was21 tried to kill me today !!

Discuss things related to firearm training and tactics.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

was21 tried to kill me today !!

Post by Boriqua »

So was 21 and I have been shooting once a week over at usery for the last couple months. We do as much bullshitting as we do shooting and it's nice to get out for a few hours each week to play.

Was21 knows his sh*t and my shooting has improved exponentially in just a couple months.

It's fun and as a former athletic guy turned old fart it's nice to have physical goals to set.

We set up different drills each week.

So this week I had brought a folding chair for one exercise and was 21 says " let's do this one first."

He ascribed the drill to Kyle Defoor.
Then he takes one of his target stands and starts walking down range ... And walking.. and walking.

So he puts it at about 50 yds

He drops a small cone at 5 yds, another at 10, one at 25 and one back about 50 yds from the target.

I am sitting there wondering .. what is this crazy bastid up to?

So get this!!! He says we are going to start standing right up against the target facing it.

I'm thinking, Alright I can do that but it's going to be hard to hit the target that close.

Nope when the timer goes off you turn and run back to the 50yd marker. Ok shuffle jog kinda really inelegant lumbering.

Was 21 is a tall thin guy so he glides along. I am more like a javelina, with three legs ... And a rash.

When you get to the 50 turn, 2 shots center mass.
Run up to the 25, 2 shots center mass
Run up to the 10, 2 head shots
Run up to the 5, 2 head shots

I am sure he will chime in to mock me if nothing else but I can swear the deal was we had to do it in under one minute.

I HATE running. I'm old and hate it even more than I did when I was young. It's hard to place good hits when you can't see through the snot bubbles caused by your vain attempt at getting oxygen!

I am sure he was trying to kill me!!

Before we started I told him I only had one request. Should I fall over and need mouth to mouth ... Just let me die. To which he agreed to readily! :D

Great time. I did three runs but it wasn't until number three that I had all good hits and my head shots were a tight group and ...

I wiped the sweat, spittle and snot from my face and held my head high ... feeling a little of last night's dinner in my throat but

I didn't die!

You will have to try harder next time!
Last edited by Boriqua on August 4th, 2021, 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

xerts1191

Re: was21 tried to kill me today !!

Post by xerts1191 »

Buy lots of Tylenol and ammo
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

fan of aleve myself
Rj
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

And it was HOT!

And I look like a California raise except maybe darker and I can't dance as smooth
was21

Post by was21 »

“””I didn't die!

You will have to try harder next time!”””

Well OK then!.... got it in writing.🤣😂🤣😂
was21

Post by was21 »

... oh and don’t believe Alex when he said he was slow.....he’s slower than that!🤣😂
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

was21 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 7:08 am ... oh and don’t believe Alex when he said he was slow.....he’s slower than that!🤣😂
Hey Now .. I made it under the goal time .. good by me!!! :dance:

But now I have to work on the running which I havent done sine I was 30. Fuk!! :?
Old Jeff H
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Old Jeff H »

Glad you didn't die...
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

Pick me! I want to do that kind of stuff!
Noshoot

Post by Noshoot »

Try a “Scunion” when you have a chance. It’s a lot of fun.

I’ve only done it twice myself, best time to shoot it clean out of those two attempts was 1:17…
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Jack Dupp wrote: August 5th, 2021, 8:48 pm Pick me! I want to do that kind of stuff!
It really is a blast. I have mentioned in other posts, that I am not overly concerned with my next big gun fight. I'm pretty sure if I were going to get killed it would have happened already.

For me the outings are akin to the guys that meet on Friday night with a buddy to go to the bar and have some fun. Except this is healthy and doesn't involve drinking. In my youth I was very athletic and played a few sports and particapated in group sports and individual competition right up until I was about 35. So this fed right in.

Challenging the clock, moving around and chasing the times of was21 ( never going to happen but I am going to keep trying) and a copious amount of just general bullshitting and laughs about whatever.

Its my version of the bar.

If I happen to be practicing things and learning new things that prepare me for the "next big gun fight"

BONUS BONUS BONUS!!

the week previous we had done the Dozier drill among other things and we did it from the standing postion.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/art ... zier-drill

So this last week in addition to running 300 freagin yds we did the dozier drill again but I brought a chair so we could start from the seated position as if we were sitting at the table having dinner.. Rise and fire but was21 decided we would hate to knock over the food on our plate so then we started with the first shot being a draw and fire from the seated position then stand and complete. FUN!

We did some hostage stuff with a target in front and then one really obscured in the back and a wall to stop movement to the right.

Lets just say if you are ever a hostage and I am on the other side .. beg me not to take the shot. No excuses but .. it was hot and I was blown out .. still you have to make that and I did .. except the hostage was going to the hospital.

The revolver drill was a lot of fun and I nailed it .. with a revolver but not so much with a semi. These things piss me off so I spend a a few minutes every day practicing mostly so I can shut was21 up on our next outing ... all in good fun.

We will do double hits on multiple targets and timed 5-6 shot strings to check for muzzle rise.

It sure beats shooting in lanes at an indoor range. My time from draw to first good hit has gone from 2.34 to 1.65 in just the last few weeks. Was21 is always hovering at about 1.3-1.35 so I have some more practice to do. I was getting solid 1.8's from the holster while sliding right and getting solid hits.

Like I said .. its fun and its good to get out of the house and talk to a real person and not just type to people on the internet... still .. before I die ... 1.3 draw to good hit so look out Was21.
Last edited by Boriqua on August 6th, 2021, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kinked_Chrome

Post by Kinked_Chrome »

Very cool. I need to get some of this training in. I'm signed up for The Tactical Games at Ben Avery in Oct. Right now my physical training and shooting training are completely separate.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

At 50 yards, I'm not running towards the threat....
Maybe you're closer to a burger joint at that point..
was21

Post by was21 »

Pro2a wrote: August 7th, 2021, 12:54 pm At 50 yards, I'm not running towards the threat....
Good thing that you know what you would do in any situation....
Enjoying a double double and a shake while a child is molested 50 yards away . 🙈
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Pro2a wrote: August 7th, 2021, 12:54 pm At 50 yards, I'm not running towards the threat....
I don't honestly know how you don't see the value in that drill.

First assuming you never have to take a 50 shot and then close as you move from cover to cover and while admittedly a rare situation for a civilian ... Its not that far out.

Church, Walmart, anywhere where escape is not a good choice and you have no alternative but to fight.

Aside from that.. assuming the probability of having to close or having to take a 50 yd shot, here are a few things of value.

You start at the target and you have to complete the drill in a minute or under. Now I am no youngster and can't run as fast as I used to or for that matter can't run effectively at all.

So I push myself to cover the 50 yds. Then you turn draw from the holster and take two shots. Your heart rate is elevated and you are probably breathing a bit heavy. Both things ARE going to affect your shooting. If you ever get in a fight where shooting has started even at 10 yds. You are likely to have an adrenaline dump and you will be breathing heavy and your heart rate will be elevated. You can somewhat replicate that by starting with the run as fast as you can to make time. You can probably cover that distance much faster than I can so I have to get on my sights and take my first shots at 50 yds a bit faster. Valuable thing to learn even if you don't believe it has practical value.

Now when you take off running to the 25 yd you have to reaquire your sights under even more self induced stress and make the shots .. still thinking about that minute so pushing yourself to get on the sights quick and make good hits.

Then we ran another 15 yds to the 10yd marker. By now that heart is pumping good. Now 2 in the head. The head on was21's target is maybe 6x6 .. maybe.

Run another 5 yds and 2 more to the head. My 4 shot group to the head was around 4 inches or the size of a fist. That is after running nearly 100 yds. Lots of value even if you think closing on a bad guy is unlikely or foolish.

Taking 2 shots from the 50 requires very good trigger control and grip. I don't have the greatest eye sight anymore so I depend a lot on my grip and trigger control when the blurry thing is in the sights.

If you can make good hits at 50 .. how much better and faster might you be at 10.

If you can make 2 good hits at 50 winded and your heart rate messing with your eyeballs and with you working against the bounce your heart beat ... Well that is of value.

The exercise has a lot of value and for me is just plain fun... If I happen to learn something that may very well have a practical application in the real world .... Bonus!!! because I don't think it's as far out as you think.

In my aluminum tube home if I shoot from my bedroom to the kitchen it's a 30 yd shot .. if I chose to take it, yes I would be closing and if you train yourself to shoot under duress even if it's manufactured by the run ... It's solid practice. Still .. I hate running and I still managed a not impressive 43 seconds with solid hits.

Next time your out fo something that gets your heart rate pumping. Do 50 pushups, do 100 jumping jacks or run 50 yds as fast as you can. Make sure that heart is going and your breathing is labored. Now shoot and shoot for accuracy on the move. Great test and exercise.
Last edited by Boriqua on August 8th, 2021, 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.