How often do you shoot, how many rounds per session?

Discuss things related to firearm training and tactics.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

How often do you shoot, how many rounds per session?

Post by Ranger1 »

Jan. to May I usually shoot around 2k of 9mm per week. From June to Sept I don't shoot at all because of the heat. Then I pick up the pace again and start back in to 1k to 2k per week.

How often do you find yourself at the range, what are you shooting, how many rds normally in one session, multiple guns at each outing?

Jack Dupp
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: How often do you shoot, how many rounds per session?

Post by Jack Dupp »

That's a lot of shooting! I'm a piker by comparison!

Before I got into speed/steel shooting a few years ago, I'd only shoot a couple thousand (combined rifle/pistol/shotgun) rounds a year max. Now I shoot about 4000 rounds of 9mm a year alone.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

It's a good thing to find a cheap source of 9mm ammo
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

As soon as I put 6 in a row, where I want them to go, I am done for the day. I am not a strong proponent of thinking that, a 100 in a row where I want them to go, makes me more better ;), just more bored.

Which makes for an early day, most of the time.

And since I have my own 33 yd pistol range, and 200 yd rifle range, being done isn't followed by a long drive home, just a couple minute walk to the reload room to put everything up, and a short walk to my lazy-boy and a Black Butte Porter.

;)
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

shooter444 wrote: July 20th, 2018, 5:19 pm As soon as I put 6 in a row, where I want them to go, I am done for the day. I am not a strong proponent of thinking that, a 100 in a row where I want them to go, makes me more better ;), just more bored.

Which makes for an early day, most of the time.

And since I have my own 33 yd pistol range, and 200 yd rifle range, being done isn't followed by a long drive home, just a couple minute walk to the reload room to put everything up, and a short walk to my lazy-boy and a Black Butte Porter.

;)
Must be nice! Can we be buddies? 8-)
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Back in Indiana all I had to do was open up the back door and shoot out to the back 40. Here in Phoenix I can't do that.
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Unfortunately I have not had the time lately, I would try to hit a match every other month or so. That would mean a couple hundred rounds each time.
azmp5

Post by azmp5 »

Depends what I'm doing. Like you OP, I only shoot in cooler times. Usually mid Oct is when I'll be out and even then its mostly pistol stuff. Once it cools down it's a mix of rifle or pistol. Or both (depending on the rifle). Ill be at the range atleast once a week. Then once it starts getting to damn hot, may-june, I stop. Our summers is when I reload what I shot and make more.

As far as your question, since I went off course, if I'm shooting pistol only ull being about 4-500 rounds. Depending on the drill or practice I'm doing. Rifle *223* only ull bring a 30 caliber can worth and go through what ever I go through, but usually 500. If I bring both them usually a few 100 pistol brass in the 30 call can and then however many 223 in stripper clips that fit on top of them. If it's a precision rifle then usually I dont bring more than 100. Mostly cause its whatever i recently made and whatever I'm doing and the distance. That being said I got the Hi-Power bug late last season. Built the rifle and did workup loads. I'd prob go through 3-400 55gr rounds for the 100/200 yard stuff and maybe 100-200 for 500 yards (furthest I can go at the time). From Feb-may I got real "bad" and would go reg shooting 1 day and hi-power practice shooting another day. Needless to say I have ALOT of 223 I gotta reload.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

I shoot one to 3 times a week. Monday it is 75-150 head and chest shots each with my two practice carry guns, actual carry guns are shot first with 17 rounds each to confirm there are no issues with the RMR's and set aside. I have multiples of every gun I carry set up exactly alike and they take the abuse so my carry guns don't have to. I also shoot my M-9, usually a mag or two, this is the gun I shoot the best with iron sights so I shoot it the least. My hands go numb before I am done

Usually Wednesday or every other I shoot multiple steel and paper targets and transition from pistol to long gun and do about 500 rounds on my land year around. One of sets the layout and a couple guys help set up. We also have 3D rubber targets in the mix, I will do a run through the targets with each practice carry pistol, AR-15, as well as my MP-5 or Colt 6450. There are usually targets from 3 to 50 so rifle and pistol are both used.

Usually Friday I will go into my shop during the day and work on the draw at my indoor range I use for ammo testing. I will usually draw from concealment on a timer from 15-75 times.

Once a month or so we do entries in our shoot houses, some live fire some simunitions. We do force on force, these shoots are only Simunitions. We also train to defend from home invasions, this is a lot of fun but you get shot a lot. Next month we will shoot would be invaders through front entry doors with aid of video systems. We learn to integrate technology like security systems and video and practice eliminating threats through walls with rifles and shotguns.

I try to do vehicle exits as well as shooting from inside a vehicle at outside threats during the once monthly session as well. We always have one scenario set up with force on force in front of us as well as in back, we may do this as a team. Shooting through our windshields as well as through others windshields at targets is done as well. I also work my protection dogs with firearms monthly using live rounds, blanks and Simunition rounds, they aint afraid of anything.

We bring in top instructors from around the country and have them run private classes for us so we can learn what others know. Our last two instructors were on red dot sights on pistols. Situational awareness training is one of the things I really enjoy, my life has never been the same since learning this. I invite the wives of the guys I shoot with so they are less likely to piss and moan about it and even their kids get training, most have learned to love it. I pay for all of it so I know we will have enough people to make it work right. My employees shoot with us are given extra perks and bonuses so they always show up, usually with their family. We really need 20+ to have a good event.

Only thing that slows me down is my arthritis/knees and I avoid rolling around on the ground most days. I really would like to do 1-2 K per week but my hands wont allow it and my skills are no sharper at 2K rounds than they are at 1K rounds as long as I keep this schedule, if I miss a few weeks or a month I notice the difference.

I have simplified over the years. Now I shoot Glock 34's or M&P's as my carry guns both with optics with a M-9 as my last resort house gun, I carry nothing else for a pistol. I only carry full size models but may add a 19X with a optic and a light trigger. I am at the point where I realize how stupid it was to train with 20 different guns in 10 different calibers, you will never be proficient, pick a platform and master it. I shoot 9mm exclusively. No more mixed calibers and no more manly 45 that is partially to blame for the nerve damage in my hands.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

That's quite an impressive regime, you must have some sort of executive protection service or govt contracting or other hi-level situation going for you.

I've been working with my rifles from a bench cuz my knees don't work 'zactly like they used to.
I'm down to a couple to three times a month all day sessions (200-250 each), as long as the wind/weather cooperates.
AZGEEZER

Post by AZGEEZER »

I hardly shoot anymore, just the local things like coyotes and the birds, occassionaly the squirells. Just getting things on a tight budget isn't as easy as you might think. Shot shells I'll go thru 2-300yr while the handguns might see half that.

Even though I cast even the gas checks add to the cost, the moulds on some there's no gas checks which helps.

I'm so tight I squeek when I walk.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Harrier wrote: July 23rd, 2018, 6:10 am That's quite an impressive regime, you must have some sort of executive protection service or govt contracting or other hi-level situation going for you.

I've been working with my rifles from a bench cuz my knees don't work 'zactly like they used to.
I'm down to a couple to three times a month all day sessions (200-250 each), as long as the wind/weather cooperates.

Did security for a transportation company for a few years, we carried dangerous and high value cargo, that is where I got a lot of my firearms training. Made some contacts that are still paying off for me.

Former partner in a air charter service. Sometimes we had to provide security. Sometimes we just had a really unhappy passenger. Spent almost 2 years at one time out of the US doing charter flights. I recently sold my interest in this company.

These days it is because I have the place to do it and I can afford it so why not. Another upside is the force on force where you get to use a real gun and shoot someone and you don't get in trouble for it.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

While living here in 29 Palms my buddy and I hit the range every Sat (unless it's pouring rain). We vary between pistol (7 -25yds), rifle (50-500yds), shotguns (skeet and tact work) and .22s (25-50yds). Prior to Sandy Hook we would shoot several hundred rounds apiece but cut back when ammo dried up. We still went every Sat, just shot less each time.

After I retired 3yrs ago, my wife and I would often hit the range during the week as well. She would shoot a bit and then pick up all the brass laying around (I helped as well). I hadn't realized how much we had collected until as part of getting the final move to AZ in order I turned most of it in for scrap...1,296 pounds of it at $1.83 lb. $$ :D

We aren't fully moved and I haven't established a regimen at our place in AZ yet. Just doing some plinking off my porch when we are out here so far. My neighbor and I are looking to build a range on his property soon though.
Hansen

Post by Hansen »

It depends on what I am doing, varies from 35 rounds to 100 plus. I go out almost every weekend.
Hansen

Post by Hansen »

I dry-fire at least twice a week on top of my live fire time too.