Does Vegas PD train for this?

Discuss things related to firearm training and tactics.
338lapua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Does Vegas PD train for this?

Post by 338lapua »

Rolling shootout down Vegas street ending up with suspect hitting school building. Officer shooting through windshield with both hands off steering wheel, through open window with a awesome mag change at the end. Glad this doesn't happen every day.

https://www.wric.com/news/national/2-ki ... 1306761689

QuietM4

Re: Does Vegas PD train for this?

Post by QuietM4 »

So many cringe worth moments in that video...

I did like that he rolled down the window before shooting...over pressure can hurt.
Sweet thumb wrapping around the rear of the grip. And of course, the backwards magazine change at the end. Finger on the trigger the entire time...

I would be very surprised if he doesn't at least get officially reprimanded for this...firing through his windshield is fine (and awesome) but in the middle of the street in a neighborhood while driving? Who knows where those rounds will end up?
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

The look no hands while shooting was awesome as well. That was messed up to say the least. Glad no bystanders were hurt.
Basher

Post by Basher »

Someone on Facebook shared this and I called the officer out on the mag change (I avoided other comments regarding the no-hands during a high-speed chase and the discharge of a firearm through a windshield at a moving vehicle in a business/reaidential area). A few people jumped on me saying I couldn't possibly know anything about it because I've never shot at another human being.

My stance is that the officer needs training on weapons handling. A mag change, performed correctly, would have saved valuable time and put the officer at less risk. A proper mag change can also be ingrained into muscle memory, something I pointed out that this officer lacked. It seems that, because I've never been on a two-way range, I can't possibly know what I'm talking about... :roll:
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

While there are many things to criticize, they got the job done and no innocent people injured.
thom

Post by thom »

I saw this on fox 10 last night. I was curious about the right handed shooting out of the left window. But he did get the job done.
deanq

Post by deanq »

AZ1 wrote: July 17th, 2018, 8:57 pm While there are many things to criticize, they got the job done and no innocent people injured.
Him not shooting an innocent was pure luck. There are two kinds of Luck; Good Luck & Bad Luck. He happened to have Good Luck that day. The next time could be Bad Luck...for him and someone else! JMHO.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

I am just trying to imagine the training:
"No, no! Wrap your thumb around the back of pistol! And stop wasting your time looking at the sights. You have 17-rounds in the 'clip' so just point in the general direction and yank the trigger as fast as you can. There, isn't that better?"
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

It's unclear if he even hit the guy...is that why he crashed into the building? Did one of the rounds hit a tire? I'd really love to read the report this guy has to write.

Clearly the officer was justified in shooting back, but better judgement should have be exercised. I think this video will be used quite often in future training seminars.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Basher wrote: July 17th, 2018, 4:26 pm Someone on Facebook shared this and I called the officer out on the mag change (I avoided other comments regarding the no-hands during a high-speed chase and the discharge of a firearm through a windshield at a moving vehicle in a business/reaidential area). A few people jumped on me saying I couldn't possibly know anything about it because I've never shot at another human being.

My stance is that the officer needs training on weapons handling. A mag change, performed correctly, would have saved valuable time and put the officer at less risk. A proper mag change can also be ingrained into muscle memory, something I pointed out that this officer lacked. It seems that, because I've never been on a two-way range, I can't possibly know what I'm talking about... :roll:
I don't ever remember trying to seat a magazine backwards and I have shot under stress and got it right, even when I dropped one and picked it up it got turned so it went in. One thing we can all probably agree on is that he was on a major adrenaline dump.