Outdoor shooting close to Mesa

Discuss things related to firearm training and tactics.
reconshawn
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Outdoor shooting close to Mesa

Post by reconshawn »

Anyone know where I can shoot outdoors, close to Mesa? What I mean by close is less then 20 miles. Thanks for your input.

Boriqua

Re: Outdoor shooting close to Mesa

Post by Boriqua »

dont know if it is still open to shooting or closed with fire restrictions but if you go down old bush hway and cross over the 87 there is a small parking lot. Its a big place for Off roaders.

On google maps it looks like its called out as Sycamore creek trail head but I have been to this area 100+ times and I dont recall ever seeing a sign that says "Sycamore creek trail head"

You cant miss it. If you go up from the 60 on ellsworth you go through usary pass and take the first right on the other side. Ride it out past butcher jones and you cross the highway.

I have NEVER shot out there but know its a popular shooting spot. I think it is called ironwood wash. Plenty of gun fire there some days and like I said lots of 4 wheelers out playing

I know there is shooting out by sugerloaf based on the sound but I have been out there on a motorcycle and I dont get to close to the shooting when I am out riding.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

There really isn't anywhere that close; The spot Boriqua is talking about has posted No Shooting signs, last time I was there a few years ago.

Queen Valley is the closest you can get these days...but here is a map with tons of options.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 852101&z=8
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

QuietM4 wrote: January 1st, 2021, 11:38 am There really isn't anywhere that close; The spot Boriqua is talking about has posted No Shooting signs, last time I was there a few years ago.

Queen Valley is the closest you can get these days...but here is a map with tons of options.
You could go to Rio Salado, but I bet you are looking for an 'unsupervised' shooting spot.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

QuietM4 wrote: January 1st, 2021, 11:38 am There really isn't anywhere that close; The spot Boriqua is talking about has posted No Shooting signs, last time I was there a few years ago.

Like I said I don't shoot there but there was shooting allowed this past early summer there. There was a sizable fire that closed down the area all the way to butcher jones and it's been posted since but before that it was open and not posted. I may ride out that way tomorrow. Its my .." I wanna go for a ride but I have no place to go so I will take the bike there and back" ride so I am in the area pretty often.

Pretty ride!

and there was shooting in the late spring at Sugerloaf.
reconshawn

Post by reconshawn »

Thanks for the input guys, great ideas on where to shoot. We went over to Queen Valley. Not a great place to shoot, but it did the job for sure.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

reconshawn wrote: January 7th, 2021, 6:18 pm Thanks for the input guys, great ideas on where to shoot. We went over to Queen Valley. Not a great place to shoot, but it did the job for sure.
No one will tell you about the "good spots"...that's why they are still good.
reconshawn

Post by reconshawn »

Lol, you have a good point.
TheJediknight

Post by TheJediknight »

I shot at Rio Today.