Trigger Speed? Why and how we can increase it

Discuss things related to firearm training and tactics.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Trigger Speed? Why and how we can increase it

Post by Ranger1 »

Type II Muscle Fibers--"twitch muscle fibers"

Type II b muscle fibers have the fastest-contractile speed, the largest cross-sectional area, the lowest oxidation capacity, and the highest glycolytic capacity. They are ideally suited for short fast bursts of power. These muscle fibers are used in such activities as sprinting, power lifting, and bodybuilding. Type II a muscle fibers are intermediate and their properties lie between type I and type II b.

The Principle of Use/Disuse

The Principle of Use/Disuse implies that you "use it or lose it." This simply means that your muscles hypertrophy with use and atrophy with disuse. It is important to find a balance between stress and rest. There must be periods of low intensity between periods of high intensity to allow for recovery.

The Principle of Specificity

The Specificity Principle simply states that training must go from highly general training to highly specific training. The principle of Specificity also implies that to become better at a particular exercise or skill, you must perform that exercise or skill. To be a good cyclist, you must cycle. The point to take away is that a runner should train by running and a swimmer should train by swimming.

The training must be specific not only to your sport, but to your individual abilities (tolerance to training stress, recoverability, outside obligations, etc). You must increase the training loads over time (allowing some workouts to be less intense than others) and you must train often enough not only to keep a detraining effect from happening, but to also force an adaptation.
__________________________________________________ __________

That's the technical side of the answer, now here is my program for developing my fast "Type11b" muscles.

Particular attention to trigger finger speed by shooting out of control [ fast ] for 100 rds or so [ past my limits ], then backing off just a fraction to regain the control.

Repeated many times, eventually the speed increased [ the twitch muscles moving faster ] with good hits. That's what worked for me. Shooting beyond any control, not looking for hits, but pure speed on the trigger [ like an exercise ], and then after the finger got used to that speed, backing off a fraction to regain control and there you have it.

Pretty simple, and I came to it by just mucking with speed and seeing results back some 25 years ago. I've been able to get 5 rds per second with combat accuracy without much effort with practicing the drill above. That's a round every .20 seconds on threat. I've done 5 rds a second with a glock 5.5# standard trigger as well as my 1911's with a 4# trigger with less distance to reset it. I usually average between 4-5 rds a second, with splits averaging .21-.22 seconds between shots.

Any members here ever really pushed their hits per second and see just how fast they can get with combat accuracy or looked at the science behind why we are capable of such scientifically?

Jack Dupp
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Trigger Speed? Why and how we can increase it

Post by Jack Dupp »

When I bought a used shot timer, I screwed around with speed. Yanking the trigger on a 9mm pistol as fast as I can with no real concern for accuracy, I averaged around .18-.19 splits, with occasional 2 or 3 round bursts in the .15-.16 range. Hitting a 12"x12" steel target at 10 yards, I can do it at around .22 sec splits.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

I played with going from riding the reset to going to completely off the trigger and a full pull every time, I am way faster on the full pull every time. I only carry pistols with light triggers usually in the 1-3 pound range with a very short engagement and break, the resets are almost nothing.

A friend bought a Johnny Glocks competition trigger that breaks under a pound and he is scared of it so I bought him a Vogel and traded, I love the non existent rear travel and reset of this trigger, I can go under .15 with it pretty consistent. The fastest I ever shot was a revolver where I did 8 in 1.2 seconds on target at 7 yards, funny thing was it had full weight springs.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I can't recall the times but back in the 80's I was shooting IPSC weekly with a modified 1911 38.Super (still have it). Those times sound pretty realistic once your in the groove. Full power loads make it a lot tougher to do.
I couldn't do it now without a lot of practice (unless I was using a .22 heh heh) but I think i will try my XD just to see how rusty I really am. Might be scary... now where did I put the shot timer....
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

The 8 shots was with a S&W 327JM revolver with a titanium cylinder. I am slower with a auto loader.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

I have practiced pulling the trigger out of control before then slowing down just a little but still faster than I normally shoot and I have definitely improved my trigger speed.
Vyadmirer

Post by Vyadmirer »

Yeah when I try to go fast I mash the ever living hell out of the trigger and it’s not good.