Two classes w/ John Correia of Active Self Protection this month -- Home Defense Shotgun (1/8), Women's Seminar (1/28)

Discuss things related to firearm training and tactics.
AJS214
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Two classes w/ John Correia of Active Self Protection this month -- Home Defense Shotgun (1/8), Women's Seminar (1/28)

Post by AJS214 »

Hi guys, it's been quite a busy Christmas and New Year, so I just noticed these myself. I wish I knew about them sooner so I would have been able to help get the word out sooner.

I'm crossposting this to/from the azguns subreddit btw.

The shotgun class is this Saturday 8a-5p at Cowtown, through C2 Tactical.
https://c2tactical.com/courses/guest-instructors/
This one day class is set up to give you an advance look at using your shotgun for home defense.

Private Citizen Home Defense Shotgun prepares a home defender to properly utilize a shotgun in defense of home and family in evidence-based ways. We will focus our efforts on the skills most necessary to prevail in home defense using a pump-action or semi-automatic shotgun. We will consider recoil mitigation and proper push-pull technique, accuracy standards, running the gun with speed, proper loading techniques, proper choice of defensive ammunition, patterning, and defending against single and multiple attackers.
Price is $250.

The women's class will be on the last Friday evening of this month, at C3 Christian Community Center.
https://activeselfprotection.com/shop/w ... s-arizona/
Join us for our women’s self defense class taught by John Correia.

Friday January 28, 2022 from 7-9:00 pm.

It will be held at Christian Community Center 14202 N 73rd Avenue Peoria, AZ 85381
Price appears to be $25 for either single ticket or a mother/daughter ticket.

smithers599

Re: Two classes w/ John Correia of Active Self Protection this month -- Home Defense Shotgun (1/8), Women's Seminar (1/2

Post by smithers599 »

Man, I wish I could go, but I have a schedule conflict.
I hope somebody from this board will go, take good notes, and give us a summary.
kenpoprofessor

Re: Two classes w/ John Correia of Active Self Protection this month -- Home Defense Shotgun (1/8), Women's Seminar (1/2

Post by kenpoprofessor »

LOL, I have to laugh.

Dunning/Kruger would be proud to see their legacy at work, gullibility run wild.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Basher

Post by Basher »

kenpoprofessor wrote: January 7th, 2022, 9:20 am LOL, I have to laugh.

Dunning/Kruger would be proud to see their legacy at work, gullibility run wild.

Clyde
What part of the OP’s info is this in reference to?
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Basher wrote: January 7th, 2022, 12:07 pm

Ever heard the phrase: Selling the smell and sizzle, not the steak. ???

Clyde
Basher

Post by Basher »

kenpoprofessor wrote: January 7th, 2022, 12:10 pm

Clyde
No. Elaborate for me.

Edit: I understand the phrase. I’m just curious what specific issue you’re seeing. Do you feel ASP’s training is sub-par, all fluff, wrong entirely? Just curious what your specific issue is.
WhiteDragon

Post by WhiteDragon »

Basher wrote: January 7th, 2022, 3:03 pm
kenpoprofessor wrote: January 7th, 2022, 12:10 pm

Clyde
No. Elaborate for me.

Edit: I understand the phrase. I’m just curious what specific issue you’re seeing. Do you feel ASP’s training is sub-par, all fluff, wrong entirely? Just curious what your specific issue is.
I think what Clyde refers to is the instructor's *ahem* field experience and competency in the subjects he teaches. I've known JC since he started ASP, which I lovingly dubbed "Active Self-Promotion". He has (or had) a good head on his shoulders and he's definitely a marketing genius.

The Sailor/Video-Game-Store-Manager-turned-gun-guru has taken a lot of expensive Law Enforcement-related Use of Force courses and has decent judgement on UoF cases, however, he recently made a bad call on a video showing a justified shooting by a cop and was SEVERELY chastised. This lost him a lot of his LE support. I warned him once about commenting on LE UoF w/o being a sworn officer himself and w/o being a certified LE UoF instructor. He didn't listen so it was inevitable he'd poop the bed, and that he did.

On the self-defense side... oooh boy, well, hes a Kenpo 2nd degree black belt, but we've never seen him do one technique nor spar. Basically, there's no way to ascertain his skill level. He also does some BJJ. Most everyone here knows my and Clyde's stance on these "Women’s Self-defense" courses so I'm not even gonna go there.

As with everything, the golden rule applies - buyer beware.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

The Golden Rule is "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

I think what you have in mind is "Let the caveat emptor." :mrgreen:
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

WhiteDragon wrote: January 7th, 2022, 7:47 pm ...., he recently made a bad call on a video showing a justified shoooting by a cop and was SEVERELY chastised.
Link/s, if you can? :)
WhiteDragon

Post by WhiteDragon »

pneuby wrote: January 9th, 2022, 8:40 pm
WhiteDragon wrote: January 7th, 2022, 7:47 pm ...., he recently made a bad call on a video showing a justified shoooting by a cop and was SEVERELY chastised.
Link/s, if you can? :)

He later doubles down by bringing a cop/fed friend of his. It didn't work. The officer was cleared by the Texas Rangers and a grand jury. For him not to admit he's wrong, well, I guess when you take thousands of dollars worth of courses you don't need experience.
Cwiggs
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Cwiggs »

WhiteDragon wrote: January 7th, 2022, 7:47 pm I think what Clyde refers to is the instructor's *ahem* field experience and competency in the subjects he teaches. I've known JC since he started ASP, which I lovingly dubbed "Active Self-Promotion". He has (or had) a good head on his shoulders and he's definitely a marketing genius.

The Sailor/Video-Game-Store-Manager-turned-gun-guru has taken a lot of expensive Law Enforcement-related Use of Force courses and has decent judgement on UoF cases, however, he recently made a bad call on a video showing a justified shooting by a cop and was SEVERELY chastised. This lost him a lot of his LE support. I warned him once about commenting on LE UoF w/o being a sworn officer himself and w/o being a certified LE UoF instructor. He didn't listen so it was inevitable he'd poop the bed, and that he did.
That's interesting because ASP recently posted this video:

A lot of people on the internet expressed disagreement with him siding with the LEO. So kinda either way it sounds like he is gonna get people who disagree; shocker.
On the self-defense side... oooh boy, well, hes a Kenpo 2nd degree black belt, but we've never seen him do one technique nor spar. Basically, there's no way to ascertain his skill level. He also does some BJJ. Most everyone here knows my and Clyde's stance on these "Women’s Self-defense" courses so I'm not even gonna go there.
I'm not aware of this "Women's Self-defense" stance, links? Or can you explain?
WhiteDragon

Post by WhiteDragon »

Cwiggs wrote: January 10th, 2022, 10:08 am
WhiteDragon wrote: January 7th, 2022, 7:47 pm I think what Clyde refers to is the instructor's *ahem* field experience and competency in the subjects he teaches. I've known JC since he started ASP, which I lovingly dubbed "Active Self-Promotion". He has (or had) a good head on his shoulders and he's definitely a marketing genius.

That's interesting because ASP recently posted this video:

A lot of people on the internet expressed disagreement with him siding with the LEO. So kinda either way it sounds like he is gonna get people who disagree; shocker.
I'm not aware of this "Women's Self-defense" stance, links? Or can you explain?
The difference is that many of the people who disagreed w him have the necessary credentials and certifications to be considered "Subject Matter Experts" on policy and UoF. He thinks because he took a bunch of courses (some online, mind you), he's Masaad Ayoob, he's not and he'll never be. He's never been a LEO AND he's not a certified LE trainer. That's not the same as being hired to talk to cops, but that doesn't make you a LE trainer. If he walks into courtroom to testify as a SME on a LE UoF case, any half-decent DA will easily pick him apart. He can make all the commentary on civilian UoF cases, I think he's well certified on that and makes good calls; regarding LE UoF cases, he has no business determining justification.

All Women’s Self-defense Courses are feel-good garbage. They are dangerous because they instill a false sense of security. You cannot build the necessary catalyst recognition nor develop the much needed procedural memory to be combat-effective in an afternoon... oh and let's not even go into combat-conditioning. All that takes YEARS! Clyde, myself and the rest of the black belts we train with have experience in the MA's that spans between 40 to 60 years. We've seen these scams our whole lives. You want to learn to defend yourself? Go into a school and put in the time, there's no quick fix and JC of all people should know that if he was a competent Kenpo guy.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

WhiteDragon wrote: January 9th, 2022, 9:01 pm The officer was cleared by the Texas Rangers and a grand jury. For him not to admit he's wrong, well, I guess when you take thousands of dollars worth of courses you don't need experience.
Yups, I agree. Pastor C done shite the bed on that one, him and his Gumba. :roll:
Thanks for the post and information, Sir!