Thinking about becoming a NRA pistol instructor

Discuss things related to firearm training and tactics.
thom
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Thinking about becoming a NRA pistol instructor

Post by thom »

I have been thinking about it for awhile. Got to much time on my hands right now. Does anyone teach the courses needed in the east valley. I live near IKEA.

Thanks
Thom

G34

Re: Thinking about becoming a NRA pistol instructor

Post by G34 »

i have the NRA rifle pistol shotgun and RSO instructor certs. to anyone untrained itll give you a foot to stand on for creds. If thats your sole teaching experience it does next to nothing for you.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

thom wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 9:35 am I have been thinking about it for awhile. Got to much time on my hands right now. Does anyone teach the courses needed in the east valley. I live near IKEA.

Thanks
Thom
Why? The NRA is actively against us in most cases going to court, they stand for themselves, not their members. Vampires, just like unions.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
thom

Post by thom »

Why? The NRA is actively against us in most cases going to court, they stand for themselves, not their members. Vampires, just like unions.

Clyde
[/quote]

I thought they were the only agency that has classes for instructions. What do you suggest then, Clyde?

Thanks,
Thom
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

thom wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 2:41 pm

I thought they were the only agency that has classes for instructions. What do you suggest then, Clyde?

Thanks,
Thom

USCCA and SAFTA

Clyde
thom

Post by thom »

Google says Safta is in Sacramento.
Thanks
Last edited by thom on June 22nd, 2022, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

thom wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 4:47 pm Google says Santa is in Sacramento.
Thanks
You asked for alternatives, you didn't specify where they were :mrgreen: Phuck the NRA, they crap, they've been crap, why anyone supports them is a mystery.

Clyde
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Like the NRA or don't (and these days I don't) their instructor certifications seem to be the ones accepted for things like being a range master at a private range at Ben Avery, or for opening the door to doing some types of instruction. I coached football at the highschool level for years and had some conversations with admins about establishing a shooting club there - NRA instructor and RSO stamps were what they determined would be needed. I've actually considered getting these for that purpose as one of my pipe dreams is to be mostly retired but go back to coaching football but to also bring shooting sports teams back into a school. If I find that USCCA and SAFTA offer certifications that the school would accept in allowing me to start such a program, I'd certainly rather give them my money that give it to the NRA - but my sense is that at this point, for that purpose, they are really the only game in town - and if paying one of their instructors to get certified means I can get highschool kids shooting... well... I'd bite the bullet and get their certs...

I'll be interested in hearing what you find in terms of classes - and how you like them.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

BigNate wrote: June 28th, 2022, 4:02 pm Like the NRA or don't (and these days I don't) their instructor certifications seem to be the ones accepted for things like being a range master at a private range at Ben Avery, or for opening the door to doing some types of instruction. I coached football at the highschool level for years and had some conversations with admins about establishing a shooting club there - NRA instructor and RSO stamps were what they determined would be needed. I've actually considered getting these for that purpose as one of my pipe dreams is to be mostly retired but go back to coaching football but to also bring shooting sports teams back into a school.

I'll be interested in hearing what you find in terms of classes - and how you like them.
Good point BigNate.. Some guys here just don't know, what they don't know.

Little story: I am a certified NRA Training counselor/RSO. Have been for well over 20 years. I retired from part time outside DOD/DOS contractor training on the M240/249 in late 2019. During the 15 or so years, I did that training, I met a lot of vets, but never gave one of them an NRA Training course. In early 2021, I was contacted by one of the guys I trained, 10 years previous, and he asked me if I would conduct a NRA Instructor course for him and 13 other folks. I initially declined, but somehow got talked into it. So, the guys show up for the first day of classroom; 10 Navy SEALs, 3 Marine Recon guys and one AF Pararescue guy. I was surprised to say the least. It was supposed to be a 2 day class, but we had a great 5 days.

So, there is the story and here is the reason. These guys all work for a gentleman who started up a training company that appears to be quite successful. He got a contract to teach in a state/states back east. One of the requirements of that contract was their instructors needed to have a NRA instructor certificate. They probably will never ever hold an NRA training class, but they have the cert that opened the door for them.

Like you said: "Like the NRA or don't ...... their instructor certifications seem to be the ones accepted for things..."
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Thanks @delta6 - great info - and it sounds like it would have been a really cool week to be a fly on the wall :-)
TheJediknight

Post by TheJediknight »

i was going to take those NRA classes when i was an ro at rio

those were the ones to take to get accepted for stuff

all is not as it seems with that group.....

but we are talking about classes which comes down to curriculum, instructor, and price and nothing else
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

It has been a long time since I took the course, but I recall it was excellent. It was not about pistol-shooting; it was about the science of teaching (pedagogy). It was a course on how to teach stuff, using pistol marksmanship as the example, but the same principles can be applied to teaching auto mechanics or Spanish or chemistry.
I recommend it highly.
Hansen

Post by Hansen »

BigNate wrote: June 28th, 2022, 4:02 pm Like the NRA or don't (and these days I don't) their instructor certifications seem to be the ones accepted for things like being a range master at a private range at Ben Avery, or for opening the door to doing some types of instruction.
Regardless of how you feel about the NRA, they carry weight at most ranges if you plan to teach out of a formal range.

I have the USCCA stuff as well, no one will accept them. Pretty much a waste of money some what to get them. USCCA is NOT recognized in most places.
Joelafives

Post by Joelafives »

Did so in 2010 - I wouldn't recommend the classes I took from the instructor that I took them from but I don't regret taking the classes, if that makes sense. The good news is that guy isn't doing it anymore.