USArmy sniper course entrance exam

Discuss things related to firearm training and tactics.
smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

USArmy sniper course entrance exam

Post by smithers599 »

This event consists of firing an M4 Carbine with iron sights at 25 meters. We shoot the Army's standard M4 zero targets and we require that the impacts are within 4 centimeters.
Before you stand the bags of 15 students who failed grouping. The one event at the USASC that delivers the largest number of failures is 25-meter grouping. This event consists of firing an M4 Carbine with iron sights at 25 meters. We shoot the Army’s standard M4 zero target and we require that the impacts are within 4 centimeters [6 MOA, which is the minimum Army standard all Soldiers are supposed to be able to pass, including new recruits during Initial Entry Training.

Do not take this as the USASC poking fun, but rather as a teaching point. Units spend a lot of money and resources to send soldiers to this course. We want to graduate 100% of our students as we believe and know that snipers are force multipliers. Please take the time to ensure you or your soldiers can meet a course prerequisite.

The 39 students who did successfully complete grouping have our fullest attention. We can also include doctrinal updates, curriculum updates and re-writes, force modernization, equipment procurement for tomorrow’s sniper, equipment testing, international sniper competition, and general soldier tasks. The soldiers used their Assault packs instead of a sandbag which is why there are notable statements highlighted in TC 3-22.9.

We presented a fact that the biggest discriminator at the USASC is 25-meter grouping. For those who don’t know, soldiers will shoot, retrain if needed, then shoot again. We do not run a selection course as we firmly believe that units have already selected the soldiers attending the course. We provide a service for the Army as snipers can help shape the battlefield. The army is vastly understrength with qualified snipers and we are far from “badge protecting.”

At one point we identified that the force was struggling so bad with the M4, that we provided an M4 PMI, took students through the EST2000, then performed attempt 1, retrain, attempt 2. The number of drops was still 25-30%, meaning no change.
The USASC does not need to disclose any of this information but for the betterment of the Soldier attending. We will share data points where difficulties commonly occur."
These are not people who have been trained as snipers. These are people who have been sent by their units to be trained as snipers. But first they have to pass the "entrance exam" -- a maximum 1.6-inch group at 25 yards, shooting from prone using a backpack as a rest. Apparently, an awful lot of them (15 out of 54) can't do that.

kenpoprofessor

Re: USArmy sniper course entrance exam

Post by kenpoprofessor »

smithers599 wrote: January 24th, 2022, 6:11 pm

These are not people who have been trained as snipers. These are people who have been sent by their units to be trained as snipers. But first they have to pass the "entrance exam" -- a maximum 1.6-inch group at 25 yards, shooting from prone using a backpack as a rest. Apparently, an awful lot of them (15 out of 54) can't do that.
I would bet you'd get a similar attrition rate from the folks here :o

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
G34

Post by G34 »

Unfortunately military guys are usually terrible marksman. Even snipers have a very basic understanding
baja

Post by baja »

Wow, I thought minute of pie plate was sniper grade.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Think of the equipment they are using. We build guns with the best triggers, match barrels, and shoot match grade ammo.

They are using well used M4 rifles with milspec triggers and general use ammo that most likely cannot hold 2 moa. I'd bet that if one of those factors was changed (barrel, trigger, ammo) the fail rate would decrease dramatically.

With good equipment, a 1.6 group @ 25 meters is pretty easy to do. If I built an AR that couldn't group 1.5" at 100 meters, I'd start over.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

QuietM4 wrote: January 25th, 2022, 4:31 am Think of the equipment they are using. We build guns with the best triggers, match barrels, and shoot match grade ammo.

They are using well used M4 rifles with milspec triggers and general use ammo that most likely cannot hold 2 moa. I'd bet that if one of those factors was changed (barrel, trigger, ammo) the fail rate would decrease dramatically.

With good equipment, a 1.6 group @ 25 meters is pretty easy to do. If I built an AR that couldn't group 1.5" at 100 meters, I'd start over.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-army ... les-2021-3

Yes, they've used the old stuff. That being said, you should see what they have access to.

Clyde
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I’m well aware of what they have access to, but that’s not what the FB post was discussing.
hairygreek

Post by hairygreek »

Unacceptable...
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

QuietM4 wrote: January 25th, 2022, 4:31 am Think of the equipment they are using. We build guns with the best triggers, match barrels, and shoot match grade ammo.

In the article, they noted that they tried to rule out equipment issues by substituting the fancy gear, but still got the same failure rate. Also note that 1.6 inches at 25 yards translates to 6.4 inches at 100 yards -- six minutes of angle.
The letter is an appeal to unit commanders to be more selective about who they send for sniper training. IOW, "Please test them first to see if they can shoot 6 MOA. If they can't, don't send them."
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

kenpoprofessor wrote: January 24th, 2022, 6:32 pm
smithers599 wrote: January 24th, 2022, 6:11 pm

I would bet you'd get a similar attrition rate from the folks here :o

Clyde
62yv8p.jpg
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

smithers599 wrote: January 27th, 2022, 4:48 pm
Me, me, and me. :D