What do you do to stay sharp with your Concealed piece

Discuss things related to firearm training and tactics.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

What do you do to stay sharp with your Concealed piece

Post by Boriqua »

I only get to the range about twice a month. Unlike some ranges Teds will let me draw from the holster even though I only do it during the week when they are empty. Otherwise in all honesty popping holes in paper has limited training value at this stage of my shooting life. Fun though.

I augment my range visits with a daily exercise. I bought one of those cheap laser trainers from Amazon for each of my calibers and have a post it note on my bedroom door. My hallway is about 7 yds so I practice my draw from cover about 20-30 times from cover Appendix carry with a tee on and I practice about 20-30 times draw from 3-4 oclock with a button up shirt on and either an OWB holster or IWB. Sometimes I will practice in a mirror using myself as a target and seeing my blatant fails.

I'm pretty religious about it. I figure if I can find time to lift weights 3 times a week and do some aerobic activity 3 times a week I can find 15-20 minutes to practice getting at my firearm.

What do you do and what Might I add to keep it interesting?

SupportTheSecond

Re: What do you do to stay sharp with your Concealed piece

Post by SupportTheSecond »

I practice drawing with an empty and safe weapon. Have a Mantis Academy laser system that makes dry fire actually fun to do and we both use that. Try to keep my muscle memory active with those regular activities.
Kingjoey

Post by Kingjoey »

Go down to South Phoenix after dark and you can get plenty of practice πŸ˜†
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Kingjoey wrote: ↑October 21st, 2022, 4:49 pm Go down to South Phoenix after dark and you can get plenty of practice πŸ˜†
I grew up in housing projects in East NY. When I got to the service they were kind of amazed how fast I could dive off the road when I heard gun shots during training ... Lots o Practice .. lots of Practice. :mrgreen:
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Kingjoey wrote: ↑October 21st, 2022, 4:49 pm Go down to South Phoenix after dark and you can get plenty of practice πŸ˜†
South Phoenix isn't what you think it is. What you're looking for is on the westside.
Kingjoey

Post by Kingjoey »

XJThrottle wrote: ↑October 21st, 2022, 7:29 pm
South Phoenix isn't what you think it is. What you're looking for is on the westside.
I lived on the west side for five years and would have to agree with you. Having three gun-related incidents inside a month finally convinced me that I had enough quick-draw practice and it was time to move to Casa Grande to take advanced studies in governmental corruption, long gun quick-draw, and field maneuvers πŸ˜†
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

I am in south Phoenix at least twice a week at the range and drive home after dark. My only issue with the drive home is the crazy homeless fkucs on 7th ave that like to jaywalk or jump in front of cars stopped for a light. 19th ave north never a issue.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

338lapua wrote: ↑October 22nd, 2022, 12:00 pm
I am in south Phoenix at least twice a week at the range and drive home after dark. My only issue with the drive home is the crazy homeless fkucs on 7th ave that like to jaywalk or jump in front of cars stopped for a light. 19th ave north never a issue.
Yep, Avnenewws..
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Run around the house and do some dry fire exercises, wife thinks I’m nuts
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

xerts1191 wrote: ↑October 22nd, 2022, 4:15 pm Run around the house and do some dry fire exercises, wife thinks I’m nuts
Were I going to do that ... I would opt to be nude!! :dance:

Nothing like a 59 yr old running around nude with a gun to get the house all to yourself!! :mrgreen:
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Shooting/marksmanship is only a small part of the equation. The most important part is mental conditioning, the ability to shift from calmness to fighting mode instantly.

I have instructed my man, Kato, to attack me at random times, when I least expect it. Helps keep me on my toes.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

smithers599 wrote: ↑October 22nd, 2022, 7:21 pm
I have instructed my man, Kato, to attack me at random times, when I least expect it. Helps keep me on my toes.
Dude your OLD! Unfortunately i got the reference so ... Damnit .. I must be old too. :mrgreen:
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

E401D22F-DA05-4838-B14B-750D99502293.jpeg