Hammer time

Discuss things related to firearm training and tactics.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Hammer time

Post by Boriqua »

Another range day and a few of my favorite hammer fired guns! Wait .. all I own are hammer fired guns! :mrgreen:

The Sp101 is my wifes gun but she lets me play with it. She shot it well today. The only gun missing from the photo is her SR22 which she also shot well and is also hammer fired.

The Sig 229 and I have a thing going on. It has a few rounds through it and is the gun I used when going out once a week with a board member to run all sorts of drills in the desert. Have a fair amount of trigger time on that gun and its still my baby. I have shot it from cover from the ground after running .. yea me and the sig have bonded. It is the softest 40 cal I have ever shot and has the benefit of a TFO front sight which is WONDERFUL!

My HK is only about 400 rounds in and I havent run any higher speed drills with it so we are still in the honeymoon phase and getting to learn one another. Fits my hand a bit better than my 229 but my 229 trigger is silk and the HK, like some dog breeds, needs a firm hand. It wont tolerate slow bullseye style trigger pulls but is dead nuts accurate when you lay the dot on what you want to shot and give a firm straight through quickish pull. The wall is a firm break and wont tolerate anything but a firm decisive trigger pull.

I always finish up range visits with some tighter controlled accuracy stuff and here is 50 rounds spread between the Sig and the HK at about 8 yds. Both in my caliber of choice .. 40S&W
IMG_20221027_093120543.jpg
IMG_20221027_094354377.jpg
Poor guy next to me was hitting 50% in the white, off the target at 7 yds. Felt like I could maybe give him some pointers and he was probably in his 50's so might accept input but .. Meh .. I am just a recreational shooter who carries for Self defense and NO instructor and no great shot so kept my mouth shut. Still .. seemed like a waste of ammo but perhaps he had fun anyway.

Has anyone ever offered advice to someone at the range? How was it received?

XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Hammer time

Post by XJThrottle »

When my then girlfriend was wanting to get into shooting I told her she needed to take an introductory pistol course at C2 first. (I maybe dumb, but I'm not that dumb..lol..) But, I told her Iwould attend with her, "date night". Part of it was introducing yourself and how long you've been shooting. 95% of the class had never fired, only fired on one occasion. The instructor didn't really call on me much after that..

When we got to the range portion of the class he was spread a bit thin, so I helped with any questions the others in the group had. With his permission, of course.

Granted, this was different that offering, but it was all well taken.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

When I first moved out here almost 20 yrs ago the place that hired me found me a nice condo to stay in in Scottsdale. I was maybe 10 minutes from Scottsdale Gun club so soon after moving in I went over.

Now there really isnt a gun culture back in NYC and I went with some buddies to a club they belonged to but it was a basement with maybe 7 bays.

When I started going to SGC ... try not to laugh .. I was shooting tea cup. Its how I was taught to shoot back in the time of the dinosaur . I was making good hits but would have suffered with follow up shots had I ever tried but for straight up bullseye type stuff .. I was pretty good.

The RO's then were great, friendly and informative. One came up to me and kind of gave me a ribbing and told me how to properly grip a gun. I got other advice from other RO's there and it did greatly improve my comfort level with carrying a gun. I had carried but never practiced anything but bullseye type shooting and their tidbits really went a long way.

Kind of felt bad for the guy in the lane next to me. Now the RO's at least at teds just monitor everyone through cameras and dont really interact and I am sure just a few pointers might have set that guy on the right path. Didnt want to seem like a dik though so I kept my mouth shut.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

learning curve for everything, spend the morning re educating the dragonlady on double taps with her new carry, seems she changed up her grip and couldn't be consistant on her shots, took a few rounds but finally at close yardage, she could put two in the 5 inch spot, so am happy with result, not gonna take her out at least once a week till she can do it at 50 yds, she was shooting a 9mm compact, switched her up to her old .45 micro carry and boomba, she was pasting those suckers, shes alway shot the old round well, but whined about weight, so, here we are, oh and yeah, wants to put a red dot on her carry now, go figure, so.........hehehe, new gat in the future.
rj
zonie77

Post by zonie77 »

I have but only after talking to them about their gun, never start by saying they can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside unless they are a good friend! LOL
zonie77

Post by zonie77 »

I have but only after talking to them about their gun, never start by saying they can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside unless they are a good friend! LOL
thom

Post by thom »

I asking they have viewed or tell new shooters that they should watch Jerry Miculeks from about 8 years ago on YouTube. Titled "How to Shoot like Jerry" or something like that after I see them wondering how that pistol bit them with their high grip on the pistol grip.