea.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Razai

Post by Razai »

I have been a teacher for 13 years and have advocated for this for almost as long. They don’t arm or offer to arm just anyone. It’s volunteers only, and then the screening begins. No, it is not ideal, but I want to do more than play a human shield for my students.
Cops at school is not a budget issue; it’s a political one. Libs don’t like the optics, so SRO positions (at least in Phx) were mostly eliminated.
I told a visiting district lady never to speak to me again about how much safety matters to the district until she was willing to consider arming the few of us willing and able to carry. She left in a bad mood, and that district still refuses to consider arming the staff.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Libs do not want the schools protected, they have worked to hard to make sure they were set up as kill zones, so they could further their agenda.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Razai wrote: December 15th, 2022, 5:15 pm I have been a teacher for 13 years ....
I told a visiting district lady never to speak to me again ... until she was willing to consider arming the few of us willing and able to carry.
So, that whole 'tenure' thing is really true? :mrgreen: :dance:
Razai

Post by Razai »

No. She fortunately didn’t have any real authority.
Jay Gee

Post by Jay Gee »

First off I love this, I assume it's voluntary and wonder how many teachers are for or against it. I'm all for it. I also think that if they treated school security like courtroom security it wouldn't be necessary.
Razai

Post by Razai »

I worked at a school with 110 staff members. Two of us volunteered. Obviously, nothing came of it, but that is a pretty accurate idea of how few armed teachers a typical big-city school might have.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

I'm a fan of the idea - provided that the training and qualification process is appropriately rigorous, and standards ensure that the firearms are properly protected / managed around the students. I'd think that for the right teachers, getting some paid firearms training and qualification rounds to shoot on some interval would be a nice bonus.

I'm also a fan of spending our tax dollars hiring law-enforcement or appropriately trained private security contractors (emphasis on former military folks who get ongoing training etc. ) to defend our kids. I'd agree with at least one other previous poster - take the billions of dollars that we are sending overseas, and use it to protect our kids. More appropriately - reduce the federal tax burden, and increase state and local tax burden to provide locally appropriate levels of security in the schools.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

BigNate wrote: January 11th, 2023, 5:00 pm I'm a fan of the idea - provided that the training and qualification process is appropriately rigorous, and standards ensure that the firearms are properly protected / managed around the students. I'd think that for the right teachers, getting some paid firearms training and qualification rounds to shoot on some interval would be a nice bonus.

I'm also a fan of spending our tax dollars hiring law-enforcement or appropriately trained private security contractors (emphasis on former military folks who get ongoing training etc. ) to defend our kids. I'd agree with at least one other previous poster - take the billions of dollars that we are sending overseas, and use it to protect our kids. More appropriately - reduce the federal tax burden, and increase state and local tax burden to provide locally appropriate levels of security in the schools.
I don't want police in schools, they have qualified immunity and no reason to save anyone's life other than their own. Two schools were shot up with cops waiting outside, so, no cops.

Clyde
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

kenpoprofessor wrote: January 11th, 2023, 6:20 pm
BigNate wrote: January 11th, 2023, 5:00 pm I'm a fan of the idea - provided that the training and qualification process is appropriately rigorous, and standards ensure that the firearms are properly protected / managed around the students. I'd think that for the right teachers, getting some paid firearms training and qualification rounds to shoot on some interval would be a nice bonus.

I don't want police in schools, they have qualified immunity and no reason to save anyone's life other than their own. Two schools were shot up with cops waiting outside, so, no cops.

Clyde
Yea but you cant count on citizen saviors either. Everyone thinks they know how they will react/act when the SHTF but until bullets are whizzing not to many people know for sure. Teachers have more skin in the game since they would be under direct attack but ... I WANT to believe that leadership was what failed in the two incidents you are citing and there are still brave men who join the force and are willing to do what they have too to protect lives. I could be wrong but police act heroically all over the country on a regular basis. I wouldnt discount them and would prefer our money go to better training especially on the leadership end than continue to spend money on other countries. America First.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

@kenpoprofessor - I actually would like to better understand why you don't want cops in schools? If it is just that you have a very negative view of all law enforcement, I guess I'm not going to do much here to change that. I'll tell you that my view is very different.

I can tell you with certainty that every cop I know chose the profession, at least in part, because they have a desire to protect people from the evil side of society. I get that these two highly publicized events showed SOME cops at their worst. The Stoneman Douglas resource officer appears to have been a coward - and the police chief on scene at Uvalde was either a coward or an idiot - as he seemed to apply "barricade situation" tactics to an active shooter situation. Based on the accounts that I've read about Uvalde, cops around him wanted to push in - and he ordered them to stand down. If that is the case - that one is squarely on him.

For each of those two - you can find countless instances of a cop running TOWARDS gunfire to protect the innocent. Painting all LEO with the Uvalde / Stonman Douglass brush is unfair and inaccurate - and saying that we should not have cops in schools because there were two failures is like saying that seatbelts are useless because sometimes people die in a car crash despite wearing a seatbelt. That position ignores the reality that thousands of lives are saved every year by wearing seatbelts.

I know many cops, and I like to think that the ones that I know would have run towards the gunfire and not away from it. I thought I was pissed about Uvalde (when the reports started to become public) - the LEO friend that I spoke with about this one (and years ago re the Florida shooting) was LIVID. Uvalde was a failure of leadership and training. The chief was on scene giving orders that were directly contrary to best practice for an active shooter situation. He proved himself either an idiot or a coward or both.

So - baby and bath water... Whether armed teachers, armed private security, or armed commissioned law enforcement - having armed people in place in schools is going to be only as good as:
1) Their training
2) Their orders
3) Their courage

Rather than excluding one large and generally qualified chunk - we should focus on ensuring that we train well, provide clear and direct orders, and select people who show a propensity to have the courage to do the necessary thing when the stuff hits the fan.

My 2 cents.