instinctive/point shooting

Discuss things related to firearm training and tactics.
A_C Guy
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: instinctive/point shooting

Post by A_C Guy »

Ranger1 wrote: August 6th, 2018, 3:24 pm Back to my original question. Who trains in this type of shooting?
If you are looking for someone to train you or train with you, then buy a pair of airsoft pistols. I'll meet up with you or take your favorite shooting buddy out and just do it. You don't need to go to the range, any open area will work.
As shown in the video, it is not nearly as hard as most people think.

Quick draw shooters do it and they are quite accurate and proficient at it.

A_C Guy

Post by A_C Guy »

This whole argument from the naysayers is foolish.
There are many youtube videos of shooters point shooting accurately and faster than anyone can draw, get a sight picture and then shoot.
A_C Guy

Post by A_C Guy »

At 2:22, he says that he was having so much fun watching the target fall, that he forgot to look at his sights while shooting.

That is instinctive, point shooting shooting from a world record shooter.

I think that settles the arguments for the naysayers
delta6

Post by delta6 »

A_C Guy wrote: August 20th, 2018, 4:41 pm
At 2:22, he says that he was having so much fun watching the target fall, that he forgot to look at his sights while shooting.

Yep...that sure does.....and I guess that also means if you have a private pilots license... you can fly with/like the Blue Angels... yep...for the naysayers :clap:
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Oh...I forgot....
stupidity.jpg
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

A_C Guy ....Ranger1 alias??

Even if not though, you just linked to three shooters who spend COUNTLESS hours and THOUSANDS of rounds a month honing their skills and present them as examples of why point shooting is easy??
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

A_C Guy ....Ranger1 alias??

Even if not though, you just linked to three shooters who spend COUNTLESS hours and THOUSANDS of rounds a month honing their skills and present them as examples of why point shooting is easy??
Berd

Post by Berd »

delta6 wrote: August 20th, 2018, 4:53 pm
A_C Guy wrote: August 20th, 2018, 4:41 pm

Yep...that sure does.....and I guess that also means if you have a private pilots license... you can fly with/like the Blue Angels... yep...for the naysayers :clap:
:lol:
A_C Guy

Post by A_C Guy »

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

I find it humorous that so many refuse to even try it and yet they claim that it is so hard and not realistically practical.

Steve, before jumping to the wrong conclusion or assumption of me being R-1 or visa versa, check the history of our accounts. I was a sponsor of the original AzS board going back 10 years or more. Literally, over a 100 members have met me and I have serviced at least 100 member's A/C systems.
Unfortunately, there has been a real decline on the quality of the posts and information on this forum relative to posts of years past. Too many keyboard warriors... Too many personal attacks instead of open discussions of ideas. Apparently, the identity politics and personal attacks aren't limited just to the snow flakes of the left.
A_C Guy

Post by A_C Guy »

Steve_In_29 wrote: August 21st, 2018, 8:35 pmEven if not though, you just linked to three shooters who spend COUNTLESS hours and THOUSANDS of rounds a month honing their skills and present them as examples of why point shooting is easy??
Rule #1
If you are going to have a debate, get your facts straight. Nothing destroys your own credibility like the inability to accurately count to 2. I linked videos of TWO shooters, not 3. Learn to count.

Rule #2 Practice makes perfect. On the previous forum AzS, there were many discussions about practice, practice, practice. Why do people like you own a gun and not practice? Anyone that practices shooting as little as a box per week, can and will be sufficiently accurate enough to instict shoot a moving target at 15 feet.

Hang up your keyboard for a day and go shoot a box of ammo.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Hey, A_C Guy,

I was watching Gun TV last night and one of the segments was about the Cowboy Fast Draw Assocation's Championship shoot. Guys doing a fast draw, cocking and firing single actions and shooting from the hip at 24" targets at 5 yards. Times were going from around 0.300 seconds to 0.500 seconds. Only hits counted. The timer started when a light went on and stopped when the wax bullet impacted the target.

Pretty good example of point shooting. I was in a fast draw club when I was a kid and it was actually pretty easy to make hits, reducing the time was harder. I still do it from time to time to keep my hand in, but I use a semiauto these days and it's even faster as there's no hammer to cock.

With respect to shooting moving objects, it's no problem at all. If you look at the speed most people are moving when they're "shooting on the move", then think about the distance and do the math, you'll find that at most you might need a 3" lead and that translates to slightly more than the width of your front sight on your handgun.

I shoot Sporting Clays on a weekly basis and yes, a moving target is hard to hit but only if it's around 40 yards away, moving at around 45 miles per hour and traveling perpendicular to where you're standing. Otherwise they're easy.
Biggame223
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Biggame223 »

Did it in Tucson with Robin Brown well over a decade ago, it opened my mind a bit. While point shooting is no substitute to using ones sights, it is something that can be effective and get hits on the target as one shoots TO their sights.