Cool Android shooting app

Discuss things related to firearm training and tactics.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Cool Android shooting app

Post by Boriqua »

I have been shooting primarily at indoor ranges for the last 15 years. Some outdoors but mostly indoors. I am accurate and can hit what I am aiming at but at many indoor ranges you are not allowed to practice from the holster so while I have practiced at home .. the proof is in the shooting.

Recently I have gone out with a board member and was struggling to overcome some muscle memory things to bring my first shot time down. It was pretty horrible and my best time was 2.27 making a good shot touching the small orange circle in the center of the target at about 5-6 yds.

So went back home to try and work out some things and found a tool that works really well and its free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... com.stimer

you want to use it someplace that is reasonably quiet as you are doing this with dry fire. I dont know how well it will work with strikers but it picks up my hammer on my sig 229 fine.

I keep the phone about 2 feet to my left. In the settings you can set the level of noise that will set it off manually or automatically. I set it automatically. You will have to look for the setting but you will get a message on the screen that says record .. stay very quiet and extend your arms as if you are taking a shot and pull the trigger once and wait for the recording to stop.

Boom set! At its most sensitive setting it picks up the draw from the holster which might be good information but I was interested in time to shot. Works like charm. Of course .. I wont know for certain who well I am coming on the sights until I actually fire live rounds and see where they land but it does allow me to practice the stroke, grip and trigger pull and to train out some learned behavior. Oh .. and its fun

I put a post it on the wall, stand about 10ft back with the phone about 18"-2ft to my left and put snap caps in the gun. Done. If you have an android .. check it out.

Of course .. be very careful you have double checked for safe gun before starting.

Goes without saying but .. like motorcycling .. smooth is fast.

thom

Re: Cool Android shooting app

Post by thom »

Thanks for the help.
Thom
xerts1911

Post by xerts1911 »

ED7FD515-1B01-40ED-92C3-257BBE862728.jpeg
I’m guessing this won’t work with my phone
Flash

Post by Flash »

Probably not mine either.

xerts1911

Post by xerts1911 »

:lol:
superduty38

Post by superduty38 »

If you want to see where you are hitting get a laser bullet. I have been using this one for a while and it works great with my P229, also on sale. https://www.g-sight.com/
Thanks for the tip on the timer I will have to try it.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

superduty38 wrote: April 24th, 2021, 1:42 pm If you want to see where you are hitting get a laser bullet. I have been using this one for a while and it works great with my P229, also on sale. https://www.g-sight.com/
Thanks for the tip on the timer I will have to try it.
I recently bought the unlimited shots option for $5. Free app version is a 10 round limit, with unlimited resets. It also has a timer with adjustable settings, I'm assuming for another $5.
I really love this system for the home. It gives you the feedback that we naturally crave, as opposed to blind dry firing with "no results" in the moment.