instinctive/point shooting

Discuss things related to firearm training and tactics.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

instinctive/point shooting

Post by Ranger1 »

Who here trains in this?

Flash
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: instinctive/point shooting

Post by Flash »

If you're referring to instructors, I haven't a clue.

If you're asking which of us do this, I'll be the first to say I do. Started doing it in the Army.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

my old hunting pard, stevo, used to get in some sound shooting, i'm thinking maybe this would be on the same level, maybe, kinda instinctive isn't it.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

my old hunting pard, stevo, used to get in some sound shooting, i'm thinking maybe this would be on the same level, maybe, kinda instinctive isn't it.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Very similar to what the fast draw aficionados do.

Pretty much totally instinctive, but much easier to do that you'd think. Sorta like pointing your finger, but pointing the gun instead.
A_C Guy

Post by A_C Guy »

I have done it many times with an air soft pistol. I trained my boys with it as well. The beauty of the air soft is that you can do it anyway (even in your living room) and the trigger pull is hard and rough so it forces you to properly maintain your grip while only using the index finger muscles to pull the trigger. It's great for breaking someone's bad habit of jerking the trigger or pushing the gun.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

I do it frequently in a couple ways. I will do it with rubber targets from within a couple feet and practice body shots as I back out and transition to head shots, I do not aim I just point. We do this in force on force with modified guns firing Simunitions, this is usually done at one of our monthly shoots as we are walking through people all suited up and one will grab a person and the person will have to draw and fire on them. We have done drills where there is a attacker front and back and we will have to engage the front target and turn them with us to engage the rear target on the turn. Also shot the rear target without looking and then the front, you can get good at shooting behind you pretty quick.

If you are going to do it for real you need to get with someone who knows what the eff they are doing and can follow the safety rules and protocols. There is no better training than Simunitions along with force on force, It makes it real and takes away the hesitation that may get you killed in real life as you shoot real people in this training.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I suppose I could call it limited practice... as I don't do it as an intentional practice session.
Often while I'm walking downrange to check my targets (my range- no one else there) I will (impromptu) draw and fire on random targets I have setup along the way.
When in the house I've been known to use a pistol with a laser and as i break around a corner I think- doorknob or light-switch and point the empty gun/laser from the the hip to the object I selected. This works well in a dimly lit room. with practice, pretty soon you will be on target.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

338lupua you didn't work for Bullet proof security in Scottsdale did you?
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Ranger1 wrote: July 27th, 2018, 4:01 pm 338lupua you didn't work for Bullet proof security in Scottsdale did you?
Didn't work for them, seen their armored vehicles at SGC before though. Guess they encounter more domestic IED's than we do.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Here is Brenna training in the Fairbairn and Sykes point shooting

She has been shooting at this point for 4 months. That's it.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Delta 6 . Do you know Rob Leatham? I do and he is wrong. Just because he might be a front sight press king like Jeff Cooper, its his opinion that is wrong with a shooting style that he hates. Have you tried point shooting Delta 6??
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

heheh, yep, i suspect he does, one of the finest pistoleros i've ever shot with, and well, lets say i've shot with a few of the good ones, hehehe, silly argument over silly crap.
jmo
Rj
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

knockonit wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 7:14 am heheh, yep, i suspect he does, one of the finest pistoleros i've ever shot with, and well, lets say i've shot with a few of the good ones, hehehe, silly discussion over silly crap.
jmo
Rj